Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hi guys,

Two questions which you may be able to help with.

1. Do you need the reader or can you just be the sensor and use your phone.

2. What it is like for the gym, lifting weight and kettlebell exercises. does it get in the way.

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Andy, I can answer your first question. I started to use the Freestyle Libre during lockdown and did the online training rather than attend the Diabetes clinic. I was only sent a sensor and told to download the app on my smart phone so you can definitely use the system without the sensor.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
1. Do you need the reader or can you just be the sensor and use your phone.
You don't need the reader you can just use a phone as long as it has NFC and gets along with it, some I believe don't really work very well, not sure which though - I've not had any problems (I've used a OnePlus3 (recently retired) and a Samsung A71 with no issues)

2. What it is like for the gym, lifting weight and kettlebell exercises. does it get in the way.
Sorry can't answer this as I don't think I've ever set foot in a gym :) I don't have any problems with cycling, archery or last weekend when I was demolishing a shed and then building a new one the next day (though I did ache a lot by the end of it, there was a fair wodge of lifting, pulling, hammer wielding and swearing involved)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
1. A phone works just fine, no need for the reader.
2. I can't imagine how it could get in the way. Imagine having a coin glued to the back of your arm, it's like that.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1. A phone works just fine, no need for the reader.
2. I can't imagine how it could get in the way. Imagine having a coin glued to the back of your arm, it's like that.

I see it more like the security tags they use in clothes shops?

With regards to movement @Andy_Warlow . It's never got in the way of a day's graft.. :)

It's the thin end of the wedge with a libre.. You may end up doing the "hard stuff."
Adding a Miaomiao or bubble Bluetooth bridge to it.. ;)

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't know. Attaching one of those to my arm sounds rather painful!

Removing could be worse.

In brief, it what I tell my mother (Alzhiemers.) whenever she repeatedly spots the disc . "Remember when you stole me from that "baby shop?" ;) There is a "amnesty" if you wanna give me back... :D

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can use your phone if it is NFC and can actually work with the sensor so do check as some phones do not.

In terms of the gym - I have equipment at home and my only issue is when I put it on my thigh to give my arm a rest - I find I can't use things like a foam roller as effectively but when it is on my arms I just have the usual challenge of door-frames jumping out at me! But in terms of using resistance and free weights for strength training, I have never had any issue when it is on my arms.