Needle Change Concern

alandavis77

Hi Guys

I’m after some advice and hoping that someone may be able to help.

move been diagnosed as Type 1 for a couple of years now. I am 43.

I have been instructed to change my needles for my insulin pen to a 4mm one. This is shorter than my previous 5mm ones.

this though has coincided with my bloody sugars being significantly higher. My HbA1C (according to Libre) has gone from 58 to 66.

Could this just be a coincidence or could it be that the insulin is not getting into my system enough.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.....well it could be just a coincidence......these things do happen but on the other hand maybe not, it can also depend on the amount of fatty tissue you have to inject in.

Have they changed the brand of needles.....as that can make a difference to the quality of the needle which can make a difference to the total quantity of the delivery of your insulin.

I found with the cheaper brands of needles not only did I bruise more they bent on insertion and didn't deliver a full dose,

I went back to the surgery and asked for my usual brand and size and kept at them till they were re-issued, since when I've had no more problems........

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
could it just be that you need to adjust your doses? Have you tried that? Performed a basal test?
xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. 4mm is now the most common needle size and moving down from 5mm shouldn't matter unless you have excess fat in the skin layers.

Reactions: ert

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you using cartridges ? Maybe the needle is to short to puncture the cartridge. Do you expel insulin prior to delivery to make sure its coming out ?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you using cartridges ? Maybe the needle is to short to puncture the cartridge. Do you expel insulin prior to delivery to make sure its coming out ?
As long as you've put the needle on properly it shouldn't matter whether its a reusable pen or disposable pen it will be long enough on the inner side to puncture the cartridge (unless you haven't fit the cartridge properly in the reusable pen)

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use cartridges and 4mm needles, the needle length from that side is the same length regardless what size of needles you are using, it is only the end that you insert into your skin that is a different length

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok but ive had problems with my 4mm needles thats all... if theyre not s crewed tight the insulin doesnt deliver. No prob ever with treseba or novo pens but cartridges i have . Just saying and offering my experience