Type 2 Does burning the toast reduce the carb content?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same practice as for potatoes, or pasta or rice, take it out once you have turned it into toast, reheat in microwave and re-freeze IF you so desire. For the same purpose of reducing the glycemic value.
I wonder if this would work with biscuits? Softly softly catchee monkey. Softly softy soggy biccy? Not suitable for chocolate digestives, I suspect.

Seriously, many frozen foods warn not to refreeze after thawing, or reheating, so there is probably a known hazard to avoid. I am happy to remain turning the toast over again a couple of times in one session. Seems to be less faff and bother at the worst time of the day for conscious thought.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I wonder if this would work with biscuits? Softly softly catchee monkey. Softly softy soggy biccy? Not suitable for chocolate digestives, I suspect.

Seriously, many frozen foods warn not to refreeze after thawing, or reheating, so there is probably a known hazard to avoid. I am happy to remain turning the toast over again a couple of times in one session. Seems to be less faff and bother at the worst time of the day for conscious thought.

One possible reason for warning against refreezing after thawing is it could turn the contents into a pile of Softly softly catchee monkey. Softly softy soggy whatever it once was.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has this thread turned into a Monty Python sketch?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has this thread turned into a Monty Python sketch?
No more than the Presidential Elections in USA. They are both important matters underpinned by science. Sometimes we only see it when we look in the mirror. That is what satire is all about. A spoonful of sugar etc.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter who sets the toaster so that it produces slightly off white toast for her complains bitterly when I toast my bread till its charred to blazes. I already freeze it to get more resistant starch (apparently) so the first dunk in the toaster is to remove the frost, the second warms it up a bit , and the next 2 attempts turn it into charcoal which is just how I like it. This produces a slight haze throughout the house which sets off both the fire alarm and my daughter in succession. Am I being selfish?

Actually I have seen reports that burning wheat and animal flesh produces cancer causing chemicals, but this did not see off any of my relatives who taught me to do that, and not one of them succumbed to cancer. (one died of Gout, which is a warning to me which I also ignore)

It all stems from my childhood days as a boy sprout, where I learnt to cook over a camp fire or Primus stove. Later on I graduated to coal fires, and an AGA, a Rayburn, and the occasional Bunsen burner, These new-fangled electrical thingummy jigs are beyond me. I just need them to switch then off, and glow in the dark so I can find them and not burn myself.

So the question remains, is this helping me in meeting my LC targets? I currently eat about 3 or 4 slices a day.

Hi,

From what I've gleaned. (Though not concrete.) it's nominal with the carb content (if at all?) toasting also has been mentioned (or alleged.) changes the fat content??? ("Good for diabetics" on the fat reduction in bread front, I read on one site.)
Yeah, I know. Who don't like butter dripping off toast..
With regards to the "GI?" Maybe worth seeing what happens spike or plateau wise (or not.) in the third to 4th hour after consumption?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK Last night I had a whole boil-in-the bag kipper fillets on toast (2 slices). The toast was not as deeply incinerated as my normal morning fare. My Pre / 2Hr / 4 Hr readings were
5 /7.1 / 4.5 Will try to repeat soon using bread untreated (2 slices) to compare and report back again but I need to score some more kippers.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK Last night I had a whole boil-in-the bag kipper fillets on toast (2 slices). The toast was not as deeply incinerated as my normal morning fare. My Pre / 2Hr / 4 Hr readings were
5 /7.1 / 4.5 Will try to repeat soon using bread untreated (2 slices) to compare and report back again but I need to score some more kippers.

Kippers. Breakfast of the gods. :)

Make it best (or worst) of 3 on the experiment.?
I can't help you with the Kippers I'm afraid, but I do have the "hard stuff" in the fridge.

Mackerel. ;)

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Now we are talking!!!

Getting down to the nitty gritty of n=1 science and the possibility of enraging a relative. I can hardly sleep, just waiting on the outcome. :wideyed:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now we are talking!!!

Getting down to the nitty gritty of n=1 science and the possibility of enraging a relative. I can hardly sleep, just waiting on the outcome. :wideyed:
If n=1 trials done in the kitchen are acceptable to the MoS and NICE then it should be good enough for us. In this case the test subject is a certified fully paid up member of the diabetic community (T2). The trial report will be peer reviewed by this Forum. I declare I have a financial interest in this study (I am self funding on one of my test meters and I am providing the test samples.)

Reactions: Jaylee

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If n=1 trials done in the kitchen are acceptable to the MoS and NICE then it should be good enough for us. In this case the test subject is a certified fully paid up member of the diabetic community (T2). The trial report will be peer reviewed by this Forum. I declare I have a financial interest in this study (I am self funding on one of my test meters and I am providing the test samples.)

All the protocols appear to be in place.

You could add your daughters results as non-T2 diabetic vs T2 diabetic outcome. Although this could be difficult in view of her lack of willingness to put up with the already mentioned scenarios that unfold every time you select the Chernobyl meltdown setting on the toaster.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
As an aside, after almost burning the house down, I would always never leave a toaster unattended when on. I did once and one of the toasts stuck on ejection and the element remained on and toast set fire. The smoke alarm saved the day.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If we are talking toaster stories, I strongly recommend emptying the crumb tray regularly.
A colleague had a weird smell in her kitchen which took about a week to source. A mouse had found the crumb tray, eaten the contents, got too fat to get out so was burned every morning my colleague made her breakfast toast.

ewwwwwww - gross !!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ewwwwwww - gross !!
So is cleaning the crumb tray. We just evicted a family of mouses from our kitchen (humane traps work very well) and our cat can relax and get some sleep now, Carnage avoided. Excess protein problem in the pantry dealt with.

Catman507

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am a type one however I do try to keep my carbs relatively low. I don't do keto, just low carb. Have you tried the Hi-lo bread in Sainsburys by any chance? It's 5.0g per slice, its not carb free of course however could potentially be much lower than regular bread. Its high in protein too. From my experience it toasts really well. It may be a good idea for you to try out.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Along similar lines, as fruit ripens, typically, it gets sweeter. Is that due to carbs which are in the unripened fruit turning to sugar or are less ripe fruit lower in carbs?

I think bananas contain more resistance starch when still a bit green, so less effect on glucose levels, but I could be wrong. And of course, not all fruits are the same. Just as not everyone likes their toast toasted to the same degree.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read with interest and am tempted to join in the experiment.but I have my breakfast toast with cheese and marmite and it makes an awful mess in a toaster perhaps I should try grilling it ?
Carol

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read with interest and am tempted to join in the experiment.but I have my breakfast toast with cheese and marmite and it makes an awful mess in a toaster perhaps I should try grilling it ?
Carol
We used to be able to get special plastic bags that survived the toaster and allowed toasted cheese sandwiches. Google "toasted sandwich bags" for current suppliers - still available apparently.