1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

No hypos overnight!

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by baby_angel, Aug 5, 2020.

1. baby_angel

baby_angel Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Celebrating a small win! For the first time in a long time my blood sugar stayed perfectly level overnight, at least according to my libre!

Woke up 7.5 which is still a touch high but far better than the 15 I had been getting. The best bit is I'm still staying in range for the most part during the day. The magic fix, changing the time I take my background insulin (Lantus Solostar).

My highs are still happening post meal for about an hour but I can't think how to stop those without ending up going hypo later? Any advice on post meal highs?

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done on the overnight hypos.
    If you're eating normally, DAFNE advises ignoring the post-meal highs. Injected insulin has a fixed curve, rather than reacting to what you eat. As long as your blood sugars return to the same post-meal levels four hours later, you've done well.
    Injecting earlier, or walking after eating can help flatten your peaks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. baby_angel

Okay, sounds like I'm on the right track. At the moment my bg is returning to normal well within four hours. I'll definitely try the walking after food too, exercise never hurt! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done for the avoidance of nightthime hypo's!
    Are you prebolusing? On NovoRapid I had to take my insulin a pretty long time before eating to avoid those pesky after food spikes.
    I've switched to Fiasp, which works faster than Novorapid, and it has largely solved the problem for me. On Fiasp I can simply inject and eat, provided I'm pretty much in range before eating.

• Like Like x 1
  5. baby_angel

No, I always was told to inject after food as you never know if you're going to finish something, get distracted at work and not finish your sandwich etc. If walking doesn't help I'll look to try that out, might bring it up at my next Dr's app. Thanks for the advice :D

6. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Most of us have been told to inject before eating, unless being very unsure if something may happen.
    Id ask your consultant about it.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook