Approved Quick Survey/Quiz for Diabetes II research Project

Hi, I am a Physician Assistant student and, due to COVID-19, must conduct my required research project online. Part of my research project is to administer a short survey in an effort to correlate knowledge of the diabetic disease process with blood sugar control in diagnosed Type 2 Diabetics. This survey takes 3 minutes to complete and simply requires your last Hemoglobin A1C level, basic demographic information, and your answers to 6 quiz questions. Your responses are anonymous and your participation is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Here is the link to to surveymonkey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Y9KPPYT

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am a Physician Assistant student and, due to COVID-19, must conduct my required research project online. Part of my research project is to administer a short survey in an effort to correlate knowledge of the diabetic disease process with blood sugar control in diagnosed Type 2 Diabetics. This survey takes 3 minutes to complete and simply requires your last Hemoglobin A1C level, basic demographic information, and your answers to 6 quiz questions. Your responses are anonymous and your participation is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
One comment; obesity is a *symptom* of (pre)diabetes. Making it not a risk factor but an indicator.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your questions are a bit poorly worded and in a couple of cases simply incorrect.
If you want I'm happy to go through it with you..

Edit to add I'll do it anyway.

Q6 the A1c goal for most T2s shoudl be sub 6%
Q7 All of the answers can raise blood sugar so your "correct" answer "intense exercise" is wrong
Q8 COPD may or may not be a result of poor blood sugar control but you can;t say fo rsure that it isn't.
Q9 the last 2 answers could both be considered to be correct in some cases
Q10 as has been said above obesity is more likely a symptom than a cause so not a "risk factor" per se.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to do the survey but reached a question which I could not answer as none of the answers would reduce my blood glucose. Intense exercise raises my blood glucose.
I was a little doubtful about the education level too - the terms are different here in the IK.

Reactions: LaoDan

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JonathanPAstudent I live in the US - (this is an international diabetes website). I'm also struggling with question 6. The US and UK have the same A1c range for diabetes, but not for "normal" and "pre-diabetes" A1c levels. The A1c ranges used in the UK for diagnosis can be found here in the "HbA1c test for diabetes diagnosis" section)... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html#:~:text=Indications of diabetes or prediabetes,mol (6.5% or over)

You may find this conversion chart helpful - (I saved it on my computer and use it a lot here)... https://mobile.twitter.com/Diabetescouk/status/342654280404189184 Also t

Obesity does not cause type 2 diabetes. I weighed 105 pounds when my blood glucose levels began to swing up and down in my mid-20's and gained weight as my untreated diabetes developed and worsened over the decades that followed.

Pediatric endocrinologist Robert Lustig, MD at UCSF who specializes in neuroendocrinology and childhood obesity, speaks specifically to the misinformation about "obesity and diabetes" regularly in his lectures. Go to YouTube, search for his most recent lecture for Low Carb Down Under, "Prof. Robert Lustig - 'Sugar, metabolic syndrome, and cancer' Once there begin at minute 6:23 and listen for 6 minutes to his discussion of "Problems #2 and #3". Pay particular attention to his "TOFI: Relation between visceral and subcutaneous obesity (TOFI: thin on the outside, fat on the inside)" slide and discussion.

In addition to question 6, I'm also struggling with questions 7 - 10. Diabetes is a complex condition. The more I learn the less I know. I'm five years into this learning curve.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I partly completed it, but found most options irrelevant, inaccurate,or not appropriate to UK

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am afraid that I agree with the responses above.
There were too many questions which were based on assumptions that I do not believe apply to T2 diabetes.
For example, obesity is a symptom, not a risk factor, different people have different blood glucose targets, different national blood glucose levels for diagnosis, and impact of exercise on blood glucose.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with the others. I got some wrong because the quiz is wrong and makes assumptions that are simply not true and are based on outdated beliefs. I also got some right as they were the least wrong answers despite all actually being at least partially wrong.
I worry about the outcome of the study and future patients if this is the level of up to date knowledge being taught .....

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do I withdraw my consent for my data in this to be used, please, @JonathanPAstudent ?
I attempted to complete the questionnaire, but left most responses blank. I wish to record my disagreement with the assertions you have made regarding T2 diabetes.
I think established members here have much greater, accurate knowledge of diabetes than demonstrated in your questionnaire response options.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek and HSSS