90% cocoa solids dark chocolate

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
Since my diagnosis in May, I've been including 70% Lindtt dark chocolate as a 'sweet treat', but I know that the higher cocoa solids are even better, so bought a 90% bar and had a square of that yesterday. I usually have 2 squares of 70%, but I couldn't do that with the 90... it was..... not pleasant and I'm not sure I want to even try it again :( Does it get more palatable if you persevere?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I have it with a spoon full of peanut butter... bliss

Reactions: lessci

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since my diagnosis in May, I've been including 70% Lindtt dark chocolate as a 'sweet treat', but I know that the higher cocoa solids are even better, so bought a 90% bar and had a square of that yesterday. I usually have 2 squares of 70%, but I couldn't do that with the 90... it was..... not pleasant and I'm not sure I want to even try it again :( Does it get more palatable if you persevere?
I hated it when i first started. Now, Lindt's recently introducing a 100%, and i can even find a sweet note in that. But for the time being, you can use the extremely dark chocolate as a basis for keto chocolate mousse (basically melted chocolate with whipped cream), or just have a gulp of cream with the square, put it in your coffee, or have a walnut with it.

Or you stick with the Lindt. Maybe the 85% is more to your taste?

Reactions: Alan51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

i have never developed ataste for it as choc.
However, it makes ACE hot chocolate with boiling water, erythritol (or sweetener of choice) and double cream, :wacky:

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
I have it with a spoon full of peanut butter... bliss
I wish I liked peanut butter, but I can't stand its clagginess (not a word, but hopefully you understand)

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
I hated it when i first started. Now, Lindt's recently introducing a 100%, and i can even find a sweet note in that. But for the time being, you can use the extremely dark chocolate as a basis for keto chocolate mousse (basically melted chocolate with whipped cream), or just have a gulp of cream with the square, put it in your coffee, or have a walnut with it.

Or you stick with the Lindt. Maybe the 85% is more to your taste?
Maybe my jump from 70 to 90 was ambitious lol - I'll get a bar of 85 and see what that's like. But, great idea re chocolate mousse!

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
However, itmakesACE hot chocolate with boiling water, erythritol (or sweetener of choice) and double cream, :wacky:
Definitely going to try this! ty :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely going to try this! ty :)

it is best made with a whisk or frother of some kind. I use an aerolatte. :D This avoids gloops of molten choc at the bottom of the cup.

and ‘clagginess’ IS a word. Just because some people haven’t necessarily encountered it yet doesn’t mean it isn’t proper - and immediately understandable - and onomatopoeic-like :D:D:D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have never developed ataste for it as choc.
However, it makes ACE hot chocolate with boiling water, erythritol (or sweetener of choice) and double cream, :wacky:
How many squares for a mug (not me lol, others might disagree!)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:( Does it get more palatable if you persevere?

It does, and if you have any sort of addiction issue (I do) you may rue the day you started. I can eat an entire bar. 70% tastes sweet. If you’re someone who can do moderation then it’s a great option.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many squares for a mug (not me lol, others might disagree!)

i would simply experiment.
The recipe quantities are going to depend entirely on your preferences, the type of choc and the size of your mug. :)

zeeeee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Hersheys 100% unsweetened cocoa powder very low carb for chocolate moose and a big bowl is planned for later

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. I am officially odd, as chocolate has never been my go-to. In fact, I have some Hotel Chocolate 85% batons I've had a very long time.

In fact, I could calculate how long I've had them, as I bought them when in Brum, meeting fiends - 3 times ago. The chummy get togethers only happen every several months, even when COVID isn't in the mix.

Anyway, about the only way I "do" chocolate is grated over a few frozen raspberries, that have already been coated in double cream. The cream has to go on first, so that is freezes, then the choc sticks to the surface too

Eaten whilst still frozen this creates a tart (raspberries, creamy (erm,..... the cream), and bitter/sweet of the chocolate shavings.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could try grating it into your Greek Yoghurt, I must admit I find 90% to "dry" as well

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe my jump from 70 to 90 was ambitious lol - I'll get a bar of 85 and see what that's like.
The 90% is too much for me, but I do like the 85% by Moser Roth (Aldi) or Lindt. You might want to try the 90% Godiva one as well, it's much smoother.

And of course you could turn them into chocolate truffles, almost halving the amount of carbs per weight... although they're much easier to eat, so you might end up eating more than twice as much! :hilarious:
Here's the recipe, just in case :D. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-2011#post-2306311. I like mixing in some chilli powder and walnuts as well, but the walnuts are tricky because it's much harder to rescue the ganache if it separates with chunks of walnut added.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Idea: is there a chocolate speciality shop near you? The bars are more expensive, but peruvian extra dark with a flowery, vanilla-ish note is to die for. In other words, there's a world of chocolate for you to discover, and people behind the counter'll be able to help find something extra special. Just be careful if they come up with choc with sweetener, (polyols) it's just an expensive way to get the runs, if you can't pace yourself in the eating.

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
it's just an expensive way to get the runs, if you can't pace yourself in the eating.
lol, I don't have a problem pacing myself with chocolate - I don't particularly have a sweet tooth. My go-to was always crisps, not chocolate sweets cake or biscuits etc. That said, I've always had chocolate in the cupboard and my mum could never understand how I could grab 4 or 5 maltesers and be satisfied with that, whereas once she's opened a packet/box/bag of anything, it was finished in one sitting!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe my jump from 70 to 90 was ambitious lol - I'll get a bar of 85 and see what that's like. But, great idea re chocolate mousse!
Worth trying the 85% as it has more difference from the 90% than the numbers would suggest.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I don't eat much choc but when I do I like either 70% Lindt or the 90% Godiva - but I don't like any other 90% choc (too harsh). I agree with @Antje77 about making truffles - I use the Delia Smith recipe (on her website) changed slightly to make it low carb.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol, I don't have a problem pacing myself with chocolate - I don't particularly have a sweet tooth. My go-to was always crisps, not chocolate sweets cake or biscuits etc. That said, I've always had chocolate in the cupboard and my mum could never understand how I could grab 4 or 5 maltesers and be satisfied with that, whereas once she's opened a packet/box/bag of anything, it was finished in one sitting!
Oh, I just mentioned it because I found out the hard way that it may not spike me, but it'll do something else... :p And you are something else, being able to walk away from a bag of Malthesers... I am in awe.