1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sharps bin

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Stephanie 1233, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Stephanie 1233

Stephanie 1233 · Well-Known Member

Those that self fund glucose meters do you self fund for sharps bins to ?

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. There’s no need for a sharps bin if you’re only using testing strips and lancets. I use the old test strip tubs for disposing of lancets, as well as putting the little round piece back on top. But yes, if you self fund the strips (because you’re not on BG lowering meds) you’ll need to fund a sharps bin if you want one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kaylz91

kaylz91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you can afford to look into the Accu Chek FastcClix Lancing Device and Lancets, with that there are 6 needles in a drum so the drum can just go in ordinary waste as there's no risk of injury as after each prick that needle retracts back into the drum xx

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jim1951

jim1951 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My local council (Plymouth) supply and collect free of charge.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stephanie 1233

OK thank you for your help :) .

6. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think it really does depend what your local councils do, I've seen for some they're given on prescription and councils/companies sort out the collection of full bins - for myself however I just take my full sealed bins to my doctors and they give me a replacement bin - I've never had a prescription - though I did buy my first one from the local chemist (for less than 2quid)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I think it depends where you live and what your council does.

I did have a sharps bin when I was in my mis-diagnosed as T2 days and was primarily self-funding my test strips./lancets. There was no quibble about my requests to the council for a new sharps bin when I was totally self-funding. The council prefer test strips to go in that bin as well as needles and lancets as do the refuse collectors.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I agree, but I am only following the instructions handed to me by my council when I got the first bin and after discussions with one of the local refuse collectors.

We also get requested to double bag any blood stained items or soiled dressings thrown out as household waste. Same for any disposable face coverings or single-use gloves at the moment.

If I lived a couple of miles away, the instructions would be different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

yes ring the local council and ask for a sharps bin they will pick up also when full and bring another sharps bin

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stephanie 1233

Thanks every one I will ring my local council :).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook