Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Hi
I’ve got a horrible cold so I bought some day nurse night nurse capsules took 2 about half hour ago and my bg is up to 7.4 . It’s was 4.7 goin to bed last night . Didn’t realise they would do that . So has anyone got any alternatives for cold /flu remedies . It would be really appreciated because this thing is drivin me mad

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Being sick can play havoc with blood sugars too. I tend to just go for lemsip and accept while sick I’ll get wonky readings, not that I tend to measure while sick

maybe I have the wrong approach though

Reactions: Glennis67

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Being sick can play havoc with blood sugars too. I tend to just go for lemsip and accept while sick I’ll get wonky readings, not that I tend to measure while sick

maybe I have the wrong approach though
Thanks for the reply bud . Yeah I’ll just have to ride it out hate it, feel like I’m dying

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I agree with Andydragon. My levels are going to be higher anyway due to the infection/illness so my meter stays in its case and I'll take any medicine that works.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't touch the Day Nurse capsules, because they are stuffed full of caffeine, which always messes things up for me (esp my blood pressure).

However, the Night Nurse capsules don't have the added caffeine, and I find them excellent for getting a good night's sleep when under the weather with a virus.

Personally, I don't touch the Lemsip type things with a barge pole. They usually have lots of sugar in them, and are basically just paracetamol (I think, though it is years since I went near them) and some have extra caffeine. So I figure if I want paracetamol I can take a tablet, and/or have a cup of coffee, without all the other stuff they add.
https://theecologist.org/2007/feb/01/behind-label-lemsip-max-cold-flu-capsules
If you want to find out whether any remedy is OK for diabetics, then the pharmacist can tell you, or is should be written in the leaflet inside the box, or can be found on the manufacturers website.

My main cold remedy is a good chicken soup, which I think is so much better for me, on many levels. :D and sambucol (black elderflower) which has been shown in (at least one study) to have reduced the duration of cold viruses. I also take vitamin C and zinc at the first sign of a cold starting, and keep that up throughout.
Oh, and this year, there is plenty of evidence around that having enough Vitamin D3 is helping with the prevention/reduction of covid symptoms (references available, if you want), so if it helps with Covid, I am thinking that a mere cold virus is going to be a walkover for it. ;)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't touch the Day Nurse capsules, because they are stuffed full of caffeine, which always messes things up for me (esp my blood pressure).

However, the Night Nurse capsules don't have the added caffeine, and I find them excellent for getting a good night's sleep when under the weather with a virus.

Personally, I don't touch the Lemsip type things with a barge pole. They usually have lots of sugar in them, and are basically just paracetamol (I think, though it is years since I went near them) and some have extra caffeine. So I figure if I want paracetamol I can take a tablet, and/or have a cup of coffee, without all the other stuff they add.
https://theecologist.org/2007/feb/01/behind-label-lemsip-max-cold-flu-capsules
If you want to find out whether any remedy is OK for diabetics, then the pharmacist can tell you, or is should be written in the leaflet inside the box, or can be found on the manufacturers website.

My main cold remedy is a good chicken soup, which I think is so much better for me, on many levels. :D and sambucol (black elderflower) which has been shown in (at least one study) to have reduced the duration of cold viruses. I also take vitamin C and zinc at the first sign of a cold starting, and keep that up throughout.
Oh, and this year, there is plenty of evidence around that having enough Vitamin D3 is helping with the prevention/reduction of covid symptoms (references available, if you want), so if it helps with Covid, I am thinking that a mere cold virus is going to be a walkover for it. ;)
Talking to the pharmacist is good and I understand the worry about sugar in lemsip. I also know that it is pretty much the same as paracetamol and maybe caffeine so it’s probably placebo effect but I find it makes me feel better

When I’m sick I don’t really worry about the quantity of sugar in treatments. Probably wrong approach but I just assume the levels are going to be small

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the caffeine in Day Nurse (or similar) is an issue, many do versions without it. I know we have sought those out for my OH.

OH with ManFlu + wide awake in the night, feeling rough + me blissfully slumbering, peacefully beside him, all night, does not equal entente cordiale.

Just sayin'

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the caffeine in Day Nurse (or similar) is an issue, many do versions without it. I know we have sought those out for my OH.

OH with ManFlu + wide awake in the night, feeling rough + me blissfully slumbering, peacefully beside him, all night, does not equal entente cordiale.

Just sayin'

In those circs, I am actually surprised you got to wake up at all.

There have been occasions when Mr B was snoring through my last deathbed moments (all ****** night) that I have contemplated rising from said deathbed to fetch an axe.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In those circs, I am actually surprised you got to wake up at all.

There have been occasions when Mr B was snoring through my last deathbed moments (all ****** night) that I have contemplated rising from said deathbed to fetch an axe.

There were hints to that effect at the time.

I felt the lady in Boots was my life saver as we rummaged through the various options available. :)

Reactions: Brunneria

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a note the main thing in Lemsip is phenylephrine hydrochloride outside of the paracetamol. I tend to take it if i have a heavy head cold.

It does really help me as its primarily a decongestant and helps reduce the pressure and swelling in the back of the nose and sinus.

I only bother if its "that" type of cold though - if its a classic running nose affair without all the pressure i dont bother.

As a note - you can just buy phenylephrine hydrochloride tablets on their own without all the sugar and paracetamol. Often sold as decongestant tablets.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a note - you can just buy phenylephrine hydrochloride tablets on their own without all the sugar and paracetamol. Often sold as decongestant tablets.

Phenylephrine and pseudoephidrine are decongestants often found in cold remedies such as Lemsip, decongestants are known to raise blood sugars, so aside from any sugar content I avoid them any way. I started taking a daily dose of vitamin C and zinc a long time ago, and since doing that I rarely get a cold.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phenylephrine and pseudoephidrine are decongestants often found in cold remedies such as Lemsip, decongestants are known to raise blood sugars, so aside from any sugar content I avoid them any way. I started taking a daily dose of vitamin C and zinc a long time ago, and since doing that I rarely get a cold.
Yea it's one of those as with anything, try and test. They don't touch mine and if I'm in pain with a head that feels like it's going to explode I'm reaching for them heh. As with anything it's all choices choices.