1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hba1c results

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Starstruck111, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Starstruck111

Starstruck111 Type 1 · Member

I am a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic. On diagnosis my hba1c result was 84, this was 3 months ago. I have just got my most recent result back and it’s now 42. My nurse rang me concerned that I have been over doing the rapid insulin or that my back ground insulin is incorrect. I have changed my diet and massively but still enjoy treats with meals. I am only having 1 hypo every week or so and otherwise my numbers are in range. Usually fasting reading of 5.4 and then between 5 and 10 most days. I’m really confused. I thought I was doing well and now I’m wondering if I’m doing it all wrong????? I can’t see anyone face to face and have only been recommended to test at 3 am and reduce my back ground. I’m just wondering why because my readings are in range!???

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Normal non-diabetic HBA1c is in the mid 30's. The closer to normal, the better, as long as hypos are not an issue. Also be aware that too many hypos cause hypo-unawareness, and that makes responding to these situations more difficult. So they should be avoided if possible.

When there are hypos, try and figure what caused them so they can be avoided in the future. The usual culprits are too much insulin, not enough food, exercise, or some combination of the three. As the honeymoon wears off, more reflection and planning is required.

3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Starstruck111 that is a great a1c - well done.
    Make sure you always have hyp treatment around and yes, reflection helps but sometimes hypos catch us unaware.

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook