Breakfast

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Unhealthy girl , and welcome to the forum!

Cereals usually spike our blood glucose. You could think about eating something else for breakfast? Many of us eat non flavoured full fat Greek yoghurt with some nuts or berries for breakfast, others choose bacon and eggs. Do you like things like this?

You might like to read this informative piece we like to offer new members:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Wish you all the best, and come back with any question you have!

Reactions: MargaretR

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What breakfast cereals can l eat with pre- diabetes
Hello @Unhealthy girl ,

Well, cereal's basically out, if you want to avoid the pre becoming full blown diabetes... Sorry. There's lots of carbs in all cereals, and carbs turn to glucose once ingested. So it's not just the sugar you want to watch out for. But Antje made some good suggestions. Bacon and eggs, (which happened to be my breakfast/lunch this morning), full fat greek yoghurt with berries and nuts in. Maybe some coconut shavings as well, or even extra dark chocolate drops? Some days I have an omelet with salmon, and I had so much scrambled eggs with tuna I can't even look at a tuna can any more, so I should've taken it a bit easier with that. ;) You could make egg keto muffins, toss in whatever you like (pepperoni, blueberries, extra dark chocolate chips, bacon bits, cinnamon and erythritol sweetener?).... Or you could have yesterday's leftovers. No-one says you have to eat "designated" breakfast food. I actually had bio beef burgers for brekkie the other day. Yum. :)

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this might help a little too.

Good luck!
Jo

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Unhealthy girl ,

Well, cereal's basically out, if you want to avoid the pre becoming full blown diabetes... Sorry. There's lots of carbs in all cereals, and carbs turn to glucose once ingested. So it's not just the sugar you want to watch out for. But Antje made some good suggestions. Bacon and eggs, (which happened to be my breakfast/lunch this morning), full fat greek yoghurt with berries and nuts in. Maybe some coconut shavings as well, or even extra dark chocolate drops? Some days I have an omelet with salmon, and I had so much scrambled eggs with tuna I can't even look at a tuna can any more, so I should've taken it a bit easier with that. ;) You could make egg keto muffins, toss in whatever you like (pepperoni, blueberries, extra dark chocolate chips, bacon bits, cinnamon and erythritol sweetener?).... Or you could have yesterday's leftovers. No-one says you have to eat "designated" breakfast food. I actually had bio beef burgers for brekkie the other day. Yum. :)

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this might help a little too.

Good luck!
Jo
What is the recipe for egg keto muffins please?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have shredded wheat every day and it does not touch my bloods.

The more whole wheat it is and the less sugar present the better. However total carbs do need to be considered - one reason i like shreadded wheat is that its always the same portion - i find self control and issue if im pouring our say shreddies or conrlakes into a bowl.

The best thing to do is get a home blood glucose meter and test a few hours after eating your meals. Then you can plan what you can and cannot eat.

I find porridge is also fine, but traditional rolled oats are better then ready brek for me. I can get away with a small squeeze on honey.

Pugfugly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost 3stone with Slimming World. The thing is a diabetic diet is at odds with a Slimming World diet.
I am confused as to why we are supposed to have full fat milk, yogurts etc. on a diabetic diet? Is it because carbs are severely limited? I don’t understand the connection. I understand that carbs are what drives our blood glucose up.
I eat Weetabix, blueberries and skimmed milk for breakfast. This is not what I’m supposed to have. If I have fruit and yogurt for breakfast my blood sugars drop to 4 or under and I get the shakes by 12.30 lunchtime. Where am I going wrong?

Reactions: stamullen

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anything you fancy google it just put keto first. You can make your own granola. I can't stand soy or almond milk,so I used to make granola bars.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost 3stone with Slimming World. The thing is a diabetic diet is at odds with a Slimming World diet.
I am confused as to why we are supposed to have full fat milk, yogurts etc. on a diabetic diet? Is it because carbs are severely limited? I don’t understand the connection. I understand that carbs are what drives our blood glucose up.
I eat Weetabix, blueberries and skimmed milk for breakfast. This is not what I’m supposed to have. If I have fruit and yogurt for breakfast my blood sugars drop to 4 or under and I get the shakes by 12.30 lunchtime. Where am I going wrong?
The medication you are taking will be driving down your blood sugars .. low carbing means the medication becomes unnecessary over time (sometimes quite quickly) . If you wish to low carb then speak to your HCP about reducing the medication you are on.

Pugfugly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m still unsure why we have to have full fat milk etc. So we shouldn’t have bread at all? No carbs but lots of fat?
I guess that’s why I still have aHbA1c of 50mmol when it should be between 20.00- 41.00.
I will investigate the Ketogenic diet and keep my fingers crossed I don’t gain weight back. Still unclear why I shouldn’t have the milk (skimmed) that I like or the Fat Free Greek yogurt. I cant put the two diets together as that won’t work.
Why is my Surgery sending people (free) to Slimming World or WW if we shouldn’t be on these diets?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am confused as to why we are supposed to have full fat milk, yogurts etc. on a diabetic diet?
Because we need food to live. When you restrict one food group (carbs) you need to up other food groups or you'll be starving yourself.
It's not about eating lots of fat but about getting enough food.

Reactions: Pugfugly

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m still unsure why we have to have full fat milk etc. So we shouldn’t have bread at all? No carbs but lots of fat?
I guess that’s why I still have aHbA1c of 50mmol when it should be between 20.00- 41.00.
I will investigate the Ketogenic diet and keep my fingers crossed I don’t gain weight back. Still unclear why I shouldn’t have the milk (skimmed) that I like or the Fat Free Greek yogurt. I cant put the two diets together as that won’t work.
Why is my Surgery sending people (free) to Slimming World or WW if we shouldn’t be on these diets?
Outdated thinking.

Traffer

Turns out the recommendations to reduce fat intake were wrong. They do not lead to cardiovascular disease. Carbs consumed raise blood glucose, which raises insulin, which leads to storing unused energy as fat. Eating fat does not follow the same process, so fat in does not lead directly to fat on your body. Our body needs good fats to produce hormones among other things, and helps satisfy hunger, which leads to eating less. But when the recommendation was to go fat free, the food industry responded with low-fat choices. Losing the fat in foods led to bad tasting foods, so fat is replaced with food starch and fructose/high fructose corn syrup. So that low fat choice is going to increase your blood sugar. Glucose in blood leads to insulin release and weight gain, with too much weight gain, insulin resistance.

The science seems still divided on full fat dairy products; high insulin release, yet longer term reductions in body fat. But not on low fat choices, with the added starch/sugar, it leads to weight gain and possible insulin resistance, so AVOID. After watching my mother for years on WW, I'd avoid them too. Watching her struggle to reduce calories, when all calories are not equal, it dominated her life. When all she really needed to do was cut the carbs, eat more real protein and take a walk. On Keto, by the way, you're getting your blood glucose levels low enough, that your body switches from burning glucose to burning fat. And hopefully get the fat out of your liver/pancreas and get your adipose cells (fat) to start storing energy normally and reverse Type II insulin resistance.

Having said all that, I'm still not there. My latest blood test results come out tomorrow and I'm hoping the doctor agrees/the numbers show, it's more dangerous to stay on meds with little carb intake than any benefit they may be providing. Here's hoping!

Reactions: MrsA2

Pugfugly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Turns out the recommendations to reduce fat intake were wrong. They do not lead to cardiovascular disease. Carbs consumed raise blood glucose, which raises insulin, which leads to storing unused energy as fat. Eating fat does not follow the same process, so fat in does not lead directly to fat on your body. Our body needs good fats to produce hormones among other things, and helps satisfy hunger, which leads to eating less. But when the recommendation was to go fat free, the food industry responded with low-fat choices. Losing the fat in foods led to bad tasting foods, so fat is replaced with food starch and fructose/high fructose corn syrup. So that low fat choice is going to increase your blood sugar. Glucose in blood leads to insulin release and weight gain, with too much weight gain, insulin resistance.

The science seems still divided on full fat dairy products; high insulin release, yet longer term reductions in body fat. But not on low fat choices, with the added starch/sugar, it leads to weight gain and possible insulin resistance, so AVOID. After watching my mother for years on WW, I'd avoid them too. Watching her struggle to reduce calories, when all calories are not equal, it dominated her life. When all she really needed to do was cut the carbs, eat more real protein and take a walk. On Keto, by the way, you're getting your blood glucose levels low enough, that your body switches from burning glucose to burning fat. And hopefully get the fat out of your liver/pancreas and get your adipose cells (fat) to start storing energy normally and reverse Type II insulin resistance.

Having said all that, I'm still not there. My latest blood test results come out tomorrow and I'm hoping the doctor agrees/the numbers show, it's more dangerous to stay on meds with little carb intake than any benefit they may be providing. Here's hoping![/QUOTE

Thank you for that very informative answer. I cook from scratch in order to avoid the ‘low fat’ pre packaged rubbish. I’m not sure I could tolerate full fat or even semi-skimmed milk or full fat yogurts either. I only have the Greek Fat Free yogurt. I will try to change. I’ve just bought the Michael Mosley’s book the fast 800.

Reactions: Traffer

Dominy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Because fat (in moderation) is not the enemy. Sugar is. Way back when low fat foods were first introduced, they were loaded with sugar and salt to make them palatable. People got so hung up on the notion of any fat being bad for you, that we overlooked the sugar content. There are some really good sugar vs fat documentaries online. Also interesting that people in the 60s and 70's ate far more fat than we do now, but nowhere near as much sugar (because its in EVERYTHING) and yet there were far fewer obese people or people with diabetics. Our love of sugar and carbohydrates is to blame for this - masses of energy but little nutritional density.

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
Also interesting that people in the 60s and 70's ate far more fat than we do now
Excellent point - I remember when I was a child I hated the fat on meat (I am still pretty fussy about it), so used to cut it all off and my grandmother was very critical of that. She said I should be eating it all because it's good for me. My grandmother lived until she was 92, with pretty good mobility and, other than some arthritis, no serious health issues until right at the end, so maybe she had a point...

Dominy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Excellent point - I remember when I was a child I hated the fat on meat (I am still pretty fussy about it), so used to cut it all off and my grandmother was very critical of that. She said I should be eating it all because it's good for me. My grandmother lived until she was 92, with pretty good mobility and, other than some arthritis, no serious health issues until right at the end, so maybe she had a point...
Its a huuuge "diet" industry lie. We are designed to consume a moderate amount of fat, and natural sugars that are in fruits etc. Not all this super refined stuff that seems to be in everything we consume, one way or another!

Rocinante

Its a huuuge "diet" industry lie. We are designed to consume a moderate amount of fat, and natural sugars that are in fruits etc. Not all this super refined stuff that seems to be in everything we consume, one way or another!

Personally, I'd say that the often enormous amounts of sugar in fruit is pretty bad for you if you have a tendancy towards sub-optimal blood sugar control.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My husband will cut even the smallest bit of fat off meat ,but when I separate the fat from the meat juices from a joint ( I put it in the freezer for a while ) He will put this on his toast ! Also if I make crackling with the skin I have a job to get any !:arghh: But these are obviously not FAT
Carol

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband will cut even the smallest bit of fat off meat ,but when I separate the fat from the meat juices from a joint ( I put it in the freezer for a while ) He will put this on his toast ! Also if I make crackling with the skin I have a job to get any !:arghh: But these are obviously not FAT
Carol
I’ve just pork with crackling for lunch!!