proliferative diabetic retinopathy - need help please :(

PDR T2

Glad to hear the DME is minimal. I guess the laser treatment is to seal leaky blood vessels.
Its hard not to be stressed by all this I know, try to take things moment by by moment and appreciate that you are now being treated for it. this is positive. fear and stress do not help, though i really sympathise as doe everyone else who goes through this.
Thank you. Much appreciated. The laser is PRP .. Peripheral version of it. Ill try to stay strong. I am only 34 and very worried .. thanks again

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I don't know about the other eye problems, but I have seen several people post that their background retinopathy improved after several years of good glycemic control via Low Carb).
It's not fast, it not guaranteed, but it does happen for some.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
It's possible that your blind spot is due to a vitreous/pre-retinal haemorrhage resulting from your PDR. If so, it should improve as the haemorrhage resolves. If not, there is a procedure called a vitrectomy that can remove it. However, there are other causes of blind spots - you need to ask your ophthalmologist what is causing it in your case.

If your PDR is still bleeding into the vitreous, it could cause darker vision which improves during the day as the blood sinks due to gravity. It may not seem like it to you but 2 months is not very long in terms of treatment for PDR. The best thing you can do is to continue to attend all the eye appointments you are given and to continue maintaining good glucose control as in the long term it reduces your risk of sight loss.

I believe @Grant_Vicat has personal experience of laser for PDR and may be able to give a useful perspective.
Many thanks for the tag @Dark Horse It is certainly true I had laser surgery for PDR in both eyes between 1979 and 1983. Only very strict control halted further deterioration. I was extremely lucky in being affected peripherally and only having a blind spot at 5 o'clock.

PDR T2

Many thanks for the tag @Dark Horse It is certainly true I had laser surgery for PDR in both eyes between 1979 and 1983. Only very strict control halted further deterioration. I was extremely lucky in being affected peripherally and only having a blind spot at 5 o'clock.
thanks you @Grant_Vicat ... Much appreciated. Do you get used to the blind spot after a while? Does it go away eventually?
Glad to hear you are doing well now.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I am beaten. Sad and have no words to explain my feelings. This June I was diagnosed with severe PDR. High risk proliferative diabetic retinopathy. It all happened after I tightened my a1c control in a year. Went from 10 to 4.8 mmol. I felt great. Everything was going well. Until one day in June I noticed an empty spot in middle of my right eye. It was very weird. Long storey short. Here I am now. 2 months in. 2 laser sessions in each eye; 2 Avastin shot in each and honestly I don’t see an improvement. At least I don’t feel it. I have a ‘dangly floater - string ‘ from from top of my eyes to bottom. Doctor is aware of it as well.

I am tired of the whole thing. I test my eye every second and can’t keep doing that :(. So sad how you get control of your sickness then your told things got worse. It’s like if you quit smoking and then a year later you get Lung cancer. :(

Any words from the world here?
Has any one experienced this ?
Does it get worst when treatment starts and then better after ?
Will I go blind now and it’s a done deal? Just looking for anything here My vision is dark /blurry when I wake up but gets better through the day. Not sure if anyone has his through this as well?
Will the empty spot in vision go away ?

Thank you all
Hi @PDR T2 I can only offer you real sympathy and a prayer that things will improve. After @Dark Horse tagged me below, I have decided to respond, although my diagnosis was not quite the same as yours. I had total haemorrhaging in my right eye in early 1979, and they had to wait 10 days for it to clear enough. So I fully understand your fears. My left eye did the same but not as prolifically. To this day I have scarring and a blind spot bottom right, which does not affect driving or reading. Back in the late 70's I thought the downward spiral to a dark world had begun in earnest. I still read and drive! I urge you to keep positive and do your best to maintain good control as others have said, in spite of the fact that your efforts seem pointless right now. I wish you the very best of luck.

PDR T2

Hi @PDR T2 I can only offer you real sympathy and a prayer that things will improve. After @Dark Horse tagged me below, I have decided to respond, although my diagnosis was not quite the same as yours. I had total haemorrhaging in my right eye in early 1979, and they had to wait 10 days for it to clear enough. So I fully understand your fears. My left eye did the same but not as prolifically. To this day I have scarring and a blind spot bottom right, which does not affect driving or reading. Back in the late 70's I thought the downward spiral to a dark world had begun in earnest. I still read and drive! I urge you to keep positive and do your best to maintain good control as others have said, in spite of the fact that your efforts seem pointless right now. I wish you the very best of luck.
you guys are amazing. thank you @Dark Horse @Grant_Vicat .. always better to hear from people who has gone through this for sure.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
thanks you @Grant_Vicat ... Much appreciated. Do you get used to the blind spot after a while? Does it go away eventually?
Glad to hear you are doing well now.
I have had scarring which shows up against bright backgrounds, so I sometimes fail to notice smaller birds or a distant jet which others have clearly seen. My blind spot is below the level of the windscreen when driving and only causes me to kick things accidentally when on the floor to the right. I have been used to this for years. Treatment is so far advanced in comparison with 40 years ago. One ophthalmologist said to me "Blimey, it's like looking at a road map of London. Thankfully that is not what I see on a daily basis. Let's hope you are at least as fortunate as I have been!

Reactions: PDR T2

PDR T2

I have had scarring which shows up against bright backgrounds, so I sometimes fail to notice smaller birds or a distant jet which others have clearly seen. My blind spot is below the level of the windscreen when driving and only causes me to kick things accidentally when on the floor to the right. I have been used to this for years. Treatment is so far advanced in comparison with 40 years ago. One ophthalmologist said to me "Blimey, it's like looking at a road map of London. Thankfully that is not what I see on a daily basis. Let's hope you are at least as fortunate as I have been!
what does the scaring look like? empty spot in vision? basically? Just curious :)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Hi,
Sorry, this didn't appear on my screen last night, or at least until 22.46.
I am sitting in a dark room on a very dull day and therefore the computer screen shows little floaters about the size of an 'i; in Font size 8 generally. The small scarring there is, all peripheral and like very faded patches of a sepia photograph.. When I go into 'standard light' I don't notice any of this. As I have the onset of cataracts, it is not as clear as 2 years ago or more. I don. have enpty spots, just tiny areas where the windscreen wipers are just failing to remove the last traces of dead insects, but translucent.
I hope this helps in some way.

PDR T2

Hi,
Sorry, this didn't appear on my screen last night, or at least until 22.46.
I am sitting in a dark room on a very dull day and therefore the computer screen shows little floaters about the size of an 'i; in Font size 8 generally. The small scarring there is, all peripheral and like very faded patches of a sepia photograph.. When I go into 'standard light' I don't notice any of this. As I have the onset of cataracts, it is not as clear as 2 years ago or more. I don. have enpty spots, just tiny areas where the windscreen wipers are just failing to remove the last traces of dead insects, but translucent.
I hope this helps in some way.
Thanks @Grant_Vicat and no worries at all. Do you or anyone have any experience with vitrous hemmrage black dangley floater (from bleeding)? they are so annoying .. do they go away over time? thanks

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Thanks @Grant_Vicat and no worries at all. Do you or anyone have any experience with vitrous hemmrage black dangley floater (from bleeding)? they are so annoying .. do they go away over time? thanks
Hi, I haven't any personal experience of this, but I would have thought the head of Opthalmology at your Hospital could tell you. Somewhere on their website their should be a departmental list and then a contact list, usually leaving an Email or phone contact details. I'm sure they would at the very least try to answer your question. I know that many on the Forum have had retinopathy, but not certain about exactly your experience. Maybe someone will respond who could put your mind at rest? I hope you get an answer before much longer.

Reactions: PDR T2