Type 2 High Ketones and BG!?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Following on from my other posts - is this combination of high ketones and high BG always a problem? Can one have high BG due to an infection or bug brewing but still have ketones due to a Keto diet? Getting worried now as I assumed I was just still in ketosis. I have no classic symptoms.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Following on from my other posts - is this combination of high ketones and high BG always a problem? Can one have high BG due to an infection or bug brewing but still have ketones due to a Keto diet? Getting worried now as I assumed I was just still in ketosis. I have no classic symptoms.

I don't think it's necessarily always a problem, but T2s can get DKA (though it's rare) and if your blood sugars are staying high then you are at risk. I'd call 111 and get advice, if nothing else. Untreated DKA can be fatal quite quickly. (Plus if there is any chance that you a misdiagnosed T1, which happens a lot more than you'd think, you are at very high risk).

Just read your previous thread. I think you should get help now. Good luck.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

You may well be in a form of "nutritional ketosis."
However. your reported BGs on your other topic Might suggest you are not..?

Be safe. Get checked out with an NHS calibrated BG meter & avoid Ketoacidosis. which no ketone meter (from my understanding.) can not distinguish the difference.Only the BG range can.

I cant stress from my personal experience in the past, how helpful 111 can be..give them the information about your recent BGs & ketone readings.

Best wishes.

Reactions: EllieM and Flora123
M

Member496333

Whatever the cause of the elevated BG, an accompanying rise in circulating insulin, irrespective of its efficacy in moving glucose around, should still put the brakes on ketogenesis. If you’re producing ketones simultaneously with high glucose then, in all likelihood, there’s a major insulin deficiency.

On that basis I say yes it’s still dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator: