Newly diagnosed type 2

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed with a hba1c 91 just over a week ago. I have been following the 800 calorie diet since and my blood sugar readings for the past week haven't been over 7.0 fasting and 7.4 after eating. Ive just had my 1st appointment with my diabetes nurse and I've been prescribed Metformin 500mg (1 twice a day for 2 weeks then 2 twice a day). Do I need to be taking this much medication if my levels are good with diet control? I'm totally new with this and don't want to be taking anything I don't have to.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed with a hba1c 91 just over a week ago. I have been following the 800 calorie diet since and my blood sugar readings for the past week haven't been over 7.0 fasting and 7.4 after eating. Ive just had my 1st appointment with my diabetes nurse and I've been prescribed Metformin 500mg (1 twice a day for 2 weeks then 2 twice a day). Do I need to be taking this much medication if my levels are good with diet control? I'm totally new with this and don't want to be taking anything I don't have to.
Honestly? We can't give medical advice or diagnoses on here.... But.... I know what I'd do. (And did).

... You're in the normal range. Not perfect, not yet. But headed there. And you're doing it without the metformin already. The 800 cal diet isn't one that's meant for a long run though, it's not sustainable long term. Even if it is a good way to get started, it is considered a crash diet and those end up giving people deficiencies if you go beyond the 6-8 weeks. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this is sustainable and you can transition to it when the 800 cal diet is done. Or before that time, for that matter. Up to you. Just saying.... I haven't been on metformin, not gliclazide, nor a statin for almost 4 years now. Diet-only.

....Entirely up to you. Not giving advice. Just the options... ;)
Good luck,
Jo

Reactions: Wookie1974

Lilylala

Low cal diet is not sustainable , low carb it more manageable , eat high fat meat will not make your BS raise so bacon , egg high meat content sausage for breakfasts then avocado salad for lunch , fish for tea for example not calorie accounting but carb counting will bring your B S down and at the same time weight down.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for getting back to me. I am only doing the 800 calorie diet for 8 weeks then onto low carb. Just wondered about the Metformin as it was prescribed by doc before I changed diet and started taking readings. My dad's been diabetic for over 20 years and seemed surprised that they didn't hold back on the meds to see if diet alone would be enough. Cheers again!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Your initial Hba1c is quite high at 91 which is probably why the Dr reached for the prescription pad.
Metformin works by reducing the amount of glucose your liver dumps into your blood and helps a little with insulin resistance. I read somewhere that it was originally developed as a weight loss aid so can also help by suppressing the appetite.
It can have unfortunate gastric side effects that a few people, myself included
Find intolerable but it seems that for the majority any side effects are short lived. If it were me I would take any help I could until I had things under control, after all you can stop taking them any time you want and who knows they may just help a little.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! All makes good sense. Just trying to get a grip on everything. Probably read too many horror stories of docs just handing out meds like smarties.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Wookie1974 when I was diagnosed T2 around 3 years ago with a HbA1c of 86, my GP wanted to put me on medication - when I met with the DN she agreed to give me 3 months to let me try and get my HbA1c down to around 50 through diet and exercise only (no medication) - which I did it was 46 - I achieved this by cutting out all obvious carbs. white bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cakes etc. and I probably reduced my calorie intake a lot also which was not something I was aware of at the time and I also lost over a stone in weight during that period. You will see from my signature that I have been in remission for over 2 years now, like a lot of other on here doing low carb etc. You appear to be going in the right direction with what you are doing at the moment. We are not able to give medical advice on here but I know what I would do in your shoes and I did.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers everyone for the help. Will give the gp a call on Monday and discuss next step.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My Hba1c was 91 when diagnosed and 41 six months later doing low carb. I had about 5 weeks of hell taking Metformin and a statin, but luckily I decided to throw them away and there was a moment some time later, when I started coming around, that I realised I never needed them in the first place. I usually have normal blood glucose levels, but can still go high eating sweet things.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who recommends going low carb. I found that I lost weight that way for the first time without counting calories. It has made me really aware of my body's inability to handle carbs.

I can see that you test regularly so that will also give you feedback on how you are going.

Good luck.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, thanks for all the info. Have talked to the doctor today who has now said to take 1 x 500mg metformin + statin for slightly high cholesterol daily until my next appointment, also advised zinc supplements as these could help with the risk of covid19. He seemed surprised that my daily BS readings were so low as my initial Hba1c was 91.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you find yourself becoming absent minded, unable to find words or being rather depressed, I strongly advise that you stop the statin, I was very badly affected by just 5 weeks on Atorvastatin. It crosses the blood/ brain barrier and your brain is made of cholesterol and other lipids. It has taken several years to recover to where I am now, and I find that I can't remember things in the same way I used to.
I was rather surprised to learn that my initial cholesterol level was below average, yet I was told it was high.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, thanks for all the info. Have talked to the doctor today who has now said to take 1 x 500mg metformin + statin for slightly high cholesterol daily until my next appointment, also advised zinc supplements as these could help with the risk of covid19. He seemed surprised that my daily BS readings were so low as my initial Hba1c was 91.
And if you have sudden joint pains... That's a statin thing too.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow sounds like statins are a barrel of laughs as well then eh! I forgot to ask what my cholesterol levels were but they never informed me neither - need to find this out.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow sounds like statins are a barrel of laughs as well then eh! I forgot to ask what my cholesterol levels were but they never informed me neither - need to find this out.
They're prescribed as a matter of course for any newly diagnosed T2. Not just in the UK either, same thing happened here in the Netherlands. There was only one kind I could take because of my thyroid, and oh boy... My joints felt like there was a burning filament wire in each and every one of them. (My rheumatism flares are usually contained in a wrist, a couple of fingers, a hip OR a shoulder. Now it was EVERYWHERE!). So, yeah... If you don't really, really need them, say if there's been a cardiac event in the past, then... Might give them a pass. Or not. Entirely up to you. But the side effects... Can be very, very brutal.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've had my first metformin with my breakfast, still not sure if I need it but the doctor said it was a small dose. Checked my monitor and have an average of 6.0mmol/L for the 2 weeks I've been doing this. So hopefully I'll not be taking it for too long! Any ideas on the best vitamin d supplements to get & what dosage? Cheers again for the help from everybody.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've had my first metformin with my breakfast, still not sure if I need it but the doctor said it was a small dose. Checked my monitor and have an average of 6.0mmol/L for the 2 weeks I've been doing this. So hopefully I'll not be taking it for too long! Any ideas on the best vitamin d supplements to get & what dosage? Cheers again for the help from everybody.
https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/s...vitamin-d3-tablets-25ug-60099316?skuid=015605 just use as prescribed. (One a day). You could also just eat masses of fish.

One more thing about metformin: it usually goes with Vit B12 deficiency. Your body won't be able to absorb it as well as it did before. So if you start feeling things like muscle cramps, mouth ulcers, tingling extremities, etc, and you're loath to stop the met, go for a Vit B12 supplement too. ;)