No hypos overnight!

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Celebrating a small win! For the first time in a long time my blood sugar stayed perfectly level overnight, at least according to my libre!

Woke up 7.5 which is still a touch high but far better than the 15 I had been getting. The best bit is I'm still staying in range for the most part during the day. The magic fix, changing the time I take my background insulin (Lantus Solostar).

My highs are still happening post meal for about an hour but I can't think how to stop those without ending up going hypo later? Any advice on post meal highs?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Well done on the overnight hypos.
If you're eating normally, DAFNE advises ignoring the post-meal highs. Injected insulin has a fixed curve, rather than reacting to what you eat. As long as your blood sugars return to the same post-meal levels four hours later, you've done well.
Injecting earlier, or walking after eating can help flatten your peaks.

Reactions: baby_angel

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on the overnight hypos.
If you're eating normally, DAFNE advises ignoring the post-meal highs. Injected insulin has a fixed curve, rather than reacting to what you eat. As long as your blood sugars return to the same post-meal levels four hours later, you've done well.
Injecting earlier, or walking after eating can help flatten your peaks.

Okay, sounds like I'm on the right track. At the moment my bg is returning to normal well within four hours. I'll definitely try the walking after food too, exercise never hurt! :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for the avoidance of nightthime hypo's!
My highs are still happening post meal for about an hour but I can't think how to stop those without ending up going hypo later? Any advice on post meal highs?
Are you prebolusing? On NovoRapid I had to take my insulin a pretty long time before eating to avoid those pesky after food spikes.
I've switched to Fiasp, which works faster than Novorapid, and it has largely solved the problem for me. On Fiasp I can simply inject and eat, provided I'm pretty much in range before eating.

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for the avoidance of nightthime hypo's!

Are you prebolusing? On NovoRapid I had to take my insulin a pretty long time before eating to avoid those pesky after food spikes.
I've switched to Fiasp, which works faster than Novorapid, and it has largely solved the problem for me. On Fiasp I can simply inject and eat, provided I'm pretty much in range before eating.

No, I always was told to inject after food as you never know if you're going to finish something, get distracted at work and not finish your sandwich etc. If walking doesn't help I'll look to try that out, might bring it up at my next Dr's app. Thanks for the advice :D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I always was told to inject after food as you never know if you're going to finish something, get distracted at work and not finish your sandwich etc.
Most of us have been told to inject before eating, unless being very unsure if something may happen.
Id ask your consultant about it.