Which snacks are people eating between meals?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I notice that cheese is being suggested as suitable for combatting hunger pangs between meals. I firmly believe that all Dairy Products are the enemy of the Pancreas and every case of severe Pancreatitis I have studied have had cheese and all other dairy products as the denominators - admittedly taken to excess but what is EXCESS?
Got any links to this please?

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you’ve got a blood sugar meter then test before and 1.5-2 hours after your porridge and see what your blood sugar is like, if it’s ok then that’s good but if it’s high I’d ditch the porridge.

Its very sad but I find anything containing any sort of grain - plus the usual culprits - makes my blood sugars soar.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For something sweet I have few strawberries with greek yoghurt with honey but if hungry during day have a few boiled eggs ready and also the cheap fish sticks from supermarket although they have fair bit of salt added but if times an issue they are substantial enough to do a job.

Reactions: VikingMermaid

Bodewhin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a square of 85% dark chocolate, sometimes with some almond butter on top if I want a sweet snack. I also try and distract the craving with some herbal tea or diet soda.

Tannedhaggis

My go to snacks are; Parmesan wisps, wagyu Beef burger with melted American cheese cut into a small pieces, paleo granola and the Noshu sugar free cake range. Each week I make up a sugar free jelly and substitute half the water with cream.

stu60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read similar regarding dairy, I think the old saying of everything in moderation holds true unless you discover Something is doing you harm or you are allergic etc. The thing I find is that there are many conflicting studies and you need to read between the lines as to the authors' standpoint, not always easy, unfortunately a lot of science today seems to be agenda driven and not helped by the MSM. For the record my snacking tends to be olives, cheese, cold meats, pork scratchings.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My snacks at the moment:
Instant Nescafe + 3tbsp double cream (0.8g carb) OR
100g Greek full fat yogurt (3.8g carb) + 50g raspberries (2.5g carb)

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone got some advice on things you snack on between meals?

Especially interested in anything which you can have which takes away craving for sugar. I have an extremely sweet tooth, and have been using Hartley 10 calorie Jelly with no discernable impact on my Blood Sugar.
I never snack, unless my blood sugar drops. Normally I eat 3 meals a day.

CarlTorode

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Healthcare inefficiencies
Hummus & carrot sticks. Hummus is about 5-6g per 50g serving. Carrots are 7g per 100g.

Reactions: aizek

boltonw1

Anyone got some advice on things you snack on between meals?

Especially interested in anything which you can have which takes away craving for sugar. I have an extremely sweet tooth, and have been using Hartley 10 calorie Jelly with no discernable impact on my Blood Sugar.
Hi I also have sugar cravings so i make a tasty salad using natural yoghurt, celery, granny smith apples and raisins. It really helps me !

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I also have sugar cravings so i make a tasty salad using natural yoghurt, celery, granny smith apples and raisins. It really helps me !
(Pssst.. Apples and raisins are loaded with sugar. That's why it scratches the itch, but it's not in a way that'll help you in the long run. Full fat greek yoghurt is less carb-heavy than other yoghurts too. ;) )