What are people thinking about a second lockdown?

Are you worried about a second lockdown?

• Yes

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 9 13.8%

• Total voters

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is not necessarily true early on, so the likelihood of false negatives and positives aren't the same depending on where you in the infection timeline and there will be individual differences.
We are 6 months in..and the tests have almost been designed to give a positive reading.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Back to the question.
Yes I am worried about my family, not so much myself, but my wife, father in law are both in the high at risk group and both have COPD! My eldest son family is isolating because my eldest grandson had a positive test! His symptoms have now eased and the others are not showing symptoms and have been tested negative. Both of the parents are front line workers. Our local lockdown is happening on Tuesday, because within two weeks our local hospital has gone from no patients in its covid wards, to forty and rising.
My daughter in law works in a care home and has yet had a fatality because they went into lockdown in January. They went through the rigmarole of getting a positive test. Then because of disbelief that they got a positive, they tested again and it was negative, this week, the same person tested negative again!
My daughter works in a school, my son is in a job which is steel imports off ships, he has to organise the transport and oversees the transfer. He has to ensure protocols to stop the crew and transport drivers infecting each other. Grandson is working from home but has been told to go into work, he is in I.T in a school. The rest of my grandchildren have just returned to school, two have picked up colds and many children have been sent home.
This virus has already caused my unemployment, my severe anxiety disorder and depression of which I am currently receiving counselling, I am now on anti-depression drug, which is helping, but it has been a total shock and my life has been dealt a cruel blow. I have my family, but my job was something special and it will take a long time to get over it all.
I'm so worried about this winter, I'm hoping this second wave isn't as bad as the first.

Usually, some of my rants have a political leaning and criticism of how the political elite perform.
I don't need to, they are very good at saying the last few months have been a success!

Stay safe

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbicheno and JRT

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I see people walking around not wearing masks and on the bus I was the recipient of some very rude language for talking about why we should we be wearing masks. I'm really worried about what could happen this winter. What has been your experience?

I ensured staying six feet away from someone in a Tesco pharmacy queue because he wasn't wearing a mask (his 3 kids were) and I got some grief from him when I explained to people 'pushing in' why I was 6 feet back. I'm not convinced that someone being exempt for whatever legitimate reason makes it OK. Covid doesn't take that into account and it is still a threat to my health. Same thing happened in the butchers yesterday when I refused to enter the shop which is sensibly only allowing 2 customers at a time, because the other customer, a young man, wasn't wearing a mask. "It's OK, I'm exempt from wearing a mask" is beyond comprehension. It is not OK.

I'm still just going out just to get meat from the butcher, a weekly shop and a visit to a pharmacy.

One other thing I'm doing is returning to my volunteering at the MS centre to administer oxygen therapy to people with MS. I thought long and hard about it and decided that as a lot of our clients are almost self isolating because of their compromised immune systems, the PPE gear we have is good (apart from the aprons), we all have temperature checks and have to answer several questions before entering the building. Also, if there is a problem it will shut immediately.

I did try to start playing golf again but found that although the club itself have made many changes to make things safer, the golfers are mainly idiots and I'm afraid to say mostly men, the ladies show a completely different attitude.

Like everyone else there are things that I miss but I'm confident that there will be a vaccine before 2021 and that if more people did as they were told instead of whinging we'd be getting back to normal much more quickly. Taiwan is a country with about half the UK's population and one seventh of the UK's land area. Their story is re-assuring, so is New Zealand's although their recent infections are disappointing.

caffree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It all seems disjointed and I think mixed messages from Government havent helped. Not quite sure what position we will be in in a few months time but it's hard to be optimistic. I'm just trying to stay healthy and ensure have supply of basics. I'm taking a vitamin D supplement. Dont know how helpful it will be but nails have never been in such good condition!

caffree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on Vitamin D too, Sugarphobe. There seems a fair bit of evidence in favour of it. Incidentally the doctor calling himself 'M.D' in Private Eye gives a lot of sensible information.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat and JRT

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a second lockdown will kill more people than it saves. I know of people who work on care homes who are losing patients not from COVID but from despair of being alone without human contact. They are basically wasting away if not actually having suicidal thoughts

I am seeing routine appointments being stopped and preventable conditions killing people

the economy is being destroyed. Our liberties are being removed and people who would follow the law are asking why we should when Cummins didn’t and had no repurcussions

Sweden doesn’t seem to be doing so badly in comparison

Jamie H

I think a second lockdown will kill more people than it saves. I know of people who work on care homes who are losing patients not from COVID but from despair of being alone without human contact. They are basically wasting away if not actually having suicidal thoughts

I am seeing routine appointments being stopped and preventable conditions killing people

the economy is being destroyed. Our liberties are being removed and people who would follow the law are asking why we should when Cummins didn’t and had no repurcussions

Sweden doesn’t seem to be doing so badly in comparison
My uncle went into a home for dimentia in November and was just about coping before all of this. Went to visit him through the window yesterday and he cried for half an hour. Absolutely broke my heart... The loneliness is killing home more quickly than dimentia at the minute

Tannith

BANNED
I think a second lockdown is inevitable as we have no vaccine and test and trace isn't really working as people refuse to self isolate when positive. The selfish rats who are too young to suffer much from the disease themselves and the covid and mask deniers are all out there spreading it as fast as they can. They are "all right Jack" because they think that their healthy diets or whatever protect them from serious disease. They argue that deaths are down. Well they are so far, but that can't last once the stupid snowflakes have spread it to their parents, grandparents and the vulnerable. It's the callous covid deniers we shall have to thank when our grandparents and vulnerable relatives start dying and our parents & friends are crippled by long haul covid.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I stopped listening to the government ages ago..
I do however turn to experts in the field of viral control. (Guys with years of experience.)
Lessons from historical pandemics too. Work wise for me? Outdoors.

However there are plenty of opportunities working as part of a team "hand-balling" produce out of a shipping container, maybe wiping down surfaces peridically in a public toilet block at a classic car rally that pulls crowds from all over..??!
They also seem to be crying out for people in food processing factories too.. (Odd that.)

I recently have been studying the mindset of the "flat earth society." (Just to get a balanced perspective.)
They have been doing some "groundbreaking" experiments since the 1830s? Using boats on a 6 mile stretch off canal..
More recently, taking a builder's spirit level on an air craft & monitoring the bubble mid flight. "If the world is round? (The bubble will offset with a bias to the rear of the aircraft.) The plane should fly nose down as it follows the curvature of a globe.."
It all depends on the perspective. When you are looking out of a "round window," you believe what NASA & Brian Cox says..

Assuming I maybe carrying the viral load. I take sensible precautions regarding my routine.
I assume anyone in a shop not wearing a mask or allowing thier kids to run about freely without a mask & litteraly getting under my feet. To also be clear of any infection? o_O

I don't live in a "lockdown" area (as of yet.) but I was offered a gig at a pub I believe to currently be in a clesified LD area. I dare say we'd need to stop the music by 22.00. To avoid any spread of the dread.. o_Oo_O

A simple test in the absense of testing, (or even questionable testing.)
I tell the other person I have COVID. If they stay? I get outta there... ;)

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a young man, wasn't wearing a mask. "It's OK, I'm exempt from wearing a mask" is beyond comprehension. It is not OK.
Yes, the idea that those who are exempt from mask wearing somehow can't carry covid-19. If anything, it means others have to social distance the whole 6 feet. As we did before masks. Its stupid the way people are not understanding transmission after six months of this.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And a very interesting re-assessment of numbers in Ireland. Where allegedly the false positive rate is believed to be between 1% and 3 % from the chairman of their equivalent of SAGE. They also appear to run fewer PCR cycles than the UK 35-45 whereas so far as I know all the NHS runs are 45 times.

https://twitter.com/kilkelly/status/1307052803957960704

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a second lockdown is inevitable as we have no vaccine and test and trace isn't really working as people refuse to self isolate when positive. The selfish rats who are too young to suffer much from the disease themselves and the covid and mask deniers are all out there spreading it as fast as they can. They are "all right Jack" because they think that their healthy diets or whatever protect them from serious disease. They argue that deaths are down. Well they are so far, but that can't last once the stupid snowflakes have spread it to their parents, grandparents and the vulnerable. It's the callous covid deniers we shall have to thank when our grandparents and vulnerable relatives start dying and our parents & friends are crippled by long haul covid.
Bit of a generalisation there - how do you know that people do not self isolate when positive? Not all youngsters are ‘selfish rats’. My nephew is 28 and gets stressed, almost to the point paranoia, about going out just in case he infects other people even though he hasn’t got, or ever had, Covid. He works from home, doesn’t go out and, because of this, is extremely stressed. I’m sure he in not the only young person in this situation.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bit of a generalisation there - how do you know that people do not self isolate when positive? Not all youngsters are ‘selfish rats’. My nephew is 28 and gets stressed, almost to the point paranoia, about going out just in case he infects other people even though he hasn’t got, or ever had, Covid. He works from home, doesn’t go out and, because of this, is extremely stressed. I’m sure he in not the only young person in this situation.
Thank you for sticking up for the selfish rats. I have 3 of them and am much more libertarian than they are in my attitude to all of this. In fact they were a bit anxious about me because I am type 1 until I pointed out that my chances are great and they should get on with their lives. Less moral outrage and more pragmatism based on science would be helpful here.

Reactions: Daphne917

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its stupid the way people are not understanding transmission after six months of this.

You could equally say that in areas of extremely low "true" infection rates it's crazy to mandate mask wearing in shops instead of making it optional.

Also of course there have been, so far as I know, minimal cases of anyone catching it in a shop..even shop staff didn't drop like flies pre 24th July which is kind of odd if you really think mask wearing is effective don't you think?

Quite possibly the mandatory nature makes people less inclined to "think of the others" .
The law of unintended consequences at play maybe?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Back to the question.
Yes I am worried about my family, not so much myself, but my wife, father in law are both in the high at risk group and both have COPD! My eldest son family is isolating because my eldest grandson had a positive test! His symptoms have now eased and the others are not showing symptoms and have been tested negative. Both of the parents are front line workers. Our local lockdown is happening on Tuesday, because within two weeks our local hospital has gone from no patients in its covid wards, to forty and rising.
My daughter in law works in a care home and has yet had a fatality because they went into lockdown in January. They went through the rigmarole of getting a positive test. Then because of disbelief that they got a positive, they tested again and it was negative, this week, the same person tested negative again!
My daughter works in a school, my son is in a job which is steel imports off ships, he has to organise the transport and oversees the transfer. He has to ensure protocols to stop the crew and transport drivers infecting each other. Grandson is working from home but has been told to go into work, he is in I.T in a school. The rest of my grandchildren have just returned to school, two have picked up colds and many children have been sent home.
This virus has already caused my unemployment, my severe anxiety disorder and depression of which I am currently receiving counselling, I am now on anti-depression drug, which is helping, but it has been a total shock and my life has been dealt a cruel blow. I have my family, but my job was something special and it will take a long time to get over it all.
I'm so worried about this winter, I'm hoping this second wave isn't as bad as the first.

Usually, some of my rants have a political leaning and criticism of how the political elite perform.
I don't need to, they are very good at saying the last few months have been a success!

Stay safe
I prefer to say Stay Sane because I think the psychological impact of this has been under reported.
The link takes you to the NHS data on who is occupying the 110,000 beds being used as I was alarmed by the 40 Covid cases you quoted for your local area. There were 468 patients in hospital beds with Covid (London, Birmingham, North West have more than other areas) although we don't know if that is the only reason for their admittance. So that is 0.4% of the beds.
Also in week 37 we still have no excess mortality yet we might expect to see that if we allow a 3 week lag for a true infection to set in following the 'case' rise.
I suspect whatever measures are taken the government will congratulate themselves but then I really don't see the opposition or even parliament in general standing up to challenge this much.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Reactions: Lamont D