Low BMI and Low Body Fat but Diabetic - Advice Needed

cank00

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello, I’m new to the forum and would like some advice on the following if anyone can help.

I’m 72, exercise regularly, fit, have a body fat reading of 20.9 which occasionally dips to 19.xx, and a BMI of 21.7. For the last few years I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic with a blood glucose level of 45. Since receiving that diagnosis I changed my diet to substantially reduce white bread, pastries, chips, processed foods, desserts, chocolates, white carbs, biscuits, wine etc. to just occasional inclusion in my diet. Despite this I have just received my latest blood glucose reading and it was 48. I was advised that I am now classified as diabetic and need to reduce the reading; if I do not reduce it I will need to take medication.

I certainly would like to get it below the pre-diabetic level, and I definitely do not want to start on medication for it. My preferred way of handling this is to move to a 5:2 diet with calorie intake of 500 cal./day during the 2 day restricted diet. To do this by dieting, however, concerns me as most of the dieting plans seem to be focussed on people well in excess of a BMI of 25, and I’ve read that you need to be very careful about how you change your diet with a low body fat and BMI at the low end of the normal BMI range.

Has anyone had, or does anyone have a similar situation with relatively low body fat and low BMI, and tried the 5:2 diet and how did you get on with it? If not, what have you found as a successful way of reducing the blood glucose level back to below the pre diabetic level? Thanks for your help.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Putting diabetes into remission is not about dieting but about what you eat, which is slightly different.
If you can get a blood glucose meter with cheap supplies, I use the Tee 2 from Spirit Healthcare, then you can see if you are eating correctly to produce as close to normal levels as possible.
The best way to start off is to check the amount of carbs you are eating each day, and from what sources.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't calories that we need to count, it is carbs, and with reduced carbs we need extra fat such as cheese, butter, oily fish, fatty meats especially bacon, plenty of eggs. . Using your scales and a blood glucose meter with a food diary you can find the right balance to reduce your blood sugar levels and maintain your weight without losing any more. There is absolutely no need to "diet"

Oh .... and there is no need to cut out the red wine. It is good for us.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
carbs are colourblind. Brown or wholemeal can be as damaging as their white counterparts.
So too fruit especially tropical or exotics as well as apples and pears can be very carby.
Your meter will soon show you which your body can cope with and which it cant.

I'm 6 months in now and still trying to retrain my brain away from old thoughts as to what is healthy food and what really is good for my diabetic body.

Reactions: porl69 and ziggy_w

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'd suggest taking a look at the link in my signature for diet, what to avoid etc. It's great advice written by one of our members here. Make sure you get enough protein and fat in your diet. I'm lean like you, so following a 500cal diet would not be a good idea. You would be starving your body of food which will cause weightloss. Energy dense foods, like meats, cheeses, nuts, eggs are far better choices then low cal vegetables.

It might well be worth your while getting a c-peptide test and GAD antibodies done. I think it would be helpful to know how much insulin you are producing, could help to rule out a lack of it too.

And welcome!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would just keep the carbs down and see how your readings go. Don't worry about Calories as they are irrelevant. Your numbers are still only just diabetic so I wouldn't worry too much. It's possible your pancreas beta cells are beginning to fail reducing the amount of insulin you produce.

cank00

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Putting diabetes into remission is not about dieting but about what you eat, which is slightly different.
If you can get a blood glucose meter with cheap supplies, I use the Tee 2 from Spirit Healthcare, then you can see if you are eating correctly to produce as close to normal levels as possible.
The best way to start off is to check the amount of carbs you are eating each day, and from what sources.
Thanks very much for your reply and advice. Very helpful.

cank00

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It isn't calories that we need to count, it is carbs, and with reduced carbs we need extra fat such as cheese, butter, oily fish, fatty meats especially bacon, plenty of eggs. . Using your scales and a blood glucose meter with a food diary you can find the right balance to reduce your blood sugar levels and maintain your weight without losing any more. There is absolutely no need to "diet"

Oh .... and there is no need to cut out the red wine. It is good for us.
Thanks very much - very helpful.

cank00

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
carbs are colourblind. Brown or wholemeal can be as damaging as their white counterparts.
So too fruit especially tropical or exotics as well as apples and pears can be very carby.
Your meter will soon show you which your body can cope with and which it cant.

I'm 6 months in now and still trying to retrain my brain away from old thoughts as to what is healthy food and what really is good for my diabetic body.
Thanks very much - very helpful.

cank00

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'd suggest taking a look at the link in my signature for diet, what to avoid etc. It's great advice written by one of our members here. Make sure you get enough protein and fat in your diet. I'm lean like you, so following a 500cal diet would not be a good idea. You would be starving your body of food which will cause weightloss. Energy dense foods, like meats, cheeses, nuts, eggs are far better choices then low cal vegetables.

It might well be worth your while getting a c-peptide test and GAD antibodies done. I think it would be helpful to know how much insulin you are producing, could help to rule out a lack of it too.

And welcome!
Thank you very much.

cank00

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi. I would just keep the carbs down and see how your readings go. Don't worry about Calories as they are irrelevant. Your numbers are still only just diabetic so I wouldn't worry too much. It's possible your pancreas beta cells are beginning to fail reducing the amount of insulin you produce.
Thank you very much.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hello, I’m new to the forum and would like some advice on the following if anyone can help.

I’m 72, exercise regularly, fit, have a body fat reading of 20.9 which occasionally dips to 19.xx, and a BMI of 21.7. <snip>

For comparison I'm 69 (almost 70) and my BMI has drifted up to 23.1 at the moment. My best and target BMI is 21.7.
6 foot and 12 stone 3 = BMI 23.1
6 foot and 11 stone 7 = BMI 21.7.

My best BG results come when I am strictly ketogenic (as shown by ketone testing of blood and urine) by eating very few carbohydrates and mainly protein and fat.
Exercise also helps, but is variable (as are most other things).
I take Metformin, which also helps.
I have no idea about my body fat ratio; however I must get round to using the body fat scales I bought from Lidl.

I am fit and reasonably slim, so not the "typical" T2 as portrayed by the media..