High BG levels all week

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. My BG levels have been very high all week - 12-15. The weeks before all around 5-6. I saw my doc who ran blood tests, all of which have come back showing nothing out of the ordinary. I’m awaiting my Hba1c which was on course to be around 37 but goodness knows what it will be now as I know the most recent two weeks is a factor.

Any suggestions please? I feel ok but it is just slowly climbing. My blood ketones are around 1. I’m very very LC and trying to skip meals but nothing seems to make a difference. Would appreciate any wise words.

Ps. I should add that my levels suddenly went up overnight and stayed there, creeping up from 11.3 to 14.9 today. They just won’t budge, even if I don’t eat anything.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Flora123,

Hugs, can really empathize with how you feel. How frustrating this must feel.

As to blood sugars, personally I would watch it for a bit and see if it returns to normal by itself.

If it doesn't, it probably is worth exploring further. Did you ever have a C-peptide test?

Reactions: Flora123

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My BG levels have been very high all week - 12-15. The weeks before all around 5-6. I saw my doc who ran blood tests, all of which have come back showing nothing out of the ordinary. I’m awaiting my Hba1c which was on course to be around 37 but goodness knows what it will be now as I know the most recent two weeks is a factor.

Any suggestions please? I feel ok but it is just slowly climbing. My blood ketones are around 1. I’m very very LC and trying to skip meals but nothing seems to make a difference. Would appreciate any wise words.

Ps. I should add that my levels suddenly went up overnight and stayed there, creeping up from 11.3 to 14.9 today. They just won’t budge, even if I don’t eat anything.

Flora - Did your Doc do a urine dip test? You could have a low grade UTI going on there, maybe, perhaps?

Did he also check your lymph glands? Rashes at all?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Flora123,

Hugs, can really empathize with how you feel. How frustrating this must feel.

As to blood sugars, personally I would watch it for a bit and see if it returns to normal by itself.

If it doesn't, it probably is worth exploring further. Did you ever have a C-peptide test?

Thanks. Yes I did have one on diagnosis, although seems different to others I heard heard having one. Urine sample 2hrs after eating (my meal consisted of 4g carbs - not sure if that made a difference) It was ok apparently and they said T2. (Negative?)

Strange that it just stays high and never really fluctuates throughout the day, as it would normally, albeit lower.

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flora - Did your Doc do a urine dip test? You could have a low grade UTI going on there, maybe, perhaps?

Did he also check your lymph glands? Rashes at all?

No he didn’t. No rashes but I think UTI or lymph would be up in blood tests somewhere.... maybe ?!

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No he didn’t. No rashes but I think UTI or lymph would she up in blood tests somewhere.... maybe ?!
not everything shows I the bloods, although a galloping infection might have shown increased white cells. The dip is just a quick, focused "look".

Aside from anxiety about the numbers, how are you feeling in yourself?

Are you using a new pot or batch of strips? You can sometimes have a rogue box or batch with variable results.

Reactions: Todd1974

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
not everything shows I the bloods, although a galloping infection might have shown increased white cells. The dip is just a quick, focused "look".

Aside from anxiety about the numbers, how are you feeling in yourself?

Are you using a new pot or batch of strips? You can sometimes have a rogue box or batch with variable results.

I feel fine in myself apart from symptoms relating to high BG - itchy skin and the odd mild headache. I did think of the strips being at fault so a changed pots to a different batch.

I’m going to try longer fasting to see if that does anything. All a bit strange.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So an update. My BG level is beginning to climb daily. I awoke to 17 this morning despite a modest meal at 6 pm last night. My skin is itchy which I’ve always associated with high BG but a bit of googling has scared the heck out of me - kidney failure, liver disease etc. My liver function was ok as was kidney in blood test. I’ll try and see the doc today again in case this gets worse over the weekend.

Ps. Added to say doc is baffled.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Flora123

Hugs for the high blood sugars -- I really empathize.

If seeing your GP today, could you ask for another c-peptide test? I realize you had one at diagnosis, but things might have changed in the meantime. Possibly you are T1/LADA rather than T2 after all.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Flora123

Hugs for the high blood sugars -- I really empathize.

If seeing your GP today, could you ask for another c-peptide test? I realize you had one at diagnosis, but things might have changed in the meantime. Possibly you are T1/LADA rather than T2 after all.

Yeh I’ve been wondering that too but would my levels go up overnight? He was supposed to call back today but hasn’t. I might suggest it when I get to speak, probably Monday now. Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You may be brewing something.
You may be brewing something.

Yes, this happens when I'm brewing an infection - it's useful and I now use it as an indicator of something going on. Once the "bug" has developed and for the duration of the illness my blood sugars get better, then when the infection is on it's way out, they go silly again for a day or two. It remains the same whatever I do with my insulin, I just do loads of tests to keep a closer eye on things.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Flora123 - I see you have ketone strips. Have you tested when your blood is around 18?

Here is what the NHS has to say about blood ketones. Please forgive my clumsy highlighting.:

upload_2020-6-12_20-28-20.png

Edited to add source url: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabe...text=If you do a blood,GP as soon as possible

Reactions: EllieM

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Flora123 - I see you have ketone strips. Have you tested when your blood is around 18?

Here is what the NHS has to say about blood ketones. Please forgive my clumsy highlighting.:

View attachment 42022

Edited to add source url: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabe...text=If you do a blood,GP as soon as possible

Thanks for that info. I tested this morning at 17 and ketones were 2.0. I’m not particularly worried about that (as stated I should be in the above nhs info) as I follow a very low carb WOE and will be in ketosis - or have I got that all wrong? My BG is 15 tonight and ketones 1.1. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that info. I tested this morning at 17 and ketones were 2.0. I’m not particularly worried about that (as stated I should be in the above nhs info) as I follow a very low carb WOE and will be in ketosis - or have I got that all wrong? My BG is 15 tonight and ketones 1.1. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks.

In this instance, I'd suggest forgetting ketosis. Ketosis is usually associated with much lower blood glucose.

High blood glucose, plus ketones are amber lights at best, I'd say.

Please heed the NHS guidelines in this instance.

Better safe than sorry, if you have ketones to any degree.

I wonder if @Juicyj , @Antje77 or @Jaylee are around to comment.

I could be wrong, Flora, but it's not to be messed with, in my view.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In T1's the main problem with a keto diet (as you've been following) is that the diet means you have ketones, which makes you lose ketones as an indicator of big trouble.

In your case, the ketones don't tell you anything, a ketone test doesn't differentiate between nutritional ketosis and ketones as a precursor of DKA.

In T1's, a bg as high as yours + ketones is very alarming. Your situation is a bit different because you only have the high bg as an information source because of your diet.
Whatever is going on, having a keto WOE plus bg's this high indicates something is wrong. Without further testing there is no way to tell if you're having something brewing which messes up your T2 or if you have been misdiagnosed and have had your honeymoon period covered by your diet.

But whichever is the cause, with your bg that high and already avoiding carbs, I agree with @DCUKMod and I wouldn't wait out the weekend before getting medical advice and/or treatment.

Wish you all the best, and please don't take chances!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In T1's the main problem with a keto diet (as you've been following) is that the diet means you have ketones, which makes you lose ketones as an indicator of big trouble.

In your case, the ketones don't tell you anything, a ketone test doesn't differentiate between nutritional ketosis and ketones as a precursor of DKA.

In T1's, a bg as high as yours + ketones is very alarming. Your situation is a bit different because you only have the high bg as an information source because of your diet.
Whatever is going on, having a keto WOE plus bg's this high indicates something is wrong. Without further testing there is no way to tell if you're having something brewing which messes up your T2 or if you have been misdiagnosed and have had your honeymoon period covered by your diet.

But whichever is the cause, with your bg that high and already avoiding carbs, I agree with @DCUKMod and I wouldn't wait out the weekend before getting medical advice and/or treatment.

Wish you all the best, and please don't take chances!

Thanks. Will call tomorrow

Reactions: Antje77