BD Microfine Needles 4mm - stock issues?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, these are the only needles I like as others have caused me scars / pain but my Pharmacy is saying there are manufacturing issues and I need to ask my GP for another brand. Anyone heard the same ... Is this true, any advice?

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be on these and got changed to BD Viva in Feb, still 4mm and 32 gauge but my GP was quite open and said the Viva were cheaper... I mentioned the box was 90 needles but the other had been 100 but they asked me to try them anyway.
I wouldn't be able to tell the difference! The needles, labelling etc all looks the same other than saying BD Viva not BD microfine. I wonder if BD has brought them in to replace the microfine?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be on these and got changed to BD Viva in Feb, still 4mm and 32 gauge but my GP was quite open and said the Viva were cheaper... I mentioned the box was 90 needles but the other had been 100 but they asked me to try them anyway.
I wouldn't be able to tell the difference! The needles, labelling etc all looks the same other than saying BD Viva not BD microfine. I wonder if BD has brought them in to replace the microfine?
From my research VIVA is definitely not the same as Micro-Fine and is a cheaper and inferior product without the same amount of lubrication. Glad they worked for you but I'd rather stay with Micro-Fine TBH!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was switched on cost grounds too. But the only difference I've found is I need to 'prime' with more insulin with the cheaper ones, two units rather than one, so kinda defeats the savings I expect

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was swapped from BD to GlucoRX a few years back to save money. They are not quite as good but OK. They are readily available.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From my research VIVA is definitely not the same as Micro-Fine and is a cheaper and inferior product without the same amount of lubrication. Glad they worked for you but I'd rather stay with Micro-Fine TBH!
I should have added that I found the microfine quality decreased last year. Suddenly the protective caps seemed to be loose, thought I noticed no difference to the needle itself. I never reuse needles so don't know if the needle quality has decreased on this aspect, but compared to the microfine needles from last autumn I can't notice a difference. Compared to the 2018 microfine needles I'd say there was a difference, but I didn't find the late 2019 quality of the microfine to be that of before...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@pinewood my brother was told to ask his GP for different pen needles when Pharmacy to You (I think) said they couldn't get them. He called his GP and was told to try another pharmacy and hey presto, they said there was no production issue and gave him the BD Microfine 4mm needles he required.

Reactions: pinewood

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@pinewood my brother was told to ask his GP for different pen needles when Pharmacy to You (I think) said they couldn't get them. He called his GP and was told to try another pharmacy and hey presto, they said there was no production issue and gave him the BD Microfine 4mm needles he required.
It was pharmacy2u that told me the same! I also tried another pharmacy and there was no issue, so not happy they’re telling people porkies!

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have used micro-fine ultra for a long time and happy tbh.
My latest prescription has just come in with the viva. Cost I guess, but really, what ££ are talking here!
Anyway, what is the comfort verdict between viva and micre-fine?
Or any other issues?
Cheers.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, these are the only needles I like as others have caused me scars / pain but my Pharmacy is saying there are manufacturing issues and I need to ask my GP for another brand. Anyone heard the same ... Is this true, any advice?
We had a similar issue here around January, but supply picked up again in March and we haven't had a problem since.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Just to mention that I am using Insupen 33G which is finer of course than 32 G. They still often Hurt! I tried to ascertain whether these were microfine, but cannot find any reference to either Microfine or Viva ?

Reactions: Zinadane