What do I do, I do t know much about type 1 and always something new to learn

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tested 4 times and reading HI
What do I do, ...
Use bolus insulin to bring glucose down. Also test for ketones. If they are high and you don't feel well, it is probably a good idea to get help. See if you can figure out why blood glucose is so high : missed insulin inject? food? illness? stress?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
First thing, your hands are clean and your testing strips are in date? Were your levels unusually high earlier today? I'm going to assume yes to both those questions.

Have your diabetic clinic explained how much to inject when you need a correction dose of insulin? If they have, then do it.
If not.....(and I am guessing this is the case).

Ring 111 and ask for advice. (Don't wait till the morning)

The risk for T1s with high blood sugars is if they are combined with high ketones. At this point you can get diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) which will end up in you being stuck on an insulin drip in hospital or dead if you don't get the correct treatment in time. Test your ketones with a meter or urine testing strips if you can, because if they are low or zero your high bg reading is less serious.

I''m assuming from your previous posts that you are a slow onset T1 who's probably been on a honeymoon for a couple of years and not needed much insulin. I'm guessing your insulin needs have now gone up and you need more.... But overdosing is as dangerous as underdosing so you need to inject the right amount, we can't advise on dosing here.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Call 111.
Do you have bolus insulin or only long acting?

TypeZero.

Contact diabetic team to ask for advice. As someone pointed out earlier, make sure your hands are clean and retest to make sure you are definitely high. The HI result has a different limit on different devices but it’s usually for blood glucose above 23mmol/L.

If you feel comfortable then you may want to inject insulin. With me, I worked out my own insulin ratios and insulin sensitivity factor. However that may not be the case for you so don’t inject insulin if you don’t feel confident.

The way I worked it all out was I injected 1 unit of insulin then waited 3-4 hours and calculated the difference between the blood glucose before and after injecting. Then I went on to eat 10g of carbs without insulin and see how much that affected my blood sugar.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The HI result has a different limit on different devices but it’s usually for blood glucose above 23mmol/L.

Hi TZ,

Closer to 33mmol with some meters I've had over the years.

With that, I would concur with calling for professional help & consultation if nothing is bringing this down..

Reactions: TypeZero.