Type 2 Does burning the toast reduce the carb content?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My daughter who sets the toaster so that it produces slightly off white toast for her complains bitterly when I toast my bread till its charred to blazes. I already freeze it to get more resistant starch (apparently) so the first dunk in the toaster is to remove the frost, the second warms it up a bit , and the next 2 attempts turn it into charcoal which is just how I like it. This produces a slight haze throughout the house which sets off both the fire alarm and my daughter in succession. Am I being selfish?

Actually I have seen reports that burning wheat and animal flesh produces cancer causing chemicals, but this did not see off any of my relatives who taught me to do that, and not one of them succumbed to cancer. (one died of Gout, which is a warning to me which I also ignore)

It all stems from my childhood days as a boy sprout, where I learnt to cook over a camp fire or Primus stove. Later on I graduated to coal fires, and an AGA, a Rayburn, and the occasional Bunsen burner, These new-fangled electrical thingummy jigs are beyond me. I just need them to switch then off, and glow in the dark so I can find them and not burn myself.

So the question remains, is this helping me in meeting my LC targets? I currently eat about 3 or 4 slices a day.

Reactions: Buzzer81

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I'm quite concerned there might actually be a fire in your house one day and you won't even notice it. Or you'll regard the danger as a great time get some extra toast done.

I'm really not sure what requirements you are meeting as you are clearly smoking the toast first (Inhaling) and then eating what is left. It's all very.... umm, unique. Perhaps that's the word for it, I was going to go with ritual. Maybe you are cleansing the house of evil spirits too, I don't know.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm quite concerned there might actually be a fire in your house one day and you won't even notice it. Or you'll regard the danger as a great time get some extra toast done.

I'm really not sure what requirements you are meeting as you are clearly smoking the toast first (Inhaling) and then eating what is left. It's all very.... umm, unique. Perhaps that's the word for it, I was going to go with ritual. Maybe you are cleansing the house of evil spirits too, I don't know.
I see you take this quandary as seriously as I do. As regards your first para, then this would certainly cure my diabetes and I would not need to burn the toast ever again. However,it remains a question of scientific interest. Does burning the toast change carbohydrate into carbon, CO2 and water vapour, and if it does is it therefore better to have toast from the freezer than plain bread from the packet if one is embarking on the LC (Low Carb) journey.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see you take this quandary as seriously as I do. As regards your first para, then this would certainly cure my diabetes and I would not need to burn the toast ever again. However,it remains a question of scientific interest. Does burning the toast change carbohydrate into carbon, CO2 and water vapour, and if it does is it therefore better to have toast from the freezer than plain bread from the packet if one is embarking on the LC (Low Carb) journey.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/food/6465485/freezing-white-bread-toasting-less-sugar/

I mean it’s the sun, but still...

you could test your blood, eat the embers and test 2 hours later. But as I said if you want lower carbs buy low carb bread or don’t eat it

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently toasted bread has a lower glycemic index and lower vitamin B.

But quick google indicates no
https://www.livestrong.com/article/302420-does-toasting-bread-change-its-nutritional-value/

if you want lower carb bread You can buy lower carb bread, just significantly more expensive
My understanding of chemistry, especially organic chem, would dispute that livestrong statement, and that reducing a hydrocarbon to carbon and its constituents (i.e, turning a blowtorch onto it) will certainly mess up its nutritional value. For a start it turns modern wheat flour into acrylic (and proteins into amides) which is why toast is considered cancerous.

I presume this same principle would apply to creme brulee and Crepes Suzette?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/food/6465485/freezing-white-bread-toasting-less-sugar/

I mean it’s the sun, but still...

you could test your blood, eat the embers and test 2 hours later. But as I said if you want lower carbs buy low carb bread or don’t eat it
I do test and 2 slices of toast and butter raises me by less than 1 mmol/l but bread and butter raises by about 3 mmol/l per slice If i use white refined bread the figures are disastrous. One finger roll in a BBQ a couple of weeks ago sent me up to 12 mmol/l.

If I did not know empirically (n=1) then I would not faff around doing it.

I wonder who the Sun uses for their science

Edit to add: The Sun seems to be spot on about increasing the resistant starch. One side effect is that the lower intestine gets more of it to work on, thus improving gut flora, and as a by product, producing more gas, I can vouch for that personally, and also I have not needed any laxative since I started using this trick.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does burning the toast reduce the carb content? In my case yes, because having burnt it I put it in the bin.
I have a slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed bread toasted with my bacon and egg breakfast. It is lower carb than normal bread, makes good toast straight from the freezer, and is not expensive.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

I would say toast from the freezer, the lowering of the glycemic value by cooking it and then freezing it and repeating this process a number of times seems to work at lowering the spike one may then see. As is cooking potatoes and then freezing them and reheating and repeating a number of times till the individual gets it just the way they like it. I used to do this with the potatoes, the lower carb ones. It did increase the resistance starch with each heating and cooling process. Obviously this requires some planning ahead, maybe not so much with toast. With potatoes, it's a plan to eat them the next day kind of venture.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say toast from the freezer, the lowering of the glycemic value by cooking it and then freezing it and repeating this process a number of times seems to work at lowering the spike one may then see. As is cooking potatoes and then freezing them and reheating and repeating a number of times till the individual gets it just the way they like it. I used to do this with the potatoes, the lower carb ones. It did increase the resistance starch with each heating and cooling process. Obviously this requires some planning ahead, maybe not so much with toast. With potatoes, it's a plan to eat them the next day kind of venture.
Indeed. The same applies to Rice, but reheating cooked rice comes with additional problems regarding bacterial growth so use with care. Freeze cooked rice immediately after cooking by cooling in running cold water then straight into the freezer. When re heating, do not leave around at room temp for it to defrost before heating. Ensure it is piping hot when serving.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I suspect that this principle will apply to root vegetables, and also to fruits and any farinaceous product (eclairs per ex) Certainly the strudel logs I get sometimes that are frozen also seem to benefit from this and although they spike me, it is not as much as the carb content on the package would suggest.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say toast from the freezer, the lowering of the glycemic value by cooking it and then freezing it and repeating this process a number of times
Are you really saying make some toast, freeze it, re-toast it and repeat a number of times? That might be lower carb but probably inedible.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you really saying make some toast, freeze it, re-toast it and repeat a number of times? That might be lower carb but probably inedible.
No, the toasting operation is a cyclic one leading to inedible (for many) but flavorsome (for me) charcoal biscuits. It needs several repeats simply because I can't be bothered to alter the setting on the toaster then listen to my daughter going on and on about how it takes her a week to get the right colour shade that matches her lipstick this week.

As I understand it my one charcoal biscuit in the morning is equivalent to the three antacids my daughter has to take for her bagels and brioche breakfast. Charcoal absorbs many nasty things it seems (which is why it is used in stomach pumps in A&E I believe) GAC filters make the water supply more drinkable too. My toast is actually a DIY GAC filter.

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Another benefit might be that charcoal also helps neutralise pongy bottom burps (or at least thats why I give my dogs charcoal biscuits).

Reactions: Oldvatr

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, the toasting operation is a cyclic one leading to inedible (for many) but flavorsome (for me) charcoal biscuits. It needs several repeats simply because I can't be bothered to alter the setting on the toaster then listen to my daughter going on and on about how it takes her a week to get the right colour shade that matches her lipstick this week.

As I understand it my one charcoal biscuit in the morning is equivalent to the three antacids my daughter has to take for her bagels and brioche breakfast. Charcoal absorbs many nasty things it seems (which is why it is used in stomach pumps in A&E I believe) GAC filters make the water supply more drinkable too. My toast is actually a DIY GAC filter.
That may well be the case but it wasn't you I replied to it was @Tophat1900 .

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That may well be the case but it wasn't you I replied to it was @Tophat1900 .
That mat well be true as a technicality. I was answering yours. I believe that biscuit means cooked twice, and they are not inedible (unless it is me doing the making)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed. The same applies to Rice, but reheating cooked rice comes with additional problems regarding bacterial growth so use with care. Freeze cooked rice immediately after cooking by cooling in running cold water then straight into the freezer. When re heating, do not leave around at room temp for it to defrost before heating. Ensure it is piping hot when serving.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I suspect that this principle will apply to root vegetables, and also to fruits and any farinaceous product (eclairs per ex) Certainly the strudel logs I get sometimes that are frozen also seem to benefit from this and although they spike me, it is not as much as the carb content on the package would suggest.
Also works with pasta.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

If it were me, I'd make the toast, freeze it, get it out, reheat in the microwave, then you could put it back in the freezer. Then re-heat via microwave oven and re-freeze it if so desired and repeat if desired. What the OP is doing is on a whole another level.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it were me, I'd make the toast, freeze it, get it out, reheat in the microwave, then you could put it back in the freezer. Then re-heat via microwave oven and re-freeze it if so desired and repeat if desired.
Why? I keep my bread in the freezer and take a slice out when I want it either for a sandwich, breadcrumbs or toast. I do not see the point of taking it out just to return it to the freezer.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Why? I keep my bread in the freezer and take a slice out when I want it either for a sandwich, breadcrumbs or toast. I do not see the point of taking it out just to return it to the freezer.

Same practice as for potatoes, or pasta or rice, take it out once you have turned it into toast, reheat in microwave and re-freeze IF you so desire. For the same purpose of reducing the glycemic value.