Trendy ketones supplement

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Interesting, I was thinking we actually burned the ketones the waste product is some acetone like substance, hence the keto breath.

Regarding taking a ketone supplement. Could the idea be to kickstart the process? Anyway I tend to agree that it’s snake oil

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting, I was thinking we actually burned the ketones the waste product is some acetone like substance, hence the keto breath.

Regarding taking a ketone supplement. Could the idea be to kickstart the process? Anyway I tend to agree that it’s snake oil
This may help explain what is happening at the lowest levels, i,e, inside the cells themselves.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26882/

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
This may help explain what is happening at the lowest levels, i,e, inside the cells themselves.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26882/

Ah, most cells can burn ketone bodies (beta-Hydroxybutyric or Acetoacetic acid), which are created in the liver's mitochondria, which eventually get into the Kreb cycle of other cell's (I.e. muscle, brain.. mitochondria), and is oxidized for energy (ATP) , where the waste product is CO2. Which explains why my breath isn't flammable lol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetoacetic_acid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-Hydroxybutyric_acid

so in short, I wonder if said supplement tastes like fingernail polish remover

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
But the gas that exits at the other end is.:angelic:

True, but I'm guessing if @LaoDan 's breath was flammable, then he would be pretty popular at parties. Everyone would want to see the guy who does the 'breathing fire' trick, but not so much if it came out the end you were speaking of. :***:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
But don't forget a belch or burp can also contain Methane as well as the usual Oxygen and Nitrogen so it's best not to belch near a naked flame.:)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
But don't forget a belch or burp can also contain Methane as well as the usual Oxygen and Nitrogen so it's best not to belch near a naked flame.:)

Interesting, I'm most certainly going to try this and see what happens.... wish me luck.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep totally agree. Sad that she's shelled out so much money though
I think there are circumstances when getting extra ketones going would help e.g. if you wanted ketosis to help boost your chemo treatment or possibly as a treatment for drug resistant epilepsy but they are not magic unicorns that 'speed things up' unless that's a placebo effect!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could the same be said with MCT oil? Or an obese person eating fat in general? I’ve considered trying MCT, just haven’t
MCT is very expensive and supposed to be a fantastic source of short chain fatty acids as hyped by Dave Asprey of BulletProoof coffee fame.
Always suspicious of a manufactured product that our healthy ancestors did not evolve to eat but there again Dave aims to live to 150 on this stuff!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
MCT is very expensive and supposed to be a fantastic source of short chain fatty acids as hyped by Dave Asprey of BulletProoof coffee fame.
Always suspicious of a manufactured product that our healthy ancestors did not evolve to eat but there again Dave aims to live to 150 on this stuff!
MCT is a totally man made synthesised saturated fat created by processing coconut oils and palm oil together, It has very low smoke point therefore will not tolerate heating or cooking. It is high caloric value but paradoxically is used for weightloss. I am wary of food supplements that require a laboratory and men in white coats and caps, but that's a personal comment. However, it is not subject to either medical observance or meeting any food regulations.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True, but I'm guessing if @LaoDan 's breath was flammable, then he would be pretty popular at parties. Everyone would want to see the guy who does the 'breathing fire' trick, but not so much if it came out the end you were speaking of. :***:
Oh no! That instantly took me back decades to boyfriend who at age 14 or 15 thought the best way to entertain me for the evening was to spend it lighting his farts.:inpain:
I thought I had forgotten all about it, but no , what a memory to bring back to me :bigtears:
;)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Oh no! That instantly took me back decades to boyfriend who at age 14 or 15 thought the best way to entertain me for the evening was to spend it lighting his farts.:inpain:
I thought I had forgotten all about it, but no , what a memory to bring back to me :bigtears:
;)

Oh the days of youth! :woot: