6 month into T2

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hy everyone. Firstly thankyou for the help upon first diagnosis. Was 121 then down to 75 in June. They were happy with progress but wanted me to start statins as cholesterol was high. 5.4 and 2.0 trig. I refused and said I intended to remedy through diet. Had my 2nd bloods taken yesterday and already received back the urea and electrolyte serum lipid levels. 5.2 and trig 2.0. Doesn't have the ldl and hdl levels but last time they came with the H1ac results. I will post those levels when i get them. The other levels all within range and summarised as satisfactory and no further action which i reckon is good as last time i was told to ring them upon result. They mentioned last time they wanted my overall level near 4 as T2 but not sure this is achievable? What is actually a "safe" number and do i still refuse statins if pushed?

Last edited:

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just looking back the ldl was 0.9 and hdl 3.4. Will see what new ones come back at.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Cragmartin, Your Cholesterol figures overall were good last time. The Triglycerides figure looked at alone isn't great but when compared with a a fantastic HDL of 3.4 and a great LDL of 0.9 Statins should never have been a consideration.

You seem to be doing great, well done!

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cragmartin, Your Cholesterol figures overall were good last time. The Triglycerides figure looked at alone isn't great but when compared with a a fantastic HDL of 3.4 and a great LDL of 0.9 Statins should never have been a consideration.

You seem to be doing great, well done!

Thankyou. It will be interesting to see the new numbers in breakdown and ratio etc.
Really hoping for a good H1 result.
One thing that I've never seen before was the Qrisk number? Just googled it and was not aware this was done. 10.68% .Says under 20% medium risk? New one on me but only recently accessed the NHS app.

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just received the HbA1c. It is 53. So gone from 121 to 53 in 6 month. I'm pretty pleased with that after the 75 at 3 month reading. Was really aiming to dip under 50 but all considered it's good news..

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My meter readings suggested i would have been less but still getting bigger numbers first thing in mornings so the average will still be skewed by that i think?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
One thing I did was buy a single libre sensor, it gives a 24/7 x 14 day snapshot of BG levels. Tremendously helpful for me learning about how my body reacts to certain conditions, I.e foods , stress, exercise... it’s a bit pricey, but less painful than poking 100s of times and it’s hard to poke when you’re sleeping

Reactions: rosemaree

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my 1st flu jab 1830 tonight. They also gave me a one off Pneumonia jab? Touchwood no issues so far. Was a little apprehensive but with things as they are and in a high risk job it seemed sensible to take them.

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
Had my 1st flu jab 1830 tonight. They also gave me a one off Pneumonia jab? Touchwood no issues so far. Was a little apprehensive but with things as they are and in a high risk job it seemed sensible to take them.
I had my flu jab tonight too and, so far, my shoulder/arm is perfectly fine. But, last week, I had the pneumonia jab and I was in a considerable amount of pain for about 4 or 5 days - I could barely lift my arm, it hurt to pick anything up or lay on it. Flipping nightmare. Fingers crossed you don't have any problems following on from your jabs :nailbiting:

Craigmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my flu jab tonight too and, so far, my shoulder/arm is perfectly fine. But, last week, I had the pneumonia jab and I was in a considerable amount of pain for about 4 or 5 days - I could barely lift my arm, it hurt to pick anything up or lay on it. Flipping nightmare. Fingers crossed you don't have any problems following on from your jabs :nailbiting:

Cheers. Yes i was only expecting one.Had heard all the stories of adverse reactions and with it being first time was little nervous. Probably good i didn't have time to worry about the 2nd jab?

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
Cheers. Yes i was only expecting one.Had heard all the stories of adverse reactions and with it being first time was little nervous. Probably good i didn't have time to worry about the 2nd jab?
I hadn't even heard of a pneumonia vaccine until last week and didn't know I was having it before the nurse came at me with a needle (slight exaggeration lol) - I was in for my HbA1c blood test and she offered to do it while I was there, so I said yeah I guess... :rolleyes: