Any new evidence on how cholesterol enters arteries?

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was browsing the interweb and discovered this weighty pile of research and theory,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK343489/

and thought, wow, retention theory sounds possible! But then I had a good look at this,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK343489/bin/lipid_athero-Image001.jpg

And realised they had not addressed the ongoing problem of how cholesterol gets into the artery, only what happens after it gets in. If you look at the picture closely on the left hand side there is a yellow arrow that shows cholesterol magically traveling across healthy epithelial cell layer. So NO, Retention Theory has not resolved anything! Oh well

Does anyone have any evidence to show how cholesterol may cross the epithelial layer? I'm trying to be opened minded and this is critical to my mental wellbeing as I live in a town awash with statin therapy and at times I question the science.

Thanks

Paul

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... they had not addressed the ongoing problem of how cholesterol gets into the artery ... Does anyone have any evidence to show how cholesterol may cross the epithelial layer?
Not sure that I understand your question. Cholesterol is made in the liver and transported through the blood stream to wherever it is needed. When inflamed artery cells require cholesterol, access is provided through receptors.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the links will look at them.

Mark. Blood clot theory is that cholesterol cannot pass through healthy epithelium. If you look at image 1 of the report I linked to it shows cholesterol passing through healthy epithelium. All the other stuff in the image is occuring at the inflamed region. I was wondering if there is any new research to explain how this happens, especially now as Dr Kendrick says there is evidence that cholesterol cannot pass through the blood brain barrier.

Thanks
Paul.

Reactions: Tophat1900

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Thanks for the links will look at them.

......... especially now as Dr Kendrick says there is evidence that cholesterol cannot pass through the blood brain barrier.

Thanks
Paul.

I'm not sure about this because although we know that the brain produces cholesterol independently (it is required in order to function), I can't see why nature would force the brain to produce all the cholesterol it needs for itself.

The thing that scare me is that there is evidence (even claims by manufacturers) that certain Statins (including Simvastatin and Atorvastatin = Lipitor) do cross the blood/brain barrier. Which may explain the 'brain fog' that some statin users complain of.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Paul
Diabetics in Aus had every opportunity to address the problem of doctors rejecting lchf and pushing statins at the relevant Senate Inquiries. Did you make submissions?
If so you would be one of a very small number. Cheers. Nick