Pneumococcal vaccine For diabetes not age

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a telephone diabetes review. For the first time they are recommending a Pneumococcal (pneumonia) vaccine as well as the flu. I am not in the over 65 age group nor do I have kidney disease. The only change from the last couple of years is a significant birthday recently taking me into a new decade.

Anyone else being recommended it based on diabetes alone?
Anything other than a neutral experience that might be relevant to investigate before I get it done? Bgl, common reactions etc

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get a pneumonia jab every 5 years - I presume I get it cos I'm diabetic but I think for me it has to be redone every 5 cos I'm coeliac as well. I also am neither 65+ nor have kidney problems
For myself it causes a sore/tender shoulder just like the flu jab does but that's it for side effects for me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Vaccine season for flu with me is not till October time. However, back in the day when "swine flu" was going about I seem to remember the vaccine being recomended just as I was sitting down for the jab?
I've always had a flu jab. No other issues. 18 going on 52 & a bit.. ;)

Reactions: HSSS

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and I generally have our flu vacs together. The year he reached the age for the pneumonia one he had that alongside his flu vac. In different arms. The nurse said she couldn't give me one as I wasn't old enough but suggested I try the pharmacy. I did that. It cost £10. Neither of us had any reactions at all. I seem to remember we were asked if we had any egg allergies. I could confidently say I don't. Apparently it is a one-off vaccination with no necessity for repeats.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apparently it is a one-off vaccination with no necessity for repeats.
Unless you have coeliac disease apparently - they're not sure about it lasting as long or something, so its on a 5 year repeat

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the pneumococcal vaccine a long time back, I think the year after the flu vaccine was offered, I don't recall any adverse effects same as the flu jab but I have that one every year anyway, I've no medical conditions other than T1d...

I bet they're not doing it in the Acomb Methodist church hall this year tho :p

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a pneumonia jab when I was a teenager, they offered it so I had it :) it was about 17 years ago now I think

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had it about 5/6 years ago thing it was a 10 year one (I'm 45 now) went in for annual flu jab, came out having had one in each arm

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had it offered to me during my forties whilst in there for my flu jab, which I took them up on. Didn't have any side effects.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a pneumonia jab because of age and I think it was a one off. Maybe every 10 years amounts to the same thing in my case, I hope not.
The nurse told me they always do the pneumonia and flu jabs 2 weeks apart to avoid sore arms, maybe different arms works as well.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I got it done last year or the year before. I think my surgery offers it along with the flu jag - I am 52, my diabetes is controlled with diet & exercise only and I have no problems with my kidneys. As far as I can remember I got the 2 done at the same time, one in each arm and I can't remember having an adverse reaction to either. I was quite happy to get it done after watching my mother and brother both suffer with pneumonia and being very ill with it and hospitalised (not pleasant at all). I think it is a one off but my mum gets it done every year with her previously having pneumonia.

lindisfel

Expert
Just had a telephone diabetes review. For the first time they are recommending a Pneumococcal (pneumonia) vaccine as well as the flu. I am not in the over 65 age group nor do I have kidney disease. The only change from the last couple of years is a significant birthday recently taking me into a new decade.

Anything other than a neutral experience that might be relevant to investigate before I get it done? Bgl, common reactions etc
I would recommend it, it may prevent you getting sepsis. It lasts a number of years.
D.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

I have regular flu jabs and had a pneumonia several years ago. I was initially told that it was for ten years and then I was told I didn't need it again. Confusing? I've had a little google and see that there is a particular vaccine that needs redoing every 5 years. "The Pneumovax 23 covers twenty three different variants of the pneumococcal bacteria. In healthy adults, revaccination is not indicated (necessary). Patients with underlying chronic disease should probably be revaccinated every 5 years."

I've not had any problems but my father refused because he wasn't bothered, pneumonia was one of several things on his death certificate.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get a pneumonia jab every 5 years - I presume I get it cos I'm diabetic but I think for me it has to be redone every 5 cos I'm coeliac as well. I also am neither 65+ nor have kidney problems
For myself it causes a sore/tender shoulder just like the flu jab does but that's it for side effects for me.
Interesting. Today’s nurse told me it was every 5 years if you have kidney issues but as a diabetic is a one off.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. It seems pretty routine, which is reassuring. I’ll get a bit more info from the surgery, do a bit of digging but probably it done with the flu jab (which they don’t know when that”” be done yet anyway)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH had his when he was 50 after his major heart op.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had it when I had my flu jab I was told it was a one off but as I have CKD and diabetes I might double check that.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions