Covid and Work, Covid Advice and General Chat

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had the first injection on the Novavax Covid-19 vaccine trial and have reacted quite badly to it over the last 40 hours. I'm buying an antibody test just to be sure I didn't get the saline, even though my symptoms strongly support I didn't. I get the second injection 3 weeks after the first which early trials support will boost my t-cells. But it does mean, fingers crossed, I will be returning to teaching in the classroom very soon.
https://www.testingforall.org/product/covid-19-home-antibody-test/
I’m sorry you haven’t felt well. I’m full of admiration that you are brave enough to take part in these trials. How have you reacted? I’m assuming it’s not a live vaccine thus can’t actually give you covid? Will you continue despite the reaction? Sorry I’m curious and fascinated and worried in equal measures by the vaccine options out there.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I did the antibody test a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, I was negative. My son however, was positive. We can pinpoint when he had Covid 19 as it was before lockdown. He lost his sense of taste and smell and that was before it was a symptom. One evening he was sitting next to me eating a roast dinner and said he couldn’t taste a thing or smell his dinner. I thought he had a blocked nose but he didn’t.
Obviously, I didn’t catch it, don’t know how as he was sitting right next to me, living at home, using all the same taps, surfaces etc. I was washing his clothes, clearing his plates etc just normally as we all were before this became a thing.
Which company's antibody test did you use? You may have had antibodies that have now gone.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I’m sorry you haven’t felt well. I’m full of admiration that you are brave enough to take part in these trials. How have you reacted? I’m assuming it’s not a live vaccine thus can’t actually give you covid? Will you continue despite the reaction? Sorry I’m curious and fascinated and worried in equal measures by the vaccine options out there.
I have the flu vaccine every year and never feel a thing. For the Novavax trial, the injection site ached and still feels bruised to touch, had a really bad headache, fever, muscle aches, fatigue, nausea for 40 hours and didn't respond to paracetamol or ibuprofen. I was in bed for half a day, and I followed sick day rules as my blood sugars stayed high during that time. The vaccine consists of a synthetic protein which has the same structure as key protein on the surface of the SARS-CoV-2, which is what we develop antibodies to. My symptoms look pretty standard, but some people don't react at all:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/04/novavaxs-covid-19-vaccine-shows-promising-immune-response-early-data-show/#:~:text=More than 60% had other,and none was life-threatening.

I'm certainly not letting a bit of discomfort stop me from getting the second injection, and immunity with a t-cell spike. I really want to return to work. And travel again.

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which company's antibody test did you use? You may have had antibodies that have now gone.

I used Testing for All. My reading was 0.07. You need over 1 to have antibodies. My son’s reading was 25.08. Quite a difference.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the antibody test a couple of weeks ago. Sadly, I was negative. My son however, was positive. We can pinpoint when he had Covid 19 as it was before lockdown. He lost his sense of taste and smell and that was before it was a symptom. One evening he was sitting next to me eating a roast dinner and said he couldn’t taste a thing or smell his dinner. I thought he had a blocked nose but he didn’t.
Obviously, I didn’t catch it, don’t know how as he was sitting right next to me, living at home, using all the same taps, surfaces etc. I was washing his clothes, clearing his plates etc just normally as we all were before this became a thing.

Was your son's lose of taste and smell his only sympton, or did he feel unwell afterwards?
Asking, as I lost my sense of smell for about two days, didn't really think anything of it as didn't feel too bad but since then....
a bit meh.....

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Tannith

BANNED
Explaining the policy today, the Prime Minister’s spokesman added: “The over 60s should take extra care because there is evidence they could be at greater risk of becoming seriously ill.

“The scientific advice is that people in the over 60 age group do have a higher risk of becoming more unwell with coronavirus, so they should take extra precaution.”

To add confusion however, official government guidance initially went further and said over-60s were actually part of the “clinically vulnerable” group, rather than just following the same rules as that group.

It said: “Clinically vulnerable people are those who are aged 60 or over (regardless of medical conditions)”.

0_aged-60.jpg

The guidance originally said over-60s had officially joined the clinically vulnerable group
After several inquiries by the Mirror, the page was corrected last night to make clear that, while not all over-60s are clinically vulnerable, they are being asked to follow the same rules as the vulnerable anyway.

The new guidance says: “If you are clinically vulnerable, or over the age of 60, you should be especially careful to follow the rules and minimise your contacts with others.”

The update at 7.22pm was labelled as a “minor update to guidance” without any formal log of what had changed.https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...mpaign=coronabriefing_newsletter&ccid=4509336
The clinically vulnerable group includes all over-70s, and anyone under 70 with one of a range of underlying health conditions.

These include asthma, COPD, emphysema, bronchitis, diabetes, Parkinson’s, MND, MS, cerebral palsy, or a BMI above 40.

Pregnant women and those with chronic heart, kidney or liver disease are also included.

The ‘clinically vulnerable’ group has not officially been extended to include all over-60s.

However, the over-60s are now asked to follow the same rules as the ‘clinically vulnerable’ - even though they aren’t in the group.

Max68

The National Education Union have called for schools etc to close during lockdown. This is as link to sign the petition if anyone is interested.
https://actionnetwork.org/forms/close-schools-and-colleges-now?source=direct_link&

Done...........

Well interesting week this week. My musculoskeletal issues haven't got much better and bizarrely despite being inactive for a week and not eating at my best my ancient scales show I am slightly under 12 stone for what seems the first time in years! Usually I would be delighted but my reward for this is a stool test just as a check for undeliberate weight loss!! :banghead::banghead: Mind you I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy done last November so as that was clear hopefully it's reassuring.

After three telephone appointments with the GP he now has asked me to come in for my aches and pains and I have a dental appointment on Wednesday but you can't wear a mask for that one!! Strange how usually normal appointments cause a different way of thinking!

Supermarkets have been caught on the hop as well with Boris's weekend announcement. Had a click & collect yesterday and usually it works like clockwork. Yesterday for a 3.30-4.00 slot I queued in the car from 3.30 till 4.15 before I got into a bay. Felt really sorry for the mere three guys working. People are obviously going to go for delivery slots and click and collect again!

Max68

Explaining the policy today, the Prime Minister’s spokesman added: “The over 60s should take extra care because there is evidence they could be at greater risk of becoming seriously ill.

“The scientific advice is that people in the over 60 age group do have a higher risk of becoming more unwell with coronavirus, so they should take extra precaution.”

To add confusion however, official government guidance initially went further and said over-60s were actually part of the “clinically vulnerable” group, rather than just following the same rules as that group.

It said: “Clinically vulnerable people are those who are aged 60 or over (regardless of medical conditions)”.

0_aged-60.jpg

The guidance originally said over-60s had officially joined the clinically vulnerable group
After several inquiries by the Mirror, the page was corrected last night to make clear that, while not all over-60s are clinically vulnerable, they are being asked to follow the same rules as the vulnerable anyway.

The new guidance says: “If you are clinically vulnerable, or over the age of 60, you should be especially careful to follow the rules and minimise your contacts with others.”

The update at 7.22pm was labelled as a “minor update to guidance” without any formal log of what had changed.https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...mpaign=coronabriefing_newsletter&ccid=4509336
The clinically vulnerable group includes all over-70s, and anyone under 70 with one of a range of underlying health conditions.

These include asthma, COPD, emphysema, bronchitis, diabetes, Parkinson’s, MND, MS, cerebral palsy, or a BMI above 40.

Pregnant women and those with chronic heart, kidney or liver disease are also included.

The ‘clinically vulnerable’ group has not officially been extended to include all over-60s.

However, the over-60s are now asked to follow the same rules as the ‘clinically vulnerable’ - even though they aren’t in the group.

So diabetes and anyone who has flu jab is on there. The advice is "should be especially careful to follow the rules and minimise your contacts with others" However if you work in an education or care setting you will be fine as long as you wash your hands! Would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a dental appointment on Wednesday but you can't wear a mask for that one!!
I have had a couple of dental appointments since my dentist re-opened. I was asked to come wearing a mask, which I thought rather odd, but I suppose it was to protect the receptionist. She turned out to be wearing a surgical mask, but it kept slipping down below her nose. Re-assuringly, my dentist was swathed like a spaceman in PPE. I felt quite safe.

Reactions: Max68

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

Jbicheno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was your son's lose of taste and smell his only sympton, or did he feel unwell afterwards?
Asking, as I lost my sense of smell for about two days, didn't really think anything of it as didn't feel too bad but since then....
a bit meh.....

Sounds a lot like my son. He doesn’t remember feeling particularly I’ll just under the weather for a few days then losing his sense of taste and smell. Luckily, that has returned completely now.

Reactions: hankjam