Cannabis and type 1 diabetes

hooner

is there anyone here who smoke cannabis and has type 1?
does it increase or decrease your insulin sensitivity?
is your blood glucose more stable when you smoke?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

As someone who has a very distant history of the "experience" experimenting citing the BG managment theory, & now found the joys of self funding a Libre+CGM setup instead?
It has properties that can help with a few things, but BG management? Personally, no. The jury is still out..

Less hassle "scoring" a sensor.. ;)

(Edit for clarity.)

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the main problem is getting the munchies and eating too much. I always ended up with high blood glucose.

hooner

I have not tried cannabis myself. I have however and still am consuming CBD Oil, which is pretty much the oil version without making you high.
depending on the dosage and strength of the oil 1%, 3%, 5% 10%, it does increase insulin sensitivity and helped me a lot with keeping my blood glucose more stable instead of having spikes and lows.
I used to take 2 shots of long lasting insulin (about 12hours) once in the morning and once before sleep for many years. When I started CBD oil after couple weeks I stopped taking long lasting insulin in the mornings and only take it before sleep. I have continued taking cbd and havn't taken long lasting insulin in the mornings for many months without problems.

Unfortunately CBD oil is illegal in many countries..........

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a 53 year old recreational smoker preferring that vice to alcohol, munchies are the thing tho :p and I've had some nasty spikes when doing the Amsterdam coffee shops and the food counters on the streets drag me in with their pizza slices and such in open view to tempt you over (I leave De Wallen well alone mind)

Cannabis doesn't affect blood sugars or insulin sensitivity per se...

But in the UK it's illegal so a moot point :p

Reactions: hels

TypeZero.

I have not tried cannabis myself. I have however and still am consuming CBD Oil, which is pretty much the oil version without making you high.
depending on the dosage and strength of the oil 1%, 3%, 5% 10%, it does increase insulin sensitivity and helped me a lot with keeping my blood glucose more stable instead of having spikes and lows.
I used to take 2 shots of long lasting insulin (about 12hours) once in the morning and once before sleep for many years. When I started CBD oil after couple weeks I stopped taking long lasting insulin in the mornings and only take it before sleep. I have continued taking cbd and havn't taken long lasting insulin in the mornings for many months without problems.

Unfortunately CBD oil is illegal in many countries..........

Are you a new T1 diabetic? I was researching about CBD and T1D before buying CBD chocolates from Holland & Barrett and some research suggests it can help insulin secretion so that may be the cause.

Honestly I don’t believe scientific research anymore they say everything has so many benefits

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Used to be a recreational user a while ago. Never really noticed any difference in BGs or insulin sensitivity to be honest. Can honestly say I never really suffered wit the munchies either

Reactions: kev-w

hooner

Are you a new T1 diabetic? I was researching about CBD and T1D before buying CBD chocolates from Holland & Barrett and some research suggests it can help insulin secretion so that may be the cause.

Honestly I don’t believe scientific research anymore they say everything has so many benefits
No i have had type 1 for over 10+ years. I didn't try cbd chocolate only CBD OIL. It did increase my insulin sensitivty. I also don't take morning long lasting insulin since i started with cbd.