Weymouth1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stress
Pre-diabetic.

Prefer the health remedies and diet if poss.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

(Not familiar with 'Tags' either)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Weymouth1,
A Low Carb Higher (natural) Fat way of eating is what most of us use to keep out T2 Diabetes in remission.
T2 Diabetes is basically an intolerance for the amount of carbohydrates in the modern diet. So cutting down (sometimes hard) on the carbs works - as side effects it may also help reduce Weight, Blood Pressure and Depression amongst other modern conditions.

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
I didn't want to take meds (Metformin) either. I resisted for 12 months, then had to agree to them. One a day is sufficient.
I adjusted my diet three or four years ago and was doing fine. Then my wife was taken ill with Parkinson's and Dementia. I cared for her for six years, and then she had to go into care when I could no longer do everything she needed on my own. So I just got into deeper depression and my diet went to pot! I managed to keep up with my meds, but that was about the only normality in my life.

I restricted bathing to body wash downs; stopped shaving, dressed in whatever was to hand, and wore a suit only to visit my wife. I can't do that now until the home comes out of lock down.

I finally got to grips with my problem. Tidied up the beard, bought some new shirts and trousers and got reacquainted with a proper bath and shower!

I went hard into a low carb diet and so far have lost 28lbs. My legs have stopped swelling. My cough is drying up. Fluid retention is right down. No more huge blisters on my calves; blisters that could ulcerate, and I can walk much better.

I STILL TAKE MY MEDS; until I get the results of my latest blood sample taken last week.
I will leave that decision to the Doc.

My advice? Talk with your Doctor. Discuss a restricted low carb diet, but still take those tablets until the Doc says stop.

Best of luck.

John (81 years Birmingham)

Weymouth1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stress
I didn't want to take meds (Metformin) either. I resisted for 12 months, then had to agree to them. One a day is sufficient.
I adjusted my diet three or four years ago and was doing fine. Then my wife was taken ill with Parkinson's and Dementia. I cared for her for six years, and then she had to go into care when I could no longer do everything she needed on my own. So I just got into deeper depression and my diet went to pot! I managed to keep up with my meds, but that was about the only normality in my life.

I restricted bathing to body wash downs; stopped shaving, dressed in whatever was to hand, and wore a suit only to visit my wife. I can't do that now until the home comes out of lock down.

I finally got to grips with my problem. Tidied up the beard, bought some new shirts and trousers and got reacquainted with a proper bath and shower!

I went hard into a low carb diet and so far have lost 28lbs. My legs have stopped swelling. My cough is drying up. Fluid retention is right down. No more huge blisters on my calves; blisters that could ulcerate, and I can walk much better.

I STILL TAKE MY MEDS; until I get the results of my latest blood sample taken last week.
I will leave that decision to the Doc.

My advice? Talk with your Doctor. Discuss a restricted low carb diet, but still take those tablets until the Doc says stop.

Best of luck.

John (81 years Birmingham)

Thank you Phub.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Pre-diabetic.

Prefer the health remedies and diet if poss.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

(Not familiar with 'Tags' either)
Hello,
I was diagnosed type 2 almost 2 weeks ago. I was prescribed Metformin but having done some reading around the subject was determined to control with diet and come off the drugs.
I'm using Michael Mosley 8 Week blood sugar diet and the associated recipe book as my guide (as well as this forum).
So far, so good. I'm off the meds and in a prediabetic BG range now.
I'm not eating sugar, bread, pasta, rice, noodles and potatoes. I am eating lots of meat, fish, eggs, veg and pulses.
If I go back to my old diet the diabetes will return. I have put it into remission and will have to adopt the diet as a way of life. I have lots of cook books and am pouring through them looking for recipe ideas.
By testing my BG before and 2 hours after meals I can work out what foods work best for me.
Good luck

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Hi Weymouth1,

I understand that you do not want to take any medications when I was first diagnosed I hated taking them like the heat of 1000 suns. I just did not enjoy feeling like I was losing control. This just my opinion, but the meds do serve a purpose, they provide a bridge for you to get your blood sugar control, while you are figuring out your diet and other life style changes. People have already have given you some good suggestions on diet. The only thing I would add just pick one that works for you.

In my case I went on a low carb diet and implemented a regular exercise routine and was taking glipizide. Eventually the gipizide was causing me to go hypo, getting 2.5 blood sugars was not uncommon. After talking with my doctor we agreed that I should stop taking the medicine. The medication gave me a chance to get my act together so I would no longer need it.

Being a newbie to remission one thing I discovered that I need to be more vigilant concerning my diet and exercise.. Before the meds kind of provided some cover, but know since the training wheels are off the bicycle I need to be just a littlemorecoareful.

I hope this helps

Dave

Last edited: