That’s a ‘no’ then....

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I seems to have picked up a bug - how this is possible I really don’t know since I only go to the supermarket once every 10 days, and out on my bike once a week. This last activity with the same, single person I have been ‘bubbling’ with since bubbles were a thing.

Anyway, I have a flu-y bug with some deleterious stomach effects. I am pretty sure it’s not covid, but since I have a slight fever I have ordered a home test for peace of mind. I am having a sofa day today, not felt too bad, but of course, as the day wears on I start to feel worse and develop a craving for a lemon drink (with/without whiskey, delete as appropriate) so I dug out the remains of a pack of Tesco own-brand lemsip. Pack is rubbish, no nutritional info at all, but ingredients include sucrose, so a spot of searching here reveals around 10g of carbs per sachet!

Ok, what now? No lemons in the house... And then I remembered, I have a lockdown herb garden, which includes two amazingly bushy plants - lemon verbena and lemon balm. So I now have fresh herb tea, which is delicious (with/without whiskey, use your imagination) and a couple of paracetamol. All is good!

Reactions: AloeSvea

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you get better soon. Sounds you're on top of your chill. Who knows where these bugs come from... this is why Covid is so scary.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t been unwell since I was diagnosed, but yesterday I was flummoxed - all the snacky little
comforting carby meals I would normally eat when suffering the lurgy are off the table - plain rice, baked spud, tinned tomato soup, maybe a slice of toast... All the things I could rely on not to upset an already very dodgy digestion. Couldn’t face cheese, eggs, meat, fish...But in the end, yay keto, because I just decided to fast til the morning. And while I was a bit peckish just before bed, it didn’t bother me overnight and I wasn’t ravenous this morning.

Ketosis is a very freeing state, I find. And I am learning to trust my body more and more.

Reactions: Ketocate

mouseee

My go to illness foods were also toast (with marmite obvs) or a buttery jacket potato.

I feel your pain!

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have some warm broth with a cracked egg in it if I’m not feeling well but need something.
Ah now, you have just reminded me that I have some bovril. Not with an egg, I have limited tolerance for eggs at the best of times and certainly not if I already feel nauseous. But after eating very little for 48 hrs I am ready for a curry tonight!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco own-brand lemsip. Pack is rubbish, no nutritional info at all, but ingredients include sucrose, so a spot of searching here reveals around 10g of carbs per sachet!
As the sachets are normally 5g it seems unlikely that they contain 10g of carbs. I have some Galpharm "lemsip" that came from a supermarket. The leaflet says 1.9g sucrose per 5g sachet.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As the sachets are normally 5g it seems unlikely that they contain 10g of carbs. I have some Galpharm "lemsip" that came from a supermarket. The leaflet says 1.9g sucrose per 5g sachet.
Good point!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use lemon balm for tea too.
Even better if let it cool it makes a nice sugar free mixer for with/without gin or with/without whisky