1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Label magnifiers

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Fearless36, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Fearless36

Fearless36 · Well-Known Member

So I’m struggling reading food labels and someone mentioned to me I could get hold of a label magnifier. I did a quick search and haven’t been able to find anything that does the job. A nurse told me that Diabetes UK sold them and I searched their website and gave them a call and they made me feel like I was going crazy.

has anyone found anything that helps with food labels? I mean I think a lot of food manufactures make the info so small anyhow but there must be something that works?

2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I don't have such a think, but good old eBay have lots:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...fier.TRS0&_nkw=credit+card+magnifier&_sacat=0

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you have a smartphone you can simply make a picture of the label and zoom in on the picture. Or you could use an old fashioned magnifying glass.

edit: Skip the magnifying glass, those card magnifyers @DCUKMod linked to look way more practical! I had no clue something like that existed, very clever. (And now I want one, even though I can still read labels when the lighting is adequate :D)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

5. TeddyTottie

TeddyTottie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You don’t even need to take a photo, you can zoom the live image on your phone camera. I did buy some very cheap credit card magnifiers and the quality wasn’t good enough, the image was poor even though it was bigger, so just check that they look decent.

Now I just carry a pair of old reading specs with me, seemed the best option in the end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. Perminder1

Perminder1 · Well-Known Member

Reading glasses

8. Fearless36

@DCUKMod linked to look way more practical! I had no clue something like that existed, very clever. (And now I want one, even though I can still read labels when the lighting is adequate :D)[/QUOTE]
    Do you have a link to these card magnifiers?

9. Fearless36

I did buy some magnifying glasses on amazon but they aren’t that portable and so I heard a nurse on my DAFNE course mention that some were available on Diabetes UK but I couldn’t see them anywhere

10. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Do you have a link to these card magnifiers?[/QUOTE]

It's already in the post I made. Post 2 in this thread.

11. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I have a card magnifier got mine from Amazon easy to carry round with you in a wallet or purse.

I have also noticed a tendency for manufacturers to arrange text and background in colours that make the text virtually unreadable I don't know what can be done about that.

12. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

13. Fearless36

ah apologies - I see it now!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook