Unable to lose weight

midiman

Hi, I am unable to lose weight and I appear to have stagnated at a certain weight.
I'm 43, 6ft 4 and 20 stone and I go to the gym 2-3 times a week.

My diet is not too bad and I rarely have any sugar or carbs. I tend to live on low protein dieting shakes, eggs, low fat chicken, and veg.

I would like to get back down to what I used to be which was around 16 stone in my mid 30's.

On the plus side of things I have lost half a stone in a month and it doesn't appear to be coming back on. with the diet I am currently using.

My aim is to bring my weight down without losing too much muscle so that I can bring down my borderline Type 2 diagnosis reading.

The annoying part is that I have literally tried everything from practically zero carbs a day, hours of exercise, and all the low fat suggestions.

The only thing that I have found that shocks my body and causes a slight drop is intermittent fasting, where I starve myself for like half a day and then start eating small bits of food again, but not enough to fill me to the point where I don't feel hungry for the next couple of hours again. But it's hard work.

According to the scales my BMR is around 2900cals per day and I don't even think that I consume 2000 on some days and the weight should be flying off me.

I'm going to start keeping a weekly diet of what I eat calorie wise because it is driving me insane when I see that people have managed to lose 4-5 stone when just cutting out simple things like sugar and I cant.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to live on low protein dieting shakes, eggs, low fat chicken, and veg.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Poor thing you must be starving?
A lot of us have found that by changing both our eating times along with what we eat weight loss comes far easier.
In your shoes I'd try eating more satiating food but less frequently and in a restricted feeding window.
Have 2 meals a day in an 8 hour window but make sure those meals are satisfying and mainly composed of protein and fats. Keep carbs down to an absolute minimum.
Everything should be full fat and chuck the diet drinks eat real food instead freshly cooked from fresh ingredients (so nothing in a package).

Hope that helps.. there's a lot of science behind it which we can elaborate on but for the time being that would be my advice.

Reactions: Lil_Miss_Cuddly

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was trying to find the perfect thread to post the latest podcast by Ivor Cummins and this one seems to fit the bill. The podcast goes into quite a lot of detail about insulin resistance, weight loss stalls (especially prolonged ones and the role of dairy), low inflammation diets and many other issues. Definitely worth listening to.

@zand - I was trying to find a thread of yours about those members who have difficulties losing weight, but didn't have any luck - found this thread instead :)

Podcast 41 - Low Inflammation High Healthy Fat Living - the Way to Go:

The blog of Nick Paterson, the person interviewed: https://lihfliving.com/

Reactions: Antechinus

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, I am unable to lose weight and I appear to have stagnated at a certain weight.

My diet is not too bad and I rarely have any sugar or carbs. I tend to live on low protein dieting shakes, eggs, low fat chicken, and veg.

I would like to get back down to what I used to be which was around 16 stone in my mid 30's.

On the plus side of things I have lost half a stone in a month and it doesn't appear to be coming back on. with the diet I am currently using.

My aim is to bring my weight down without losing too much muscle so that I can bring down my borderline Type 2 diagnosis reading.

The annoying part is that I have literally tried everything from practically zero carbs a day, hours of exercise, and all the low fat suggestions.

The only thing that I have found that shocks my body and causes a slight drop is intermittent fasting, where I starve myself for like half a day and then start eating small bits of food again, but not enough to fill me to the point where I don't feel hungry for the next couple of hours again. But it's hard work.

According to the scales my BMR is around 2900cals per day and I don't even think that I consume 2000 on some days and the weight should be flying off me.

I'm going to start keeping a weekly diet of what I eat calorie wise because it is driving me insane when I see that people have managed to lose 4-5 stone when just cutting out simple things like sugar and I cant.
How did you make your shakes? With water or milk?

I am muscular dense. I too hv used weights in the past.
I only lose weight if I eat low carb, low fat and low calorie. It's a hungry business but only thing that works, for me.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @midiman, welcome! I can't really add anything to bulkbiker's advice, except maybe that our bodies have a way of noticing when we've lost weight and sometimes kick in to a kind of survival mode, wanting to maintain homeostasis (even if it's at a higher weight than we want).

I believe intermittent fasting using a varied approach of shorter and longer fasts can help, and it worked for me, although I have fallen off that wagon and regained a fair bit of weight - I'm still working on it!

Best of luck with finding what works for you - you're in the right place for advice and could do worse than track some of the posts on here for inspiration.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did low fat for decades - only got fatter.
When I started eating fat, I started burning it off.

Reactions: LaoDan

frankbegbie

I'm in a similar position as in not losing weight no matter what I do.
So have started the Water Fast on Monday.
I feel like this is my last chance.
I've tried fasting before but could only last for 3 or 4 days and got no benefit.
I just grew gradually weaker and had to give up.

When I eat it's all real food, nothing processed and just 2 meals per day.
It's frustrating as hell.

Reactions: Spiritedgirl

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in a similar position as in not losing weight no matter what I do.
So have started the Water Fast on Monday.
I feel like this is my last chance.
I've tried fasting before but could only last for 3 or 4 days and got no benefit.
I just grew gradually weaker and had to give up.

When I eat it's all real food, nothing processed and just 2 meals per day.
It's frustrating as hell.
Know the feeling I'm trying so hard walking 5+k every day just introduced a bit of running I am not a jogger by any means my weight has plateaued I did get told maybe I'm not eating enough? I'm eating around the 1,200 mark a day. Maybe we need to up it about more as our bodies are holding on to it ?

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I only lost on very very low calorie and low carb eating. Even then it was 1-2lb a week and so severely overweight I'd never get the weight off without bariatric help. I'm on very little insulin now compared to the 300units a day I had to inject.