Caution !!!

PapaOrca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve just watched a video produced by Diabetes U.K. Regarding improving your 7 tips to improving your HbA1c. I’d just like to be a little cautious about this matter as it was never covered in the video. NICE state that the perfect HbA1c for a type 1 diabetic is 6.5 this is just a target figure providing you’re never hypo. Your HbA1c is your average blood glucose level which ultimately means your variation between low and high isn’t really taken into account I.e. I could have lots of Hypo’s and Hyper’s and still get a great HbA1c ?

Reactions: Tophat1900

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
NICE state that the perfect HbA1c for a type 1 diabetic is 6.5 this is just a target figure providing you’re never hypo. Your HbA1c is your average blood glucose level which ultimately means your variation between low and high isn’t really taken into account I.e. I could have lots of Hypo’s and Hyper’s and still get a great HbA1c ?

A lot of people would argue that "TIR"(time in range) is a better measure of diabetic control, but an hba1c is a simple blood test which can be done on anyone. TIR is dependent on having an accurate cgm, which isn't possible for everyone, both financially (they are expensive) and practically (some people's bodies can't tolerate them). I'd argue that a lower hba1c is better, but for many that coincides with a rise in hypos and a loss of hypo awareness. Without a cgm I lose hypo awareness once my hba1c goes down that far , though I'm hoping to achieve lower levels now I'm self funding a dexcom (and if it continues to work for me.)