LCHF Diet 3 years in.

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone reading this is new to the forum and trying to deal with their RH you are in the right place for advice. Whilst not “experts” certain people on here are extremely knowledgable on all aspects of RH and will give you great advice and support. Lamont D and Brunneria to name but two.

I have had RH for around 50 years.
Whilst in the early years my “funny turns” were quite infrequent as the years went by they became more frequent and then about 5 years ago became very frequent.
My RH had never been diagnosed by doctors although I never sought their diagnosis in my adult years. During childhood my RH had baffled any doctor I saw. I was led to believe I was gluten intolerant which caused my severe drop in energy, profuse sweats and often almost blackout. I sort of learnt to live with them and always had a chocolate bar on hand to get me out of trouble.
The turning point came just over 3 years when I collapsed in a restaurant after a very high carb meal. An ambulance ride to A&E made me determined to take action.
I then discovered this forum and the idea of a LCHF diet.
After a frustrating start I learnt what to eat and what not to eat and have never looked back.
After being on a LCHF diet for more than 3 year now my RH is totally in control.
I have adjusted my carb intake up a little over the years and find I can tolerate occasional whole wheat pasta or brown rice meals.
I have had a couple of blips over the past 3 years due to lowering my guard a little - a few pints and a large piece of cake and I get what I deserve.
Friends/family criticised me at first saying I couldn’t live without carbs but I am proving them wrong.
LCHF is without doubt the way to go and has changed my life enormously.
Overall I feel great and at last in control of my RH.
At the beginning I had some great help from this forum and would like to thank everyone for that but special thanks goes to @Lamont D and @Brunneria .
Keep up the great work guys.

Edited to create tags

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MrsA2

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have RH but agree that there is a lot of expertise on these boards and people are very generous with their time.

Yes low carbs is absolutely possible. I think physically there no issue- my brain is slowly catching up. You can absolutely live low or no carbs.

I l.ove stories like these- it reminds us all what is possible and lets new people know that while their life might change that change may be actually for the better- what a wonderful message that is.

Congratulations!

Reactions: algarvedave

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Great! I’m only 3 months in, glad to know it’s sustainable.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If anyone reading this is new to the forum and trying to deal with their RH you are in the right place for advice. Whilst not “experts” certain people on here are extremely knowledgable on all aspects of RH and will give you great advice and support. Lamont D and Brunneria to name but two.

I have had RH for around 50 years.
Whilst in the early years my “funny turns” were quite infrequent as the years went by they became more frequent and then about 5 years ago became very frequent.
My RH had never been diagnosed by doctors although I never sought their diagnosis in my adult years. During childhood my RH had baffled any doctor I saw. I was led to believe I was gluten intolerant which caused my severe drop in energy, profuse sweats and often almost blackout. I sort of learnt to live with them and always had a chocolate bar on hand to get me out of trouble.
The turning point came just over 3 years when I collapsed in a restaurant after a very high carb meal. An ambulance ride to A&E made me determined to take action.
I then discovered this forum and the idea of a LCHF diet.
After a frustrating start I learnt what to eat and what not to eat and have never looked back.
After being on a LCHF diet for more than 3 year now my RH is totally in control.
I have adjusted my carb intake up a little over the years and find I can tolerate occasional whole wheat pasta or brown rice meals.
I have had a couple of blips over the past 3 years due to lowering my guard a little - a few pints and a large piece of cake and I get what I deserve.
Friends/family criticised me at first saying I couldn’t live without carbs but I am proving them wrong.
LCHF is without doubt the way to go and has changed my life enormously.
Overall I feel great and at last in control of my RH.
At the beginning I had some great help from this forum and would like to thank everyone for that but special thanks goes to @Lamont D and @Brunneria .
Keep up the great work guys.

Edited to create tags

First of all, it's really great to hear how well you are doing!
The best thing for me, is that something as rare and unknown in the past that is Hypoglycaemia, can be controlled and shown to improve the patient's health so much by going against medical dietary advice. It is changing!
I have always been proud to use my experience, my battle to get a true diagnosis and using this forum to help others, who can understand and get advice that actually works!
Thank you @algarvedave, and @Brunneria, it means a lot to me!

Keep safe

Reactions: algarvedave

algarvedave

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Great! I’m only 3 months in, glad to know it’s sustainable.
Stick at it LaoDan, It can be hard at first. I had serious energy dips, weight loss (which i don't need) and lots of leg cramps in the early weeks.
It can take a while for your body to get used to low carbs. I really had to crank up my fat intake.

Reactions: LaoDan