Additional outcomes from trials of Automated Insulin Delivery systems announced

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
At ADA Scientific Sessions this weekend Medtronic and Omnipod announced results of some of their artificial pancreas or automated insulin delivery trials. This was alongside the Medtronic 780G European approval being announced.

I took a look at the data and how it compares to others in the marketplace. Suffice to say, the "Advanced Hybrid Closed Loop" 780G outcomes are still not as good as some of the existing players that are already available to users in the UK, including CamAPS.

For more info, read here: https://www.diabettech.com/uncategorized/more-commercial-aid-systems-what-do-the-trials-tell-us/

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, but those TIR results are not verfy impressive. I do better on MDI and no worse than when I used a pump. The main problem is that people struggling with MDI often are not using it properly.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Interesting, but those TIR results are not verfy impressive. I do better on MDI and no worse than when I used a pump. The main problem is that people struggling with MDI often are not using it properly.

Going off topic, but can you explain the rationale behind your MDI with both actrapid and novorapid? I'm really reluctant to go on a pump (allergy issues with libre and I just don't fancy having to worry about pump malfunctions and potential DKAs), but am wrestling with DP and my fairly conventional lantus/humalog MDI. I'm interested in learning about other regimes.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... can you explain the rationale behind your MDI with both actrapid and novorapid? ....
I use Actrapid so that I have adequate basal insulin action to keep blood glucose down in the morning. That is why I inject Actrapid at the same time as I inject Lantus, when I get up. Actrapid starts working in 45 minutes. Lantus starts working after about 6 hours. If I inject Lantus in the evening, I go low during the night. I use Novorapid for meal bolusing and corrections.

If you are having DP blood glucose rises in the morning, you can stop that by splitting basal between NPH at night and Lantus (if required) in the morning. NPH has a pronoune peak afer about 8 hours, which counteracts DP. I used it for many years but DP seems to have gone away now.

You have to work it by experimenting and seeing what happens. Took me a while to work put what worked best for me. Using a Libre to test basal was very useful.

Reactions: EllieM