Daughter has just been diagnosed

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey :) I'm not new to diabetes or even this forum (T1 myself on a pump) but on Tuesday night we were in A&E with my little girl in DKA.
I've reconnected with the forum as although I have personal experience, it is more scary that my 7yr old now has it!!!
Long story short, my baby was poorly and I checked her sugars and at 29.3 (plus another 2 checks to make sure it wasn't my bg machine playing up) we were immediately in the car and a few minutes later in A&E.
She was so dehydrated that getting a cannula in was near impossible and that was possibly the worst part for my baby, all the needles and attempts :(
Anyway 3 days later, she is testing her own bg and has been working out her carbs really well :) in fact she is better than me at working out carbs lol
We are hoping to be going home today :)
Anyway introduction over :)

Reactions: CearaRed1073

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear that @Dragonflye what a very scary time for you all.

The big positive (if there is such a thing..) is that she has got you and your experience to help her, so it will help her in regards to managing her control, also kids are adaptable, much better than us adults, at coping with this.

We're all here for a moan, support or anything to help you through these difficult times, best wishes J x

Reactions: JenniferM55

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
As a T1 daughter of a T1 mother, diagnosed at 8, I can say that that is possibly the best age to get this diagnosis. You're young enough to not remember/resent pre diabetes lifestyle, old enough to inject and count carbs, and with a T1 parent to normalise the situation you don't get to feel that you are deprived and different. It's really hard for teenagers, agonising for parents of 2 year olds, 7 or 8 is old enough to be rational and young enough to get used to it.

I know my mother was really upset when I was diagnosed and blamed herself (didn't find this out till I was adult). Hopefully you don't feel this but I just want to say that I have never blamed my mother for my T1, am always happy that she decided to have me rather than remain childless for fear of having a T1 child, and I know my T1 childhood was made infinitely easier because my mother was already T1.

And on the plus side, T1 treatment is much much better than 50 years ago when I was diagnosed.

Good luck, am so sorry that this has happened to your daughter, but am sure that you will be able to help her through it.

Dragonflye

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys :) Just to update, she was discharged last night :) She was so glad to be able to see her dad, sister and brother again!!! That part was tough for me, because of covid I wasn't able to leave the ward nor were they allowed in!
She did have 2 hypos in hospital, which was good having the support from the nurses so now i know what to expect at home :)
As i have always been hypo unaware (from diagnosis at age of 4) it was brilliant that not only did she have symptoms, they woke her up and she was aware she felt different and we were able to get her sugars sorted quickly :)
Started to worry a little at her 3am test this morning as she was 4.7 but she was fine :)

Reactions: JenniferM55

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys :) Just to update, she was discharged last night :) She was so glad to be able to see her dad, sister and brother again!!! That part was tough for me, because of covid I wasn't able to leave the ward nor were they allowed in!
She did have 2 hypos in hospital, which was good having the support from the nurses so now i know what to expect at home :)
As i have always been hypo unaware (from diagnosis at age of 4) it was brilliant that not only did she have symptoms, they woke her up and she was aware she felt different and we were able to get her sugars sorted quickly :)
Started to worry a little at her 3am test this morning as she was 4.7 but she was fine :)
Best of luck but i am sure your daughter will own it. Has she got a freestyle libre. May really help with those anxious late night blood sugar checks.

Margie@home

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of you as it must have been a shock to you and your family to discover that your daughter had Diabetes. She is an amazing child to accept it. I have been Type 1 for 63 years and I have 3 children and 7 grand children neither have Diabetes I am the only person who has got it. I am very lucky. Love and blessings to all of you as you help your daughter to live life to the full as she grows up.

bhushan7117

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of you as it must have been a shock to you and your family to discover that your daughter had Diabetes. She is an amazing child to accept it. I have been Type 1 for 63 years and I have 3 children and 7 grand children neither have Diabetes I am the only person who has got it. I am very lucky. Love and blessings to all of you as you help your daughter to live life to the full as she grows up.
Nice to here that. I was searching for the same answer. I am suffering from LADA. I am here in search of advice regarding marriage and children. Will my children get type 1 dm as I am suffering from insulin dependent DM ?