I need low fat and medium low carb food ideas please :)

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
For some reason I just cannot tolerate a high fat diet , it makes me violently sick so I need some ideas on foods that will be suitable for me type 2 diet only if anyone of you lovely people can help .

My diet is very basic right now . Meat veg and eggs and I need more variety as I am bored of eating these foods . I am craving sweet things because of the bordeom . I can actually tolerate porridge oats they used to raise my sugar to over 17 but now two hours after eating them my readings are 7 . I find porridge a bit boring too but at least it is something different . I am able to eat toast also and still get 7 readings.

My theory is that because of my weight loss which is now 4 and half stone I am able to produce more insulin or whatever it is that happens .

I just want a better variety of foods that won't upset me and make me ill . Surly there are more foods that meat veg eggs porridge lol .
Thanks

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use a spoon of cream cheese stirred into cauliflower/green veg instead of mac n cheese.

after dinner is usually greek yogurt and raspberries
or keto mug cakes make with coconut flour - lower in fat than almond flour, served with berries

I make bread with a mix of ground almonds and milled flaxseed instead of just almonds - tastes a bit more like brown bread.

Can you eat avocados? they make a lovely base for breakfasts, or creamy sauces or as a base for chocolates pots.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Cinnamon on porridge gives it more of a flavor. But how about pudding? If tofu is okay, get a soft tofu, add fruit like blueberries and blend. Cocoa is good too. If you don't mind stevia, stevia by Sweet Leaf comes in a full range of flavor you can add to sparkling water or pudding or?? You can have something like chocolate milk. I put the chocolate one in unsweetened soy milk all the time.

Try stir frying your veggies with sesame seeds or coconut for a different flavor on your veggies. Quiche with different veggies or spices added, stir fries or scrambled tofu dishes with veggies you don't usually use, go to a farmers market or even the supermarket and pick up a new or a couple of new veggies, maybe something like bok choy, spaghetti squash, asparagus grilled with a lot of garlic, broccoli with lemon, etc. Stuff that you aren't used to using, even if it turns out you don't like it, it will bring some change and be fun trying it. If you can have toast try some low fat bruschetta's, just a few different spices, oregano and basil are standard, but try curry or cardamon.

Hope this helps!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For some reason I just cannot tolerate a high fat diet , it makes me violently sick so I need some ideas on foods that will be suitable for me type 2 diet only if anyone of you lovely people can help .

My diet is very basic right now . Meat veg and eggs and I need more variety as I am bored of eating these foods . I am craving sweet things because of the bordeom . I can actually tolerate porridge oats they used to raise my sugar to over 17 but now two hours after eating them my readings are 7 . I find porridge a bit boring too but at least it is something different . I am able to eat toast also and still get 7 readings.

My theory is that because of my weight loss which is now 4 and half stone I am able to produce more insulin or whatever it is that happens .

I just want a better variety of foods that won't upset me and make me ill . Surly there are more foods that meat veg eggs porridge lol .
Thanks
How about fish - I love smoked salmon with salad, prawns, fish in sauce etc.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats the diet i have been doing, i seem to be able to tolerate allot more carbs then most on here now i have lost the weight and upped my fitness allot. Not sure if this will help as i am perhaps more tolerant then the average despite my very high starting point but various things i like to make:

Celeriac - roasted is fantastic with a roast dinner/meaty gravy. Roasted with some tomatoes/peppers is great with meat/fish in a none gravy way.

I make a whole wheat lasagna - I only do one or two layers of pasta, with a few layers of grilled aubergine - its not actually many carbs when you work it our but much for satisfying then without the pasta. The while sauce i use cornflour and skimmed milk rather then cheese and butter as it keeps the calories down. _ Portion with a nice side salad or roasted veg is goood.

Bulgar wheat is really good instead of rice, but i just have a few spoon fulls with a curry and it dosnt touch my bloods.

Custard as a pudding works for me, i use skimmed milk and custard powder, then i can sweeten it only a tiny bit with a bit of sugar as a treat. Combine that with a some berrys set into sugar free yogurt and Zero fat extra thick yogurt on top it makes a pretty nice trifle type thing. Very low fat and pretty low carb.

Pearl barley rissoto - google a recipe - io like the one on BBC food with choritzo - but you can make them out of pretty much anything. Again - smaller portion with salad.

Chilli con carnie. heavy on a variety of beans (I tend to use at least 3 tins per 400g of mince if not more). I make the chilli with loads of beans so it ends up almost like meaty beans, then i dont need rice with it for it to be filling. If you take one small wrap and slice it into triangles, little brush of oil and oven cook till crisp (about 3 mins) you get nice chips to go with it and over dont touch my bloods.

Breakfast i find shredded wheat is a good one for me - with plenty of skimmed milk warmed in the microwave for 2 mins, im not hungry till lunch. Warmed like that, they go soft and have a lovely wheaty milk, i dont even need to add anything to them as im so used to not having sugar now they taste sweet on their own

All i can say is that nothing above gives me a rise higher then like 6.5 at best 7 nowadays. Some of it would send me well into double figures when i started but my insulin resistance will be significantly down due to my change of lifestyle.

I think the trick is to be careful not to mix the two diets, if tyou end up High fat and have the carbs thats the typical not ideal situation.

Reactions: Marie 2

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks

Hi there. I think that it's easy to get into a routine of choosing the exact same foods and cooking it in the exact same way because it's easier and less hassle, for example, a plain breast of chicken on a plate with broccoli and cabbage, BORING. However there are plenty of ways to make that chicken taste lovely through methods of cooking, herbs, sauces (as low carb as you want), you can roast your veg with olive oils and spices which turns it into a buttery tasting mouthful. Take a look at low carb diet recipes (loads on this site and I have a book called The Diabetes weight loss cookbook (daft title as it's not really about weight but the carbs) but the recipes are superb. Some of the recipes use ingredients you might not have thought of, for example there is a lasagne one that uses spinach instead of the pasta and it looks and tastes fantastic. Yes, it takes more time but you can bulk cook. There are stews/curries/dishes with eggs/cheese dishes and all sorts. x

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also sorry i forgot one of my favs - home made pot noddles are awesome. Make a paste that can store in the fridge for months, spoon of that with hot water, what ever veggies and meat you have about, Maybe an egg to bulk it. I thin add a "portion" of whole wheat cooked noodles.

This portion could be what ever you know you can tolerate from a carb stand point. So it can be brothy, or nor dense with noodles based on what you can tolerate:

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/nadiya-hussains-instant-noodles some ideas there but i jsut make it up now

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks
What does the high fat that upsets you consist of? I eat a moderately low carb diet of about 75g per day, but I don't eat any extra fat, I just don't have anything low fat. I have the fat that naturally comes with meat, eat quite a lot of oily fish, cheese and dairy and I fry rather than grill.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What does the high fat that upsets you consist of? I eat a moderately low carb diet of about 75g per day, but I don't eat any extra fat, I just don't have anything low fat. I have the fat that naturally comes with meat, eat quite a lot of oily fish, cheese and dairy and I fry rather than grill.
full fat cream, the main problem, nuts cheese .

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi there. I think that it's easy to get into a routine of choosing the exact same foods and cooking it in the exact same way because it's easier and less hassle, for example, a plain breast of chicken on a plate with broccoli and cabbage, BORING. However there are plenty of ways to make that chicken taste lovely through methods of cooking, herbs, sauces (as low carb as you want), you can roast your veg with olive oils and spices which turns it into a buttery tasting mouthful. Take a look at low carb diet recipes (loads on this site and I have a book called The Diabetes weight loss cookbook (daft title as it's not really about weight but the carbs) but the recipes are superb. Some of the recipes use ingredients you might not have thought of, for example there is a lasagne one that uses spinach instead of the pasta and it looks and tastes fantastic. Yes, it takes more time but you can bulk cook. There are stews/curries/dishes with eggs/cheese dishes and all sorts. x
Thank you sounds great I will have a look :)

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
What happens if you just don't bother with the cream and nuts and do a bit less cheese?
The cheese causes me nausea . I was so ill three times during the past two years I am now scared to eat fat . :(

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cheese causes me nausea . I was so ill three times during the past two years I am now scared to eat fat . :(

Don't bother with it then.

Eliminating fat would be an issue, but I know if I go overboard on fat, I don't necessarily feel nauseous, but I do find myself visiting the loo more often than usual, and that results in an unpleasant result.

My answer is I just don't eat so much fat. I seem to have a threshold.

I have absolutely no idea what that threshold is, so I just don't go overboard.

To be honest, in your shoes, I'd just dial back on the things making me queasy and dial up a bit on the protein side of things. If you are bored of chicken, beef, prok, lamb or whatever, have a look for recipes that sound appealing.

My OH doesn't care for too much chicken, but I love it, and I'm sure I could base my diet around it. It's such a fabulous carrier of flavour, so it can become almost anything from straightforwardly roasted, to very complex flavour combinations indeed.

Given free rein, what would you want to eat?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But the cheese (Soft or hard, cow or goat?) and cream are quite different fats to meat, oily fish and butter or coconut oil for example. Some people are quite sensitive to one and not another. I’m not suggesting you pig out on any fats merely have some natural ones that come as part of foods adding one in at a time, rather than add extra or go low fat. Fats are essential to health.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It comes to mind that dairy and nuts are both in the top ten of allergens, Plus dairy a lot of people have an inability to digest it properly, sometimes it's just the lactose part but sometimes it's outright can't digest it period.

If you like the cheese flavor there are some pretty good substitutes nowadays based on tapioca. Daiya and Follow Your Heart which are delicious and comes in slices , shreds and blocks. That would add some flavor into a lot of foods you might be missing?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It comes to mind that dairy and nuts are both in the top ten of allergens, Plus dairy a lot of people have an inability to digest it properly, sometimes it's just the lactose part but sometimes it's outright can't digest it period.

If you like the cheese flavor there are some pretty good substitutes nowadays based on tapioca. Daiya and Follow Your Heart which are delicious and comes in slices , shreds and blocks. That would add some flavor into a lot of foods you might be missing?

Possibly worth mentioning the tapioca based ones are likely to have more carbs than "traditional" cheeses?

Do you happen to have any information to hand on that? I know tapioca is about 22gr per 10gr, so would be a bit toppy for me, for routine consumption.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Daiya 1/4 cup shreds 8 carbs, 6 grams of fat
Follow Your Heart 1 ounce 6 carbs,, 7 grams fat
Chao Cheese 1 slice 4 carbs, 4 grams fat

These are the ones I prefer flavor wise, but there are a ton of cheese alternatives out there now, but if you turn out to be allergic to nuts, cashews as a base have become popular so watch for that. The ones above don't have any nuts I can see, but vary in ingredients.