Low Carb spikes and lows

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
I am newly diagnosed and on a low carb diet. It is now apparent that two hours after eating dhal my BG spikes to over 10 mmol/l (this has happened twice now) and I should avoid in future. There is so much evidence that suggests it should be the opposite, it seems bad luck that my body is behaving badly.

My GP says I don't need to be testing my BG. I beg to differ, I am establishing what I can and can't eat.

I am also trying to work out how much walking and cycling I can do without going hypo or having a migraine. I have had 5 hypo (under 4mmol/l) readings in the past 9 days.

My GP says taking insulin (which I don't) is what causes hypos. My lowest reading was 3.2mmol/l so not desperately low.

I'm still new to this condition so any thoughts on management etc are very welcome.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am newly diagnosed and on a low carb diet. It is now apparent that two hours after eating dhal my BG spikes to over 10 mmol/l (this has happened twice now) and I should avoid in future. There is so much evidence that suggests it should be the opposite, it seems bad luck that my body is behaving badly.

My GP says I don't need to be testing my BG. I beg to differ, I am establishing what I can and can't eat.

I am also trying to work out how much walking and cycling I can do without going hypo or having a migraine. I have had 5 hypo (under 4mmol/l) readings in the past 9 days.

My GP says taking insulin (which I don't) is what causes hypos. My lowest reading was 3.2mmol/l so not desperately low.

I'm still new to this condition so any thoughts on management etc are very welcome.
Always carry glucose tablets with you or some armones nuts they help me when I go lowe are you worrying too much over it ten doesn't seem that bad to me I've been doing Lowe carb diet for a month now I had lower my insulin from 22 mil to. Ten twice a day

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Are you taking any medication at all?

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Are you taking any medication at all?
I started on Metformin and it made me feel dreadful (nausea, metallic taste, struggling to eat anything) . I stopped after 6 days and my BG was in a normal range by then.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In somebody who is not taking any blood-sugar lowering medication, that is the majority of the population, it is possible for the BS to drop below 4 mml without it being dangerous in any way. A hypo which needs to be treated is defined as being below 4 mml, because for anyone who is insulin or is on some other drug designed to lower BS, the level is going to continue to drop lower because of the drug or insulin which has already been taken. You may feel rough at 4 mml if your body is used to much higher levels, but this is not actually dangerous. Just trying to explain your doctor's reaction to the mention of the term 'hypo'.

If you find a lowish test result seems to be associated with a migraine, I suspect this may be possible for you as an individual. I have never had migraine. Have you had it before or is this something new ?
I think some type 2s may be better placed to offer more detailed advice. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: katie505

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dhal, being made with legumes - something which many people report finding problematic if they are type two, needs careful handling.
I really have to watch the amount of any peas or beans I eat - I can manage about a tablespoon full as it is as though their carbs are supercharged.
I wonder if your low readings might be due to dehydration.
These days in the height of summer I really have to ensure my water intake is enough - after long being bombarded with advice to eat carbs - which made me thirsty, my response to being thirsty is very toned down, so I need to remind myself that it is no longer my normal state of being so I really do need a drink.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In somebody who is not taking any blood-sugar lowering medication, that is the majority of the population, it is possible for the BS to drop below 4 mml without it being dangerous in any way. A hypo which needs to be treated is defined as being below 4 mml, because for anyone who is insulin or is on some other drug designed to lower BS, the level is going to continue to drop lower because of the drug or insulin which has already been taken. You may feel rough at 4 mml if your body is used to much higher levels, but this is not actually dangerous. Just trying to explain your doctor's reaction to the mention of the term 'hypo'.

If you find a lowish test result seems to be associated with a migraine, I suspect this may be possible for you as an individual. I have never had migraine. Have you had it before or is this something new ?
I think some type 2s may be better placed to offer more detailed advice. Good luck.
Thanks for the explanation, it is really helpful. Migraines are unfortunately something I have to live with (or hide in a dark room with) and often if something else is awry then it is enough to trigger a migraine.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dhal, being made with legumes - something which many people report finding problematic if they are type two, needs careful handling.
I really have to watch the amount of any peas or beans I eat - I can manage about a tablespoon full as it is as though their carbs are supercharged.
I wonder if your low readings might be due to dehydration.
These days in the height of summer I really have to ensure my water intake is enough - after long being bombarded with advice to eat carbs - which made me thirsty, my response to being thirsty is very toned down, so I need to remind myself that it is no longer my normal state of being so I really do need a drink.
Thanks for the tips, that's reassuring to hear.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started on Metformin and it made me feel dreadful (nausea, metallic taste, struggling to eat anything) . I stopped after 6 days and my BG was in a normal range by then.

Excellent.. so your 3.2 is amazing after such a short time..I'd have to fast for about 3 days solid to get anywhere close to that.

Edit to add

"My GP says I don't need to be testing my BG. I beg to differ, I am establishing what I can and can't eat."

I'd go so far as to say your GP is an idiot.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Excellent.. so your 3.2 is amazing after such a short time..I'd have to fast for about 3 days solid to get anywhere close to that.

Edit to add

"My GP says I don't need to be testing my BG. I beg to differ, I am establishing what I can and can't eat."

I'd go so far as to say your GP is an idiot.
Thanks for your comments, you've made me smile and laugh out loud. That's going some as I've had a real downer of a day (not helped by receiving a letter threatening a court summons). Thanks so much.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... Migraines are unfortunately something I have to live with (or hide in a dark room with) and often if something else is awry then it is enough to trigger a migraine.
For most of my life I was a chronic migraine sufferer. One of the major benefits I (and a number of other forum members Including @Goonergal) have found with eating a low carb/ketogenic diet is those migraines can disappear! I've not had one for over six years now, stopped my permanent migraine meds, and can even enjoy the few foods that could generally trigger them. I sincerely hope that you'll enjoy this relief too eventually.

Reactions: Bex72

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For most of my life I was a chronic migraine sufferer. One of the major benefits I (and a number of other forum members Including @Goonergal) have found with eating a low carb/ketogenic diet is those migraines can disappear! I've not had one for over six years now, stopped my permanent migraine meds, and can even enjoy the few foods that could generally trigger them. I sincerely hope that you'll enjoy this relief too eventually.
Thanks so much for mentioning this. If I managed to get an outcome like this it would be a massive bonus. The migraines have been a long standing very unpleasant problem (I'm all set up to have nerve blocking injections in the back of my head if and when I get another bad patch). I've heard that low carb helps reduce inflammation so I am optimistic.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for mentioning this. If I managed to get an outcome like this it would be a massive bonus. The migraines have been a long standing very unpleasant problem (I'm all set up to have nerve blocking injections in the back of my head if and when I get another bad patch). I've heard that low carb helps reduce inflammation so I am optimistic.

Hi @Bex72 and thanks @Robbity for the tag. I’m not on the forum as often as usual as away for a few days, so sorry for the slow response.

Bex, I’ve had the nerve blocking injections a couple of times to no great effect. I was treating 6-8 migraines a month (with triptans) on diagnosis and it is now more than 3 years since I last have one. I attribute this to a keto diet - when discharging me from the hospital I attended for many years the consultant did acknowledge that there was ‘anecdotal’ evidence of its efficacy for migraine. Given that a ketogenic diet is actively used for children with epilepsy and that much of the prophylactic medication used for migraine is primarily used for epilepsy, I don’t understand why it’s not mentioned to those with chronic migraines as a route to try.

Have you come across Angela Stanton’s work on migraines? Worth a read. She’s also active on Twitter.

Oh, and on your exercise point, I frequently walk for hours (seriously, all day) water fasted without going hypo. I’m unmedicated. Just be sure to keep your fluids and electrolytes up.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Bex72 and thanks @Robbity for the tag. I’m not on the forum as often as usual as away for a few days, so sorry for the slow response.

Bex, I’ve had the nerve blocking injections a couple of times to no great effect. I was treating 6-8 migraines a month (with triptans) on diagnosis and it is now more than 3 years since I last have one. I attribute this to a keto diet - when discharging me from the hospital I attended for many years the consultant did acknowledge that there was ‘anecdotal’ evidence of its efficacy for migraine. Given that a ketogenic diet is actively used for children with epilepsy and that much of the prophylactic medication used for migraine is primarily used for epilepsy, I don’t understand why it’s not mentioned to those with chronic migraines as a route to try.

Have you come across Angela Stanton’s work on migraines? Worth a read. She’s also active on Twitter.

Oh, and on your exercise point, I frequently walk for hours (seriously, all day) water fasted without going hypo. I’m unmedicated. Just be sure to keep your fluids and electrolytes up.
Goonergal, thanks so much for your reply. I will read Angela Stanton's work. An initial internet search brought up the successes with children with epilepsy. Indeed I was on Epilim for a year when I was in my late twenties, it was a drug that caused me to have lots of infections weirdly. I've been on so my acute and prophylactic treatments over the years that I have lost count. I'm taking nothing at present and am OK(ish). I realise that the nerve blocker is a bit hit and miss. Some have success with botox injections but if course lots of trusts do not want to fund this. I had a leisurely 4 mile walk today and a migraine an hour later! I think next time I will test mid walk and have a snack.
On a positive note, I am sleeping much better now, I am having fewer hot flushes (menopause) and my fingernails (which are normally weak and break easily) are stronger than ever.
Thanks again, I am so pleased that your migraine woes are behind you. B x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had episodes of migraines which - looking back on it now - all corresponded with the diet sheet printout periods.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi Goonergal,

I was thinking about you in relation to migraines as something rather bizarre has happened.
I recently awoke with a migraine on the 10th consecutive day. Groaning inwardly, I reached down for my tablet and googled "how to get rid of a migraine". The search results showed an article /video from the mirror online. To sum up, to switch off the migraine/headache ask yourself three questions: where does it hurt? What colour is it? What shape is it?
Ask the questions and think about them over and over.
My initial thought was "yeah, as if".
I have used this method repeatedly now and it has worked each time. Plus my daily migraines have gone.
My migraine I imagine as a faulty pathway. I just think the focus on the questions somehow diverted attention.
It is so bizarre, who would have thought.
Just thought I had to share with someone who understands the pain and inconvenience of migraines!
I hope that you are well. I seem to be in my own herd immunity experiment. With schools back we now have 2 covid kids and other test results awaited. A bit trying but nothing serious. I'm looking forward to my evening rum and coke zero already. B xx

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Goonergal,

I was thinking about you in relation to migraines as something rather bizarre has happened.
I recently awoke with a migraine on the 10th consecutive day. Groaning inwardly, I reached down for my tablet and googled "how to get rid of a migraine". The search results showed an article /video from the mirror online. To sum up, to switch off the migraine/headache ask yourself three questions: where does it hurt? What colour is it? What shape is it?
Ask the questions and think about them over and over.
My initial thought was "yeah, as if".
I have used this method repeatedly now and it has worked each time. Plus my daily migraines have gone.
My migraine I imagine as a faulty pathway. I just think the focus on the questions somehow diverted attention.
It is so bizarre, who would have thought.
Just thought I had to share with someone who understands the pain and inconvenience of migraines!
I hope that you are well. I seem to be in my own herd immunity experiment. With schools back we now have 2 covid kids and other test results awaited. A bit trying but nothing serious. I'm looking forward to my evening rum and coke zero already. B xx

That’s great it’s working for you. Must be a big relief - hope that continues.

Reactions: Bex72