1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High BG levels all week

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Flora123, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi. My BG levels have been very high all week - 12-15. The weeks before all around 5-6. I saw my doc who ran blood tests, all of which have come back showing nothing out of the ordinary. I’m awaiting my Hba1c which was on course to be around 37 but goodness knows what it will be now as I know the most recent two weeks is a factor.

Any suggestions please? I feel ok but it is just slowly climbing. My blood ketones are around 1. I’m very very LC and trying to skip meals but nothing seems to make a difference. Would appreciate any wise words.

Ps. I should add that my levels suddenly went up overnight and stayed there, creeping up from 11.3 to 14.9 today. They just won’t budge, even if I don’t eat anything.

• Hug Hug x 3
    #1 Flora123, Jun 10, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You may be brewing something.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Flora123

I thought that but assumed something would have shown by now. So frustrating and I’m worried sick.

4. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Worry and stress will feed your levels.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Flora123

Easier said than done. Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Flora123,

Hugs, can really empathize with how you feel. How frustrating this must feel.

As to blood sugars, personally I would watch it for a bit and see if it returns to normal by itself.

If it doesn't, it probably is worth exploring further. Did you ever have a C-peptide test?

• Like Like x 1
  7. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Flora - Did your Doc do a urine dip test? You could have a low grade UTI going on there, maybe, perhaps?

Did he also check your lymph glands? Rashes at all?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Flora123

Thanks. Yes I did have one on diagnosis, although seems different to others I heard heard having one. Urine sample 2hrs after eating (my meal consisted of 4g carbs - not sure if that made a difference) It was ok apparently and they said T2. (Negative?)

Strange that it just stays high and never really fluctuates throughout the day, as it would normally, albeit lower.

#8 Flora123, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  9. Flora123

No he didn’t. No rashes but I think UTI or lymph would be up in blood tests somewhere.... maybe ?!

#9 Flora123, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:06 PM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  10. DCUKMod

not everything shows I the bloods, although a galloping infection might have shown increased white cells. The dip is just a quick, focused "look".

Aside from anxiety about the numbers, how are you feeling in yourself?

Are you using a new pot or batch of strips? You can sometimes have a rogue box or batch with variable results.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Flora123

I feel fine in myself apart from symptoms relating to high BG - itchy skin and the odd mild headache. I did think of the strips being at fault so a changed pots to a different batch.

I’m going to try longer fasting to see if that does anything. All a bit strange.

12. Flora123

So an update. My BG level is beginning to climb daily. I awoke to 17 this morning despite a modest meal at 6 pm last night. My skin is itchy which I’ve always associated with high BG but a bit of googling has scared the heck out of me - kidney failure, liver disease etc. My liver function was ok as was kidney in blood test. I’ll try and see the doc today again in case this gets worse over the weekend.

Ps. Added to say doc is baffled.

• Hug Hug x 3
    #12 Flora123, Jun 12, 2020 at 7:37 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  13. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Flora123

Hugs for the high blood sugars -- I really empathize.

If seeing your GP today, could you ask for another c-peptide test? I realize you had one at diagnosis, but things might have changed in the meantime. Possibly you are T1/LADA rather than T2 after all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Flora123

Yeh I’ve been wondering that too but would my levels go up overnight? He was supposed to call back today but hasn’t. I might suggest it when I get to speak, probably Monday now. Thanks

15. Neonataldiabetes

Neonataldiabetes Type 1 · Member

Yes, this happens when I'm brewing an infection - it's useful and I now use it as an indicator of something going on. Once the "bug" has developed and for the duration of the illness my blood sugars get better, then when the infection is on it's way out, they go silly again for a day or two. It remains the same whatever I do with my insulin, I just do loads of tests to keep a closer eye on things.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DCUKMod

• Like Like x 1
  17. Flora123

Thanks for that info. I tested this morning at 17 and ketones were 2.0. I’m not particularly worried about that (as stated I should be in the above nhs info) as I follow a very low carb WOE and will be in ketosis - or have I got that all wrong? My BG is 15 tonight and ketones 1.1. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks.

#17 Flora123, Jun 12, 2020 at 10:27 PM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  18. DCUKMod

In this instance, I'd suggest forgetting ketosis. Ketosis is usually associated with much lower blood glucose.

High blood glucose, plus ketones are amber lights at best, I'd say.

Please heed the NHS guidelines in this instance.

Better safe than sorry, if you have ketones to any degree.

I wonder if @Juicyj , @Antje77 or @Jaylee are around to comment.

I could be wrong, Flora, but it's not to be messed with, in my view.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

In T1's the main problem with a keto diet (as you've been following) is that the diet means you have ketones, which makes you lose ketones as an indicator of big trouble.

In your case, the ketones don't tell you anything, a ketone test doesn't differentiate between nutritional ketosis and ketones as a precursor of DKA.

In T1's, a bg as high as yours + ketones is very alarming. Your situation is a bit different because you only have the high bg as an information source because of your diet.
    Whatever is going on, having a keto WOE plus bg's this high indicates something is wrong. Without further testing there is no way to tell if you're having something brewing which messes up your T2 or if you have been misdiagnosed and have had your honeymoon period covered by your diet.

But whichever is the cause, with your bg that high and already avoiding carbs, I agree with @DCUKMod and I wouldn't wait out the weekend before getting medical advice and/or treatment.

Wish you all the best, and please don't take chances!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Flora123

Thanks. Will call tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook