Wrist band

John222

Hi ..just wondering if anyone living with Reactive hypoglycemia uses a silicone medical wrist band..

I'm thinking of having it printed just
Low blood sugar

Because I'm sure in an emergency the average person would not know what reactive hypoglycemia is

Any ideas would be welcome plus names of any uk companies would be great.
Thanks John.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi ..just wondering if anyone living with Reactive hypoglycemia uses a silicone medical wrist band..

Low blood sugar

Because I'm sure in an emergency the average person would not know what reactive hypoglycemia is

Thanks John.

Hi John,
Hope you are ok?

I wear a stainless steel necklace with reactive hypoglycaemia on it.
I can't wear a wrist band due to when I was working.
I got delivered from www.MyIdentityDoctor.com.
They have a range of medical jewellery, which might interest you.

I also have information in my wallet about RH, because through my experience in an emergency, some doctors haven't a clue about RH!
And would probably treat a hypo just as if you were T1.
I have also seen above wrist tattoo on a few diabetics!

Keep safe

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've just thought on, that is an American company but I still found them decent prices and prompt delivery times.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Medic Alert bracelet with Reactive Hypoglycaemia on it.
(Also Allergies: Gluten, bee stings)
I figure that if a healthcare professional sees I have gone to the trouble of wearing a bracelet saying Reactive Hypoglycaemia on it, and if they don’t know what it is, then they are more likely to check before they treat me. They can look it up themselves, or ring the number of the bracelet tag.

My concerns with treatment is less about one off treatment by a paramedic, or doc - because As soon as I were coherent, I could explain and monitor what that treatment is. Instead, I would be more concerned with a situation where I was unconscious, unable to communicate, and someone hooked me up to a glucose drip.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
and someone hooked me up to a glucose drip

Just curious. what is the treatment for an unconscious RHer? I can see that a glucose drip is a bad idea, but what, if anything is safe to use? Do you just have to wait it out? (Or is an alert's purpose just for a none RH related episode such as a car crash?).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just curious. what is the treatment for an unconscious RHer? I can see that a glucose drip is a bad idea, but what, if anything is safe to use? Do you just have to wait it out? (Or is an alert's purpose just for a none RH related episode such as a car crash?).

I’m not familiar with all the medical circumstances that require hooking up with drips, glucose, or otherwise. Nor am I able to guess the specific of what situation would cause me to need one. Until recently, I would have guessed car crash. Now I would have to include respirAtor as a (v unlikely) option.

knowing the treatment that some T1s get in hospital, regarding confiscation of their insulin supplies, sliding scale, lack of testing and hopeless timing of insulin, I wouldn’t really expect much joined up thinking about RH. They are, however, experts at inserting drips - which they don’t do for fun. So maybe there will be a valid reason and my RH bracelet will be dismissed as irrelevant.

my body is extremely unlikely to make me unconscious from RH itself, so I can only hope I would be aware enough to communicate if I’m in the circumstances above.

Reactions: EllieM

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Low blood sugar

Thanks John.

I wouldn't count on the average person knowing or doing anything if you suddenly dropped to the floor and was unable to communicate, other than to call an ambulance. I think it would be better to use the correct medical term because at least then (as Brunneria says) medical/ambulance staff would either know or find out and be able to pass that info on to the hospital. Just putting 'low blood sugar' might be more confusing especially as you may have dropped to the floor for some entirely unconnected reason. x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had several discussions with doctors, paramedics, (one who is a colleague) a&e staff and my club doctor.
They seem to favour that the standard of information for treatment is similar to any hypo by using a glucagon drip, if I was unconscious in an emergency situation as in a car crash.
If I was conscious, I would advise a different answer for my low blood sugar levels.
My family have been told, and my surgery is aware of my situation in this regard.
There are other situations where you can never know what happens to you.
When travelling around because of my last job, I would always carry something to eat and drink in my bag in case of a high or a low!

I had an incident in work, when I had an electric shock because some idiot never turned off a shower.
I was okay for an hour, then it caught up with me and I felt awful, similar to the warning I get when my blood sugar levels drop quickly, the doctor on call, came and checked me over, BP, blood sugar levels, an ecg, and everything else that he could check, he knew about my RH and told me that I should get to hospital for a blood check up and to ensure everything else was okay.
But I do believe that he erred on the side of caution.
Luckily I was good and the hospital found nothing untoward, by that time, I was feeling a lot better but tired.
All my surgery doctors have realised that because I have controlled my RH so well (except the last couple of months) that if I do attend surgery in the past they ask if their advice is in line with my knowledge of how my body reacts to anything like antibiotics or meds, my meds including my new ones are lactose and sugar free.

Hope this helps

Keep safe