Hba1c results

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic. On diagnosis my hba1c result was 84, this was 3 months ago. I have just got my most recent result back and it’s now 42. My nurse rang me concerned that I have been over doing the rapid insulin or that my back ground insulin is incorrect. I have changed my diet and massively but still enjoy treats with meals. I am only having 1 hypo every week or so and otherwise my numbers are in range. Usually fasting reading of 5.4 and then between 5 and 10 most days. I’m really confused. I thought I was doing well and now I’m wondering if I’m doing it all wrong????? I can’t see anyone face to face and have only been recommended to test at 3 am and reduce my back ground. I’m just wondering why because my readings are in range!???

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I have just got my most recent result back and it’s now 42. My nurse rang me concerned that I have been over doing the rapid insulin or that my back ground insulin is incorrect. ... I thought I was doing well and now I’m wondering if I’m doing it all wrong????? ...
Normal non-diabetic HBA1c is in the mid 30's. The closer to normal, the better, as long as hypos are not an issue. Also be aware that too many hypos cause hypo-unawareness, and that makes responding to these situations more difficult. So they should be avoided if possible.

When there are hypos, try and figure what caused them so they can be avoided in the future. The usual culprits are too much insulin, not enough food, exercise, or some combination of the three. As the honeymoon wears off, more reflection and planning is required.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Starstruck111 that is a great a1c - well done.
Make sure you always have hyp treatment around and yes, reflection helps but sometimes hypos catch us unaware.