JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well they rolled out the Libre2 across Europe we in the UK never saw it I wonder is the Libre3 going to be the same.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Somebody else posted about this getting it's CE mark. So it complies with all relevant European standards but that may not make it automatically eligible for sale in the UK after Brexit.

The UK is adopting the UKCA mark so Abbott 'may' need different approvals to sell in the UK which is likely to delay entry into our market.

Reactions: hels

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Well my catch is they say at the same low costs. But they said that about the Libre 2 versus the 14 day Libre and the Libre 2 is more expensive than the 14 day one. (they both are 14 days, they just needed a new name).

The Libre 2 already communicates with the sensor because it has a high and low alert and you are supposed to have the reader within 20 feet for it to work. So they already have that built in, they just need the programming change. Plus I guess it will be a little smaller? As the costs go up, it will be close to the costs of Dexcom and Dexcom is more accurate and you can calibrate it. So I am curious what it will cost and what it does. Here in the US the 14 day and the Libre 2 are both supposed to stay available. The Libre 2 is supposed to be more accurate than the 14 day Libre, but I have found the Libre 2 no different than the 14 day Libre. Adding a Miao Miao or a Bubble to the 14 day Libre gives you more alerts and the ability to calibrate.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well my catch is they say at the same low costs. But they said that about the Libre 2 versus the 14 day Libre and the Libre 2 is more expensive than the 14 day one. (they both are 14 days, they just needed a new name).

The Libre 2 already communicates with the sensor because it has a high and low alert and you are supposed to have the reader within 20 feet for it to work. So they already have that built in, they just need the programming change. Plus I guess it will be a little smaller? As the costs go up, it will be close to the costs of Dexcom and Dexcom is more accurate and you can calibrate it. So I am curious what it will cost and what it does. Here in the US the 14 day and the Libre 2 are both supposed to stay available. The Libre 2 is supposed to be more accurate than the 14 day Libre, but I have found the Libre 2 no different than the 14 day Libre. Adding a Miao Miao or a Bubble to the 14 day Libre gives you more alerts and the ability to calibrate.

On another forum I look at, I read posts from people in the US about a 10 day Libre, is that real?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@urbanracer Before the 14 day Libre the US used the 10 day. We were still using the 10 day sensors for a longer time when UK/Europe were using 14 day. They had more trouble getting the 14 day okayed by our government. The 14 day replaced the 10 day sometime last year? I'm pretty sure you would have a hard time getting a 10 day here still, but who knows there might be stock somewhere. Plus in some other countries I believe they still have the 10 day in use.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@urbanracer Before the 14 day Libre the US used the 10 day. We were still using the 10 day sensors for a longer time when UK/Europe were using 14 day. They had more trouble getting the 14 day okayed by our government. The 14 day replaced the 10 day sometime last year? I'm pretty sure you would have a hard time getting a 10 day here still, but who knows there might be stock somewhere. Plus in some other countries I believe they still have the 10 day in use.

that is odd. We (in the UK) had the first Libre a long time (Years?) before it was available in the US and it was always a 14 day lifespan.
I wonder how a later model 10 day one came about for the States...?
Don’t worry, that was a rhetorical question and needs no answer! :D

Am v curious to see where it all goes.
Hopefully the UK will skip the 2 completely and jump from 1 -> 3.
The Libre’s main attraction has always been the fact it is cheaper than the Dexcom. If the price rises for the L3, then it becomes far less attractive to those of us who self fund.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hmmm............the Libra 10 day first became available in the US around Jan 2018...............don't quote me on that as I'm not completely positive. Everyone used to talk about that Europe already had been using a 14 day one. Before that everyone that used CGM's mostly used Dexcom, but probably only type 1's because of insurance coverage (Dexcom has been here since 2006, Medtronic sensors have been around longer but not as desirable because of accuracy.) It is interesting because they kept selling the parts for past Dexcoms as they came out with the new ones. So there would be some using Dexcom 4's while others had 5's etc. But they are forcing a switch to only Dexcom 6 and have announced they will no longer sell the transmitters for past ones anymore.

Dexcoms are preferred here but mostly only gotten if you have insurance coverage. If your insurance doesn't cover a Dexcom or cover it enough the Libre is by far cheaper. Plus the Libre is starting to gain in popularity for use among type 2's but not always covered by insurance. I've also been seeing a surge in people getting Libres for their diabetic pets here as it is an affordable option.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I believe if you used the 10 day sensor with a third party app on a phone it lasted 14 days the difference was not mainly in the sensor but the reader.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could never understand why it took so long for the US to get the Libre. I always expect techy new stuff to appear there first.
But I have just checked back, and the first thread we had about the Libre going onto the market in the UK was almost 6 years ago.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-libre-on-sale.65900/

That is a HUGE gap between 2014 (UK) and 2018 (US). I can’t see Abbott voluntarily depriving themselves of the US market for 4 years, so assume it must have been US regulatory processes.

none of which is really relevant to the L3 subject of your thead @Marie 2 , so apologies for the derailment.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
No apologies needed I thought it was interesting. I had looked if someone else posted about Libre3 and hadn't found anything. So I missed the previous mention. The Libre2 is just starting to be used here. I would assume that it was introduced here as we are a huge market and our system would allow a different purchasing avenue while they try to run it past your health system to supply it.

I would also assume the hurdle of delay here in the US at first would be that it was held up in comparison to the Dexcom which has calibration, alerts etc. Plus we already had Dexcoms and Medtronics in use. But they finally got it approved because it was a more affordable option and easily used so could be more widely used by more people. Dexcom here is doing a booming business as the G6 is easier to use than previous versions. Libre seems to be doing very well too. Frankly Dexcom needed competition.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The UK is adopting the UKCA mark so Abbott 'may' need different approvals to sell in the UK which is likely to delay entry into our market.

Can anyone see the benefit of the U.K. setting up it's own standards for no other reason that we don't want to be European. Such as shame that we the British people have been well and truly shafted by a bunch of . . . . . .

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can anyone see the benefit of the U.K. setting up it's own standards for no other reason that we don't want to be European. Such as shame that we the British people have been well and truly shafted by a bunch of . . . . . .

I work for a company that makes large medical devices and I could tell you some pretty crazy stuff about this Brexit nonsense. I fear though, it would constitute a significant derailment of this thread so I'll save it for another day.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone see the benefit of the U.K. setting up it's own standards for no other reason that we don't want to be European

It is very likely for for a device like the Libre the UK standard will be the same as the EU standard. However for car for example, the testing system in the EU stardards was written by Car Manufacturers so they could disabled population controls, so a UK standard without these loop holes could be justified.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
so a UK standard without these loop holes could be justified.
Yes if that's what you will get but I somehow doubt it and don't forget the UK had a say when those EU standards were written and ratified.

Wijlde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Heard from Abbott that the Libre 3 will initially only be available in script in UK. So for those of us having to pay for themselves - it’s a long wait

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heard from Abbott that the Libre 3 will initially only be available in script in UK. So for those of us having to pay for themselves - it’s a long wait

Hello Wijlde. I don't suppose the person you spoke to at Abbott mentioned when they thought the Libre 3 would become available in the UK?

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
No benefit what so ever. It'll only add to the problems getting stuff here.