1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

proliferative diabetic retinopathy - need help please :(

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by PDR T2, Oct 4, 2020.

1. PDR T2

PDR T2 · Member

Thank you. Much appreciated. The laser is PRP .. Peripheral version of it. Ill try to stay strong. I am only 34 and very worried .. thanks again

2. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't know about the other eye problems, but I have seen several people post that their background retinopathy improved after several years of good glycemic control via Low Carb).
    It's not fast, it not guaranteed, but it does happen for some.

3. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the tag @Dark Horse It is certainly true I had laser surgery for PDR in both eyes between 1979 and 1983. Only very strict control halted further deterioration. I was extremely lucky in being affected peripherally and only having a blind spot at 5 o'clock.

4. PDR T2

PDR T2 · Member

thanks you @Grant_Vicat ... Much appreciated. Do you get used to the blind spot after a while? Does it go away eventually?
    Glad to hear you are doing well now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grant_Vicat

Hi @PDR T2 I can only offer you real sympathy and a prayer that things will improve. After @Dark Horse tagged me below, I have decided to respond, although my diagnosis was not quite the same as yours. I had total haemorrhaging in my right eye in early 1979, and they had to wait 10 days for it to clear enough. So I fully understand your fears. My left eye did the same but not as prolifically. To this day I have scarring and a blind spot bottom right, which does not affect driving or reading. Back in the late 70's I thought the downward spiral to a dark world had begun in earnest. I still read and drive! I urge you to keep positive and do your best to maintain good control as others have said, in spite of the fact that your efforts seem pointless right now. I wish you the very best of luck.

6. PDR T2

PDR T2 · Member

you guys are amazing. thank you @Dark Horse @Grant_Vicat .. always better to hear from people who has gone through this for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grant_Vicat

I have had scarring which shows up against bright backgrounds, so I sometimes fail to notice smaller birds or a distant jet which others have clearly seen. My blind spot is below the level of the windscreen when driving and only causes me to kick things accidentally when on the floor to the right. I have been used to this for years. Treatment is so far advanced in comparison with 40 years ago. One ophthalmologist said to me "Blimey, it's like looking at a road map of London. Thankfully that is not what I see on a daily basis. Let's hope you are at least as fortunate as I have been!

• Like Like x 1
  8. PDR T2

PDR T2 · Member

what does the scaring look like? empty spot in vision? basically? Just curious :)

9. Grant_Vicat

Hi,
    Sorry, this didn't appear on my screen last night, or at least until 22.46.
    I am sitting in a dark room on a very dull day and therefore the computer screen shows little floaters about the size of an 'i; in Font size 8 generally. The small scarring there is, all peripheral and like very faded patches of a sepia photograph.. When I go into 'standard light' I don't notice any of this. As I have the onset of cataracts, it is not as clear as 2 years ago or more. I don. have enpty spots, just tiny areas where the windscreen wipers are just failing to remove the last traces of dead insects, but translucent.
    I hope this helps in some way.

10. PDR T2

PDR T2 · Member

Thanks @Grant_Vicat and no worries at all. Do you or anyone have any experience with vitrous hemmrage black dangley floater (from bleeding)? they are so annoying .. do they go away over time? thanks

11. Grant_Vicat

Hi, I haven't any personal experience of this, but I would have thought the head of Opthalmology at your Hospital could tell you. Somewhere on their website their should be a departmental list and then a contact list, usually leaving an Email or phone contact details. I'm sure they would at the very least try to answer your question. I know that many on the Forum have had retinopathy, but not certain about exactly your experience. Maybe someone will respond who could put your mind at rest? I hope you get an answer before much longer.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook