1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cannabis and type 1 diabetes

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by hooner, Aug 28, 2020.

1. hooner

hooner · Member

is there anyone here who smoke cannabis and has type 1?
    does it increase or decrease your insulin sensitivity?
    is your blood glucose more stable when you smoke?

2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

As someone who has a very distant history of the "experience" experimenting citing the BG managment theory, & now found the joys of self funding a Libre+CGM setup instead?
    It has properties that can help with a few things, but BG management? Personally, no. The jury is still out..

Less hassle "scoring" a sensor.. ;)

(Edit for clarity.)

• Like Like x 1
    #2 Jaylee, Aug 28, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  3. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think the main problem is getting the munchies and eating too much. I always ended up with high blood glucose.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. hooner

hooner · Member

I have not tried cannabis myself. I have however and still am consuming CBD Oil, which is pretty much the oil version without making you high.
    depending on the dosage and strength of the oil 1%, 3%, 5% 10%, it does increase insulin sensitivity and helped me a lot with keeping my blood glucose more stable instead of having spikes and lows.
    I used to take 2 shots of long lasting insulin (about 12hours) once in the morning and once before sleep for many years. When I started CBD oil after couple weeks I stopped taking long lasting insulin in the mornings and only take it before sleep. I have continued taking cbd and havn't taken long lasting insulin in the mornings for many months without problems.

Unfortunately CBD oil is illegal in many countries..........

#4 hooner, Aug 28, 2020 at 9:46 PM
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  5. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm a 53 year old recreational smoker preferring that vice to alcohol, munchies are the thing tho :p and I've had some nasty spikes when doing the Amsterdam coffee shops and the food counters on the streets drag me in with their pizza slices and such in open view to tempt you over (I leave De Wallen well alone mind)

Cannabis doesn't affect blood sugars or insulin sensitivity per se...

But in the UK it's illegal so a moot point :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TypeZero.

TypeZero. · Well-Known Member

Are you a new T1 diabetic? I was researching about CBD and T1D before buying CBD chocolates from Holland & Barrett and some research suggests it can help insulin secretion so that may be the cause.

Honestly I don’t believe scientific research anymore they say everything has so many benefits

7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Used to be a recreational user a while ago. Never really noticed any difference in BGs or insulin sensitivity to be honest. Can honestly say I never really suffered wit the munchies either

• Like Like x 1
  8. hooner

hooner · Member

No i have had type 1 for over 10+ years. I didn't try cbd chocolate only CBD OIL. It did increase my insulin sensitivty. I also don't take morning long lasting insulin since i started with cbd.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook