Feeling like I’m cheating

Nicole22

Ok so I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic in mid May , I was put on 1000mg metformin and within 3 weeks I was on insulin due to being pregnant at the time. (Early pregnancy) unfortunately my baby didn’t make it however I haven’t seen anyone about my diabetes since. I feel like because my doctors still prescribing me semglee and novorapid I’m kinda cheating. I manage too keep my sugars in a very very healthy range using these medications and I’m still losing weight (2.5 stone loss at current)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry to hear your sad, sad news. Rapid deterioration onto insulin would suggest type 1 rather than 'cheating'. It's important that you get correctly diagnosed, with a c-peptide and perhaps GAD and IA2 antibodies tests if supported by your c-peptide result.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic in mid May , I was put on 1000mg metformin and within 3 weeks I was on insulin due to being pregnant at the time. (Early pregnancy) unfortunately my baby didn’t make it however I haven’t seen anyone about my diabetes since. I feel like because my doctors still prescribing me semglee and novorapid I’m kinda cheating. I manage too keep my sugars in a very very healthy range using these medications and I’m still losing weight (2.5 stone loss at current)

Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss.

How can you be "cheating?" If you are managing your BS & progressing with a new you regarding weight.

I could be worth checking back with your HCPs.

Nicole22

Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss.

How can you be "cheating?" If you are managing your BS & progressing with a new you regarding weight.

I think maybe because I do see lots of diabetics (type 2) losing weight and going on a low carb diet etc in order to control their diabetes however I never got the chance too try those methods and feel like even though I do eat well now and healthily i definitely have more leniency in what I can and can’t eat due to controlling my insulin.

Reactions: ickihun

Nicole22

Hi,

I'm sorry for your loss.

You see , I did mention this too my GP , they stated the reason they put my on insulin was due to me being pregnant and needing my sugars to improve rapidly which wasn’t really the case , as I needed too increase my dosage in stages. I just haven’t had any more visits too my GP or hospital and have been left too it. I do believe I would be type 1 as my sugars show this. However I’m not really sure how I can push for tests too be done

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think maybe because I do see lots of diabetics (type 2) losing weight and going on a low carb diet etc in order to control their diabetes however I never got the chance too try those methods and feel like even though I do eat well now and healthily i definitely have more leniency in what I can and can’t eat due to controlling my insulin.

I feel you may need to focus souly on yourself. Making comparisons can be a maze.

Personally, it could be unproductive if you loat contact with your team, especially as you are looking for confirmation on which condition you have?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You see , I did mention this too my GP , they stated the reason they put my on insulin was due to me being pregnant and needing my sugars to improve rapidly which wasn’t really the case , as I needed too increase my dosage in stages. I just haven’t had any more visits too my GP or hospital and have been left too it. I do believe I would be type 1 as my sugars show this. However I’m not really sure how I can push for tests too be done
I don't think that you are cheating by taking medications but I do think that in the long term and if you are a true type 2 (insulin resistant) you may benefit from changing how many carbs you're eating. The meds do manage your symptoms but eventually you'd likely need more of them to stay with the same control and would risk those complications that are caused by having too much insulin in your body (cardiovascular, pcos, obesity).
The thing is you've suffered a miscarriage and maybe right now isn't the best time for you to tackle this. You are talking as if you are somehow at fault for something and I hope you are getting some support to cope with your loss.

Nicole22

I control the amount of carbs I eat quite well , I limit them and I find this means I need less insulin. If I’m honest I have spoken too my GP But he dosent ever seem too want too talk about what is wrong. Due to covid they’re only doing phone consultations at my doctors office and when we spoke it felt as if he wanted too go and didn’t want too hear about my concerns. I have a great support network and my partner is great about it. I just have tried sooo hard too reduce everyThing and eat well too lower my risks in future pregnancies and I am at a point I’m much much healthier now. However I do feel as the doctors are just not really helping at all. I work in healthcare myself and know the stress they’re under but I don’t think it’s an excuse for some things.

Reactions: Susie2021

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry about your tragic loss.

you are NOT cheating.
You have been left in limbo, and you are making the very best of the situation you find yourself.

The way I see it, it is all very simple.
We just need to control our blood glucose to levels which reduce the odds of us developing diabetic complications in the future. There are various ways of doing this, which include medications, diet, lifestyle and exercise. I suspect that there are few of us (no matter which type of D we have), who only use one of these methods.

At the moment, you have mentioned 2. In time, you may use others. We all do what we can, and use the tools we have available - and that is exactly what you are doing. And doing it well, as far as I can see.

I’m going to tag in @Juicyj because I believe she started off with a diagnosis during pregnancy, and there is no doubt that she is T1.

If you can wrangle the antibody tests, they may shed more light, but in the meantime, please continue using the tools you have, and do it guilt free. Even if you are T2, then using insulin doesn’t make you a ‘bad’ diabetic (those don’t exist, by the way). The risk for T2s is that the injected insulin will add to the body’s own insulin causing escalating insulin resistance. That would likely show as weight gain and steadily increasing insulin requirements. Since you don’t mention that happening, it looks like what you are doing is working for you.

Reactions: Robbity

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m really sorry about your loss

don’t feel it is cheating. Medications are sometimes needed in my opinion and whilst there may be ways with changing lifestyle and what you eat to reduce or come off them it’s not guaranteed and you shouldn’t feel bad if that’s the case

keeping your blood sugars controlled is the main thing

Nicole22

I’m really sorry about your loss

don’t feel it is cheating. Medications are sometimes needed in my opinion and whilst there may be ways with changing lifestyle and what you eat to reduce or come off them it’s not guaranteed and you shouldn’t feel bad if that’s the case

keeping your blood sugars controlled is the main thing
Thankyou , I just didn’t want too get the results and rely on those results (piece of mind) if they weren’t going too be somewhat right , I don’t expect 100% accuracy but who does? I just would a good estimate :) xx

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sympathy too for your sad loss.

You're certainly NOT cheating, it's a matter of finding the best solution to manage your diabetes. Not every T2 can manage their diabetes by diet alone, some may need to take orals medications or insulin because of the severity of their diabetes or because they also have other issues to cope with as well. But if you are concerned then do try to get an appointment to discuss your situation.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm too sorry for your loss.

The best way to prepare yourself for a healthier body in preparation of falling pregnant again can be to be on insulin even if your not a type1.
Myself I was trying for years for a second pregnancy. I was on insulin throughout that time. My endocrinologist down south was excellent in helping me prepare for my difficult to fall pregnant body. I only fell pregnant on Metformin though. Hence even now I'm on both. I too lose weight on excellent bgs. Only lower than 8s helped me lose weight and on a low calorie, high protein/low carb.
I have had to get sterilised to continue on Metformin treatment. Ironic isn't it? I was infertile for decades until then.

You are definitely being a very wise diabetic. In my opinion.
No cheating but wisdom, me thinks.

I forsee only success from your thinking. Perseverance is my middle name. Believe me. However worth every disappointment or distraction.

Have you received any info about managing your insulin treatment on falling pregnant again?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Nicole, I suspect you mean 'cheating' in the sense that you are not sure whether you are actually diabetic anymore following gestational diabetes but still have the means (insulin) to help lower your glucose levels? I don't know an awful lot about what happens to people following a pregnancy in terms of gestational diabetes and its continuance, but I think I would be going back to the Drs and trying to establish what my body is doing and what, if any type I have? Some go back to being non diabetic, some remain as a type 2 diabetic and some probably get diagnosed as type 1 or other. Although insulin is obviously helping you I'm just wondering whether there would be any long term issues in continuing to take it IF you no longer have diabetes or type 2 and may still be producing your own insulin? You are obviously doing really well but personally I would want to know. x

Nicole22

Hi Nicole, I suspect you mean 'cheating' in the sense that you are not sure whether you are actually diabetic anymore following gestational diabetes but still have the means (insulin) to help lower your glucose levels? I don't know an awful lot about what happens to people following a pregnancy in terms of gestational diabetes and its continuance, but I think I would be going back to the Drs and trying to establish what my body is doing and what, if any type I have? Some go back to being non diabetic, some remain as a type 2 diabetic and some probably get diagnosed as type 1 or other. Although insulin is obviously helping you I'm just wondering whether there would be any long term issues in continuing to take it IF you no longer have diabetes or type 2 and may still be producing your own insulin? You are obviously doing really well but personally I would want to know. x
I was not diagnosed with gestational diabetes , I was diagnosed type 2. My HBA1C came back at 70 when I first got pregnant and I do still see how I would be a diabetic.

Nicole22

I'm too sorry for your loss.

The best way to prepare yourself for a healthier body in preparation of falling pregnant again can be to be on insulin even if your not a type1.
Myself I was trying for years for a second pregnancy. I was on insulin throughout that time. My endocrinologist down south was excellent in helping me prepare for my difficult to fall pregnant body. I only fell pregnant on Metformin though. Hence even now I'm on both. I too lose weight on excellent bgs. Only lower than 8s helped me lose weight and on a low calorie, high protein/low carb.
I have had to get sterilised to continue on Metformin treatment. Ironic isn't it? I was infertile for decades until then.

You are definitely being a very wise diabetic. In my opinion.
No cheating but wisdom, me thinks.

I forsee only success from your thinking. Perseverance is my middle name. Believe me. However worth every disappointment or distraction.

Have you received any info about managing your insulin treatment on falling pregnant again?
Due to going on my medication when I was pregnant I know the medication is safe , I take metformin and insulin together however metformin never really helped me but I remain on it as I no it can be used to help fertility , so I’m not complaining. I had my HBA1C back recently and it’s 41 so :D we are going too be trying over the next few months❤️ Wish us luck

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Due to going on my medication when I was pregnant I know the medication is safe , I take metformin and insulin together however metformin never really helped me but I remain on it as I no it can be used to help fertility , so I’m not complaining. I had my HBA1C back recently and it’s 41 so :D we are going too be trying over the next few months❤️ Wish us luck
Excellent. Good luck. :) :) :)