The daily mail is at it again.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol I would have to wait until 5 pm since that is normally when I break my night time fast :banghead:

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't get the indignation i must admit? im not a fan of the mail don't get me wrong but in terms of this "study"...

They took a group of people, they gave them coffee then a sugary drink - then tested the blood glucose...

They the gave the same people just the sugary drink without first having the coffee on other days...

The days where they had the coffee first their blood sugar was higher?

I mean it wasn't exactly allot of people they tested and certainly the headline is a little sensationalist but i don't see why it should cause such outrage here, there could be something in it? Seems reasonable to assume that as caffeine is a stimulant it could affect the way your body processes glucose, perhaps in the negative.

If having caffeine does indeed reduce your body's ability to process glucose, even slightly, then having caffeine increases the stress on your system. You may not like it, but if that's what it is then that's what it is.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that clicking on Daily Mail headlines actually significantly increases my blood pressure so in order to decrease my blood pressure med dosage, I simply don't click on them and enjoy my morning cuppa.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The diabetes cause is not going to be advanced until people start taking issue with how misdirected, incomplete, incompetent or just plain fraudulent so much medical research is. But some people just want to shoot the messenger.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
So they focused on the effect of the coffee and not on the the high glucose consumption.... and warned about the coffee and not the high consumption of non-essential carbohydrate. Brilliant!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read this and I do NOT care. Sorry, I can avoid just about everything else that is supposedly bad for you but I refuse to give up my morning coffee. I don't care if it's an addiction, I don't even care if it gives you Covid, I am NOT giving it up....sorry, did I say I liked my coffee!!!! x

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I was going to post about this when I got round to it.

The initial conclusion, that coffee may inhibit the take up of glucose by the cells (therefore increase insulin resistance) is an interesting point.
I think that they checked and that insulin production remained about the same.

The extrapolation that BG spikes due to this (not quantified) might increase the risk of developing T2 seems a bit of a stretch.

The conclusion that you should only drink coffee after you had processed your sugary drink or breakfast cereal was well off target.

At the most, it might have concluded that you should not combine strong coffee with a sugar/carbohydrate overload. If the spikes were seriously large.

Reactions: Robbity

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lies and dammed nutritional science. googled the opposite to the article and this popped up immediately:
Some studies suggest that drinking coffee — whether caffeinated and decaffeinated — may actually reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. If you already have diabetes, however, the impact of caffeine on insulin action may be associated with higher or lower blood sugar levels.
Doesn't say if the blood sugar rise was due to the muffin they ate with their coffee or if they stopped at Starbucks for one of their Grande spiced pumpkin lattes (the adult equivalent of a milkshake!).
Or if those feeling tired because they are suffering from undiagnosed diabetes might drink coffee to help them through.
Coffee is my drug of choice so I am biased to disagree with this contention so on its side I can see that it raises the stress hormones which could cause a rise in blood sugar but the ideas that it 'causes type 2' is non sensical!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lies and dammed nutritional science. googled the opposite to the article and this popped up immediately:
Some studies suggest that drinking coffee — whether caffeinated and decaffeinated — may actually reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. If you already have diabetes, however, the impact of caffeine on insulin action may be associated with higher or lower blood sugar levels.
Doesn't say if the blood sugar rise was due to the muffin they ate with their coffee or if they stopped at Starbucks for one of their Grande spiced pumpkin lattes (the adult equivalent of a milkshake!).
Or if those feeling tired because they are suffering from undiagnosed diabetes might drink coffee to help them through.
Coffee is my drug of choice so I am biased to disagree with this contention so on its side I can see that it raises the stress hormones which could cause a rise in blood sugar but the ideas that it 'causes type 2' is non sensical!

WINNER!!!! Thank you Nicole :)

Reactions: Krystyna23040
M

Member496333

Can't read the article but I gather it's about coffee. Coffee is a bit like bread - no one wants to quit it, and everyone will defend it to the death. Ergo addicted. I'm a huge fan myself, but no longer drink it because it was starting to feel like a bit of a crutch. Being teetotal, coffee was my last vice.

I am also now dairy-free, which isn't compatible with how I liked my coffee. I miissed it for a while but life is so much easier just eating animals, and drinking room temperature bottled water. But that's all just personal choice. One potential thing to be aware of is that, for some, coffee can markedly increase triglycerides, which of course may not be optimal.

Reactions: SMS1

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Can't read the article but I gather it's about coffee. Coffee is a bit like bread - no one wants to quit it, and everyone will defend it to the death. Ergo addicted. I'm a huge fan myself, but no longer drink it because it was starting to feel like a bit of a crutch. Being teetotal, coffee was my last vice.

I am also now dairy-free, which isn't compatible with how I liked my coffee. I miissed it for a while but life is so much easier just eating animals, and drinking room temperature bottled water. But that's all just personal choice. One potential thing to be aware of is that, for some, coffee can markedly increase triglycerides, which of course may not be optimal.

I guess the question is... does it cause a short term elevation in triglycerides (During the testing time and for a few hrs afterwards perhaps) or is it a long term thing or an individual reaction to caffeine?

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

I guess the question is... does it cause a short term elevation in triglycerides (During the testing time and for a few hrs afterwards perhaps) or is it a long term thing or an individual reaction to caffeine?

That, sir, I do not know. I read that it’s not the caffeine, though, as the effect can occur also with decaffeinated.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
That, sir, I do not know. I read that it’s not the caffeine, though, as the effect can occur also with decaffeinated.

That's some serious whacker doodle stuff then... I know Feldman has talked about it. Might have to do some reading, although it's not an issue for me, I'm just curious.

Reactions: Member496333

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think it did for me. Morning of blood test after a night of fasting, fuzzilly, I had 2 decaffs, my TG’s went way higher. Quite concerned until I read up about it.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it did for me. Morning of blood test after a night of fasting, fuzzilly, I had 2 decaffs, my TG’s went way higher. Quite concerned until I read up about it.
Any chance your period of fasting put you into ketosis (fat burning)? That also increases LDL levels and TG since you would be moving extra lipid materials around the house. Cholesterol is really only the delivery system for fat. It is an essential requirement for life - we cannot live by glucose alone.

Case for caffeine not proven. Decaff is even less caffeine!

PS I just had same effect on my tests and also fasted all day for it. Definitely in ketosis in my case.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any chance your period of fasting put you into ketosis (fat burning)? That also increases LDL levels and TG since you would be moving extra lipid materials around the house. Cholesterol is really only the delivery system for fat. It is an essential requirement for life - we cannot live by glucose alone.

Case for caffeine not proven. Decaff is even less caffeine!

PS I just had same effect on my tests and also fasted all day for it. Definitely in ketosis in my case.
What I meant by fasting is just a night sleep of 8 hrs (I had a snack before sleeping) as I wasn't yet on a specific diet so I don't know if it was ketosis (which means I would've have to have been on lower carbs for a while,yes?) Also to be fair, I wasn't paying much attention to my food at that time so yes, case not proven for caffeine:).

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I meant by fasting is just a night sleep of 8 hrs (I had a snack before sleeping) as I wasn't yet on a specific diet so I don't know if it was ketosis (which means I would've have to have been on lower carbs for a while,yes?) Also to be fair, I wasn't paying much attention to my food at that time so yes, case not proven for caffeine:).
Many doctors do not understand what cholesterol actually does in the body. TG varies greatly as we eat, exercise, or fast. If you are losing weight, and it is coming from the adipose fat not the muscles, then you are transporting lipids in LDL trucks. So a low glucose count will increase the likelihood of raising TC because of this mainline (oops) traffic.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How about as an alterntive headline, 'Cereal and Toast and Jam could give you type two diabetes: Eating the nutrionally deplete yet high carbodydrate cereals, bread, and sugary jam can raise your blood sugar by 50%, experts warn'.

Do we see headlines like this? And if not, then why not?

Sadly, we know the answer.