Sharps bin

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those that self fund glucose meters do you self fund for sharps bins to ?

Hi there. There’s no need for a sharps bin if you’re only using testing strips and lancets. I use the old test strip tubs for disposing of lancets, as well as putting the little round piece back on top. But yes, if you self fund the strips (because you’re not on BG lowering meds) you’ll need to fund a sharps bin if you want one.

Reactions: Stephanie 1233

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can afford to look into the Accu Chek FastcClix Lancing Device and Lancets, with that there are 6 needles in a drum so the drum can just go in ordinary waste as there's no risk of injury as after each prick that needle retracts back into the drum xx

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it really does depend what your local councils do, I've seen for some they're given on prescription and councils/companies sort out the collection of full bins - for myself however I just take my full sealed bins to my doctors and they give me a replacement bin - I've never had a prescription - though I did buy my first one from the local chemist (for less than 2quid)

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Those that self fund glucose meters do you self fund for sharps bins to ?

I think it depends where you live and what your council does.

I did have a sharps bin when I was in my mis-diagnosed as T2 days and was primarily self-funding my test strips./lancets. There was no quibble about my requests to the council for a new sharps bin when I was totally self-funding. The council prefer test strips to go in that bin as well as needles and lancets as do the refuse collectors.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As I have seen mentioned multiple times - test strips are not "sharp" so do not need to go into Sharps Bins. If you think there is a problem with blood, then dedicated bins would need to be handed out to all girls when they reach puberty.

I agree, but I am only following the instructions handed to me by my council when I got the first bin and after discussions with one of the local refuse collectors.

We also get requested to double bag any blood stained items or soiled dressings thrown out as household waste. Same for any disposable face coverings or single-use gloves at the moment.

If I lived a couple of miles away, the instructions would be different.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
yes ring the local council and ask for a sharps bin they will pick up also when full and bring another sharps bin