What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
we'll go hunt for a big plant to fit the surprise present of a big pot for climbing plants which was puzzlingly delivered last week :)
Couldn't choose, so I now have a chaotic jungle in a pot! I love it!

Yes, that's 8 new plants in my new fancy pot. In ten years I won't be able to find the way out of my house I'm afraid.
The picture is a bit confusing because of the grape on the outside of the window. It works very well as a sunscreen.

119201023_10221775298326016_8465619923370219370_o.jpg

Lunch was half a slice of bread with butter and cheese and a cracker with cold sausage. Overdid the insulin, so snack was an apple and two sour worms to treat the hypo. Very glad I could let my friend drive, I hate waiting to drive because of a hypo but I like being a passenger in my own car :)
Dinner was 3 devilled eggs (Don't try this with fresh eggs, especially when you have chickens who lay very small eggs. Devilled mess is more like it, but it tasted great all the same :hungry:), some pieces of different cheeses and a tomato.
Midnight snack will be pork scratchings and nuts.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I mostly use the forum on a desktop. When I hover over the emoji's you get to see what they're supposed to be :)
That's useful to know. I looked at the list of emojis when I made my first post and was completely confused by most of them. Now I know what they are. :chicken: (I've no idea why they would have a chicken emoji but I'll use it as I like chickens :happy:)

Reactions: zauberflote

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
:chicken: (I've no idea why they would have a chicken emoji but I'll use it as I like chickens :happy:)
Wow, I've been a member for years and have been talking about chickens regularly on here and I never noticed we have a chicken emoji! :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken:
Even more strange is this one: :stinkyfeet:. Why would we have an emoji for stinky feet???

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Antje77 -- Glad your molar is fixed.
@maglil55 -- Great to see your blood sugars getting closer to normal range.
@DJC3 -- The lamb on the menu looks absolutely delicious.
@Annb -- Keeping my fingers crossed that the the endoscopy will turn up nothing. Will be thinking of you Thursday.
@MrsA2 -- Congrats on the weight loss.
@Rachox -- Glad to see you are back to walking again.
@Mauriac and @pamK -- Welcome to the thread.

Didn't post yesterday and don't really remember what I had, so here are today's meals ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Three scrambled eggs with manchego cheese and the top part of spring onions. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon.

Afternoon: A failed attempt at making my own white chocolate (cocoa butter, erythritol, powdered cream) topped with salted pumpkin seeds -- turned out to be more like brittle and hard enough to break your teeth. I think the problem was the heat I used to melt the erythritol to avoid having sugar crystals in the chocolate. So, next time I'll try using a grinder turning the erythritol to powder instead. Not all is lost as it tastes great anyway, but it definitely turned out more like candy.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing, parmesan, and a few slices of lamb. Some dry red wine.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria Universal Panacea Chicken Soup? Paste? How do you make that, please? I am imagining bones in the blender....
Welcome @Mauriac !
Sure wish I could see these emojis!!! Is the chicken doing the chicken dance? (See how I replaced everybody's earworm in two words? )
It is bedtime and I have spent all day with my grandbaby on less than 4 hours sleep, and now it's bedtime!
I ate things like cheese, boiled eggs, canned tuna, avocado, spinach, hm pickles (bad me they are sweet bread'n'butter ones) and pecans.
Sleep well all, good morning before me!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77
I’m needing a bit of reassurance. Your hypo must have been awful if you resorted to sour worms as a hypo treat. Poor things. They may have been sour, but... couldn’t you have eaten something sweet, like a glucose tab. Murdering worms is a little unfriendly. And slow to impact bg too, I would imagine.

@zauberflote
The U P chicken soup is my own creation (she says, modestly) in order to save on freezer space.
Basically it is all the ingredients of a chicken soup, without the liquid, blended into a smooth paste and frozen on blobs.

from memory, I roasted a big pack of chicken thighs (for the roast chicken flavour), and sweated some onion in a pan. That is all you really need for a chook soup, isn’t it?

then I took the meat and cartilage off the thighs and blended them into a paste with herbs and seasonings, divided it into blobs (texture of raw pastry) bagged them up and froze them. Since I started with a dozen thighs, I aimed for a dozen blobs to give a hearty soup per person, for our big 500ml mugs.

then, to serve, I grab one out of the freezer, lob in a cup, add chicken stock (cube works, fresh would be better), reheat, Stir well, check the seasoning, and serve.

they only take a few mins to defrost naturally, or they can defrost in the micro as the stock heats up.

because these were intended for when/if we were ill, I looked up ‘home flu remedies’ and then added lemon, garlic, paprika, thyme and oregano to the paste. Drew the line at honey and brandy, but if it works for you... ;)

you could add cream with the stock and get ‘cream of chicken soup’ too.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All
So much going on with everyone, hard to catch up.
breakfast today was usual HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch will be using up mashed up egg mayo in fridge and salad bits.
Supper will be fish which I will buy when I pick up my farm shop order. The fish man sets up outside. I fancy lemon sole fillets with lemon butter, might chop some of my tarragon growing by the back door,

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Antje77 -- Glad your molar is fixed.
@maglil55 -- Great to see your blood sugars getting closer to normal range.
@DJC3 -- The lamb on the menu looks absolutely delicious.
@Annb -- Keeping my fingers crossed that the the endoscopy will turn up nothing. Will be thinking of you Thursday.
@MrsA2 -- Congrats on the weight loss.
@Rachox -- Glad to see you are back to walking again.
@Mauriac and @pamK -- Welcome to the thread.

Didn't post yesterday and don't really remember what I had, so here are today's meals ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Three scrambled eggs with manchego cheese and the top part of spring onions. Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and smoked salmon.

Afternoon: A failed attempt at making my own white chocolate (cocoa butter, erythritol, powdered cream) topped with salted pumpkin seeds -- turned out to be more like brittle and hard enough to break your teeth. I think the problem was the heat I used to melt the erythritol to avoid having sugar crystals in the chocolate. So, next time I'll try using a grinder turning the erythritol to powder instead. Not all is lost as it tastes great anyway, but it definitely turned out more like candy.

Dinner: Lamb's lettuce with h/m Caesar's dressing, parmesan, and a few slices of lamb. Some dry red wine.
Thank you for the welcome.

I'm very impressed you are making your own low-sugar chocolate.

Do people on here eat dark chocolate much? I've only just started on a low carb diet and haven't had any yet but previously, every day I ate 20 or 40g of at least 75% cocoa dark chocolate. In the last few weeks I've trained myself to eat no more than that (previously I would have eaten 3/4, or even the whole bar. :greedy:) I might try some soon and see how it affects my BS. (Sorry if I've wandered off topic here. :oops:)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome @Mauriac. On your dark choc question you'll find soon enough many of us are dark choc eaters - the higher the cocoa content the better! I eat mostly between 90% - 100% but I had to wean myself up to that level. Lidl do a 95% that tastes stronger than some 100%. The good thing is 2 squares are normally enough.
Bed 7.1 and FBG was also 7.1 yesterday. Eldest was having an "off" morning and No 2 had an "off" afternoon. Thankfully peace was restored this morning and my stress levels reduced!
B. TAG and I had 2 slices of LC toast with pate when I came back which did send my BGs up. Revert to 1 slice tomorrow.
L. Pack of red Leicester cheesies.
D. Boys & Hubby were on macaroni and bits (as the boys call mine) so I ended up with mini chicken escalopes coated in a curry version of my LC crumb. Had it with a small avocado, santini tomatoes and a whipped cheese I got in LIDL which was chilli & red pepper .

Been looking at this latest "rule of 6" and the different versions all over the UK. Maybe I'm oversimplictic but, does it not make more sense to ban all these illegal "raves" and the not so peaceful protests?

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Today I got my recent blood tests results for my next appointment with my Endocrinologist in a few weeks time. My HBA1C (IFCC) was 42 mmol/mol and my HBA1c is 6.0 which have dropped a bit from my last reading 6 months ago it was 44 and 6.1 and considering was on steroids and have been eating more carbs etc since covid-19.

Yesterday
Brunch cheese ham and tomato grilled on a slice of sourdough toast black coffee

Spinach rice with baked chicken thigh

Atkins nut bar

Blood orange with salt

Today Breakfast or should I say lunch as been staying in bed till after 11ish was porridge and chia seeds made with FF milk and dash of butter.

Dinner leftovers spinach and rice with baked chicken wings

Snacks today had a red apple and also ate A cupcake with icing it is what it is I am trying to not get upset with me slipping and trying to be mindful of what I do eat which yep is hard sometimes.

20200910_190720.jpg
Screenshot_20200911-202136_Instagram.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Mauriac. On your dark choc question you'll find soon enough many of us are dark choc eaters - the higher the cocoa content the better! I eat mostly between 90% - 100% but I had to wean myself up to that level. Lidl do a 95% that tastes stronger than some 100%. The good thing is 2 squares are normally enough.
Bed 7.1 and FBG was also 7.1 yesterday. Eldest was having an "off" morning and No 2 had an "off" afternoon. Thankfully peace was restored this morning and my stress levels reduced!
B. TAG and I had 2 slices of LC toast with pate when I came back which did send my BGs up. Revert to 1 slice tomorrow.
L. Pack of red Leicester cheesies.
D. Boys & Hubby were on macaroni and bits (as the boys call mine) so I ended up with mini chicken escalopes coated in a curry version of my LC crumb. Had it with a small avocado, santini tomatoes and a whipped cheese I got in LIDL which was chilli & red pepper .

Been looking at this latest "rule of 6" and the different versions all over the UK. Maybe I'm oversimplictic but, does it not make more sense to ban all these illegal "raves" and the not so peaceful protests?

I told Em that, one day next week (before my hospital appointment) we could have a proper afternoon tea, when she comes from school, and maybe invite Mum to come along. She was very enthusiastic and promptly included Dad, if it can be Wednesday - his day off. But Wednesday is the day that her big sister's 2 children visit their gran (DIL) and Shen (No 2 son), this gives the heavily pregnant big sister, a bit of a rest on one day a week. So Em decided that they could also be invited. Not sure how this fits in with the new restrictions though. They are all under 11, so they shouldn't count against the numbers allowed, but technically, that would make it 3 households. We might have to make it Tuesday instead, with no extra guests, other than DIL.

Had a late breakfast of the remaining dhal with roasted cauliflower. Not sure yet what to have later.

Spoke to the diabetes nurse and she reckons I should stop taking Metformin on Monday and not take it again until the following Monday. She wants me to phone again once I have my letter from the hospital, to discuss the instructions given and see what to recommend to the Surgical ward about insulin.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It is one of 'those' days after a dream filled and wakeful night... then, of course, I woke up late. I had to be somewhere at 9am and woke up at 9.25. For some reason I haven't figured out yet my FBG was 16.1!!!! :rolleyes::arghh::banghead:

Its 14.6 now!

We have got a 'pop up Police Station' in the village today to discuss villagers' concerns and no 1 on the list (at 9am) was a discussion about under age lads riding round on defective, uninsured, unMOT'd and untaxed motorbikes much too quickly (and without crash helmets). This was an issue that many people including me put on the consultation form so I wanted to be there for it. Luckily they hadn't started when I got there at 9.45 and I hung around for the next discussion on thieves posing as utility workers to gain access to peoples houses. I never knew that was a problem here!

Breakfast at noon was M&S Arbroath kippers.

Dinner will be Naked Glory (very nice vegetarian protein ) with salads, mayonnaise and a chaffle in place of a flat bread.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do people on here eat dark chocolate much?
Yes! I eat the 85%. Or I make dark chocolate truffles, which are about 1 gram of carbs a piece, even if you make rather large truffles :hungry:
The recipe is easy: The ratio's are:
very dark chocolate: 100
butter: 25
cream: 75
plus cocoa or crushed nuts or whatever you like to roll them in.

Warm butter and cream. Let cool for a bit but not too long. Pour over crushed chocolate. Let cool for a bit more before stirring to prevent separating. Stir. Let cool for longer until you can make little balls or cut squares. Roll in whatever you want to cover them with. Lick hands and all used kitchen implements.

@Antje77
I’m needing a bit of reassurance. Your hypo must have been awful if you resorted to sour worms as a hypo treat. Poor things. They may have been sour, but... couldn’t you have eaten something sweet, like a glucose tab. Murdering worms is a little unfriendly. And slow to impact bg too, I would imagine.
I rather eat worms than glucose tabs, yuck! :yuck:
The worms seem to be confused. Sour and funny at the same time. Thought it best to not let them suffer any longer.

My friend helped me getting rid of the worms (by the handful!) so now the bag is almost empty. Which means I get to choose a new bag of sweets next time I go shopping! I don't use a lot of hypo treats, so choosing something new is a special occasion and I'm already thinking about what it will be :)

119127436_10221779663115133_6977477259139629238_o.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is one of 'those' days after a dream filled and wakeful night... then, of course, I woke up late. I had to be somewhere at 9am and woke up at 9.25. For some reason I haven't figured out yet my FBG was 16.1!!!! :rolleyes::arghh::banghead:

Its 14.6 now!

We have got a 'pop up Police Station' in the village today to discuss villagers' concerns and no 1 on the list (at 9am) was a discussion about under age lads riding round on defective, uninsured, unMOT'd and untaxed motorbikes much too quickly (and without crash helmets). This was an issue that many people including me put on the consultation form so I wanted to be there for it. Luckily they hadn't started when I got there at 9.45 and I hung around for the next discussion on thieves posing as utility workers to gain access to peoples houses. I never knew that was a problem here!

Breakfast at noon was M&S Arbroath kippers.

Dinner will be Naked Glory (very nice vegetarian protein ) with salads, mayonnaise and a chaffle in place of a flat bread.
Well, looking on the bright side if you had arrived at 9am you would have had 45 minutes sitting around instead of the extra time in bed. :)

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! I eat the 85%. Or I make dark chocolate truffles, which are about 1 gram of carbs a piece, even if you make rather large truffles :hungry:
The recipe is easy: The ratio's are:
very dark chocolate: 100
butter: 25
cream: 75
plus cocoa or crushed nuts or whatever you like to roll them in.

Warm butter and cream. Let cool for a bit but not too long. Pour over crushed chocolate. Let cool for a bit more before stirring to prevent separating. Stir. Let cool for longer until you can make little balls or cut squares. Roll in whatever you want to cover them with. Lick hands and all used kitchen implements.
"Lick hands and all used kitchen implements." That really made me laugh. They do sound delicious.

Talking of making things, during lockdown I'd started making my own wholemeal bread (once I could get the flour and yeast) and I now have quite a bit of flour and loads of yeast that I can't use as I've cut out bread because I get more bang for my carb buck with other foods. If only flour weren't so heavy I could post it to my brother (who is diabetic but does make and eat his own bread). He lives 200 miles away so unfortunately I can't just pop over with it. I might send him the yeast though - it could be his Christmas present. :D

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I told Em that, one day next week (before my hospital appointment) we could have a proper afternoon tea, when she comes from school, and maybe invite Mum to come along. She was very enthusiastic and promptly included Dad, if it can be Wednesday - his day off. But Wednesday is the day that her big sister's 2 children visit their gran (DIL) and Shen (No 2 son), this gives the heavily pregnant big sister, a bit of a rest on one day a week. So Em decided that they could also be invited. Not sure how this fits in with the new restrictions though. They are all under 11, so they shouldn't count against the numbers allowed, but technically, that would make it 3 households. We might have to make it Tuesday instead, with no extra guests, other than DIL.

Had a late breakfast of the remaining dhal with roasted cauliflower. Not sure yet what to have later.

Spoke to the diabetes nurse and she reckons I should stop taking Metformin on Monday and not take it again until the following Monday. She wants me to phone again once I have my letter from the hospital, to discuss the instructions given and see what to recommend to the Surgical ward about insulin.

The letter from the hospital came - I will definitely need to contact them about access and insulin. The mail was late today so only arrived just a few minutes before Em so I didn't get a chance to call the hospital or the clinic. I'll have to leave it until Monday now.

Em just left with her Mum so I can think about my evening meal. It'll be a quick dish of scrambled eggs and chopped up bacon. I think I can do without any more veg today - stomach just beginning to settle down after the morning's dhal, although I don't suppose a few mushrooms will do any harm.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Mauriac & @pamK

Brunch - 1 slice of toast (seriously low carb just as nice from the freezer) with couple of slices of chopped pork & egg roll. Some nuts from nutty combo while waiting on the toaster and mug of earl grey with double cream.

Dinner - salmon and prawn cocktail with mixed salad. 2 squares of lindtt 90% dark with another mug of earl grey.