Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Thanks for all your advice and info

Contacted my team about levels and insulin doses,

Was told i can bolus for what I'm eating rather than eat for what I'm bolusing, which has kinda helped

Also told I DONT HAVE to test blood sugars after every meal, definitely before , 1st thing in the morning and last thing at night, was given a sliding scale if the bg goes up.

Anywho, this morning my bg was 5.6, I had a small but filling breakfast of a baked egg, slice of toast and a flat white coffee, and took 5 units of novorapid , was out shopping about 3 hours later and felt a bit low, so checked my bg with my monitor I keep in my car, read 4.2 so I knew I needed to either adjust my breakfast novorapid or have a bit more breakfast, in the meantime I had 2 small squares of dark chocolate , tested again before my lunch about an hour later and it had gone up to 9.8, would 2 squares of chocolate do that over that period of time or what ?

Also coffee, yes or no, it's kinda been my mainstay since diagnosis , recently switched to flat whites from cappachino, fills the hunger pangs between meals or 1st thin in the morning

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dark chocolate has a very low GI (glycemic index). It takes a long time to affect blood glucose, in my case hours. So I don't think the chocolate caused that rise. It was probably something else, and it doesn't have to be food. Stress or illness can do it. So can inadequate basal insulin action. Do you see a pattern of blood glucose rising between meals? Testing more frequently, at least for a while, would help with figuring this out.

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
See I'd read that about dark chocolate, that's why I opted for it, just seemed a bit strange that it gave that spike , as you said it probably wasnt it it , I've not been stressed as of late, well none than normal, in currently on one dose of 14 units of lantus at night , I wonder as you suggested could it be down to that !

Apologies for all the nieve questions but its still pretty new to me and it's like being in maths and science class again, my bgs are a bit better

6.8 ave over a week
6.2 ave over 2
6.2 over 1 month
And 7.0 over 3

Down from 8 over the previous 3 months

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Was the Dark Chocolate 70% or 85%? The 70% stuff still has a lot of sugar in it.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Personally, I would not be using chocolate to sort a low(ish) BG out. As has been previously said chocolate has a high GI and can take an age to get into your system......you really need glucose tabs or possibly jelly babies for your lows in the future.....
As for your rise, I cant see 2 squares of chocolate giving such a high rise. The rise could be caused by a lot of variables. Have you carried out a basal test? Cant find my hyperlink for that grrrrr.........

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Personally, I would not be using chocolate to sort a low(ish) BG out. As has been previously said chocolate has a high GI and can take an age to get into your system......you really need glucose tabs or possibly jelly babies for your lows in the future.....
As for your rise, I cant see 2 squares of chocolate giving such a high rise. The rise could be caused by a lot of variables. Have you carried out a basal test? Cant find my hyperlink for that grrrrr.........
Not that I go low that often and would usually use jelly babies when I do , the choc was close to hand after doing the shopping, dont think I've ever done a Basel test , was given the doses on leaving hospital , I can adjust my bolus if and when needed but told not to change the Basel without medical advice

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not that I go low that often and would usually use jelly babies when I do , the choc was close to hand after doing the shopping, dont think I've ever done a Basel test , was given the doses on leaving hospital , I can adjust my bolus if and when needed but told not to change the Basel without medical advice

Have a chat with your DSN and ask her about doing a basal test. If you can get your basal dose correct it does make life a bit easier! Well if you can count anything easy as a type 1 ;):angelic: