1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Caution !!!

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by PapaOrca, Sep 30, 2020.

1. PapaOrca

PapaOrca Type 1 · Newbie

I’ve just watched a video produced by Diabetes U.K. Regarding improving your 7 tips to improving your HbA1c. I’d just like to be a little cautious about this matter as it was never covered in the video. NICE state that the perfect HbA1c for a type 1 diabetic is 6.5 this is just a target figure providing you’re never hypo. Your HbA1c is your average blood glucose level which ultimately means your variation between low and high isn’t really taken into account I.e. I could have lots of Hypo’s and Hyper’s and still get a great HbA1c ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

A lot of people would argue that "TIR"(time in range) is a better measure of diabetic control, but an hba1c is a simple blood test which can be done on anyone. TIR is dependent on having an accurate cgm, which isn't possible for everyone, both financially (they are expensive) and practically (some people's bodies can't tolerate them). I'd argue that a lower hba1c is better, but for many that coincides with a rise in hypos and a loss of hypo awareness. Without a cgm I lose hypo awareness once my hba1c goes down that far , though I'm hoping to achieve lower levels now I'm self funding a dexcom (and if it continues to work for me.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook