Oops.

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a nightmare. Type 2. Buried my head in the sand for the last year and ate EVERYTHING. Terrified myself with a finger prick test of 19 this morning. That’s after a day of no sugar. Going back to low carb today. Determined to get it right this time. Any advice? How long will it take for me to see the blood sugar coming down? It was pretty scary seeing it that high.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you do a retest to make sure the finger wasn't contaminated?

That's a pretty high ..... a day of zero carb (meat, fish, eggs) will help and some walking probably.

It might take a while though if your system is packed with glucose so give it a week or so and you should see signicicant improvement.

Check the test strips for their use by date too.

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah hands were clean. Strips in date. I t was 16 yesterday after a day of no carbs. I just hope it’s not too late and I can sort it out!

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on 2 metformin a day. I usually take 2 in the morning as that’s when it’s always highest. Took 3 this morning

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes as the above posters say - go low carb - it's not too late - it can still be done if you really want to change it - unless you are very unlucky - have a look at my signature I was around 16.5 when diagnosed - good luck - you know what to do ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on 2 metformin a day. I usually take 2 in the morning as that’s when it’s always highest. Took 3 this morning
Hi,

To be fair, your medication may just marginally increase insulin sensitivity & retard any liver activity dumping into your system?
Informed dietary choice & staying hydrated may help too..

Exersise comes in many forms.. You look in your profile like an "axe man" to me..? No harm in plugging in if your neighbours can take it & "shredding" a few Mmols off... :cool:

If your bloods are reading that high. Do you have a ketone meter?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Increasing you dose of Metformin won't have an immediate effect since it takes time to build up in the body.
This also means that there is no point in timing your doses so far as Blood Glucose is concerned - however many do need to time it so as to avoid/minimise digestive tract problems.

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

To be fair, your medication may just marginally increase insulin sensitivity & retard any liver activity dumping into your system?
Informed dietary choice & staying hydrated may help too..

Exersise comes in many forms.. You look in your profile like an "axe man" to me..? No harm in plugging in if your neighbours can take it & "shredding" a few Mmols off... :cool:

If your bloods are reading that high. Do you have a ketone meter?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

Haha! Good advice about the guitar! Love a good riff I've never used a ketone metre as I didn't know what one is. I thought if you are in Ketosis, that's a good thing for weight loss? can it be dangerous as well?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha! Good advice about the guitar! Love a good riff I've never used a ketone metre as I didn't know what one is. I thought if you are in Ketosis, that's a good thing for weight loss? can it be dangerous as well?

Ahhhh, ketones. There is "nutritional Ketosis" if your BGs are in normal parameters dieting LC or ketogenically possibly even fasting.. It is an idecator I believe, one is burning body fat.. (Someone slap me if I got that wrong.)
That is the "OK one." So you are correct in your thoughts.

But ketones present with high BGs..? Especially the ones you have been reporting. Regardless of diet..Hence why posted the NHS link. Are not a good place to be..

I love a good riff too.
Hopefully your BGs are heading in the right direction..

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not on meds, so just sharing what is happening with me in case it helps - I don't know what effects medications have on anything.

I am a "relapsed" T2 success story - brought my 86 HBA1c down to 40-something with low carb eating a few years ago and this year I've just stuck my head in the sand too. My annual review is coming up next month, which has spurred me into doing something (yes, I know that's not the point...!).

Started testing again about a week ago and was horrified to get a reading of 16.8 in the morning. I've been low carbing ever since, but it's a slow-going process getting numbers down and not as quick a fix I thought it'd be. My morning readings are in low double figures now, but fluctuating, and my lowest reading has been 6.2 by evening.

Hang in there and don't give up!

Reactions: Daphne917

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice. Just had a reading of 10 which Is the lowest it’s been since I started testing again so it’s in the right direction

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not on meds, so just sharing what is happening with me in case it helps - I don't know what effects medications have on anything.

I am a "relapsed" T2 success story - brought my 86 HBA1c down to 40-something with low carb eating a few years ago and this year I've just stuck my head in the sand too. My annual review is coming up next month, which has spurred me into doing something (yes, I know that's not the point...!).

Started testing again about a week ago and was horrified to get a reading of 16.8 in the morning. I've been low carbing ever since, but it's a slow-going process getting numbers down and not as quick a fix I thought it'd be. My morning readings are in low double figures now, but fluctuating, and my lowest reading has been 6.2 by evening.

Hang in there and don't give up!

How are you getting on? Mine was 10 this morning, and it gets down to 8 during the day. Not as quick as I’d have liked. I’m just plodding away at it!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you getting on? Mine was 10 this morning, and it gets down to 8 during the day. Not as quick as I’d have liked. I’m just plodding away at it!
If it feels like it's slow going, can you tell us what you're eating and drinking exactly, in am average day? Maybe there's carbs you don't realise are in there?

Good luck!
Jo

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was a relapsed T2 6 years ago. My bgl was hitting the ceiling (32+)= HI or KETONES depending on which meter I used. Went LC but not keto immediately, and it took me about a month to get back down to sensible morning readings. I am fine now last HbA1x was 40, still not keto, but can do it if necessary.
As has been said, Metformin takes a few weeks to build up, and even the only gives a couple of mmol/l drop at best. LC will give you better results.

Some meters can take ketone test strips to turn them into ketone meters, Results under 4 or 5 are nutritional ketosis and no problems, above 5 starts to get needing medical review.

aard

does it really take a week for effect? I guess it depends on person, but if I stuff myself with carbs I can see spike from 6 to 12 which lasts throughout the day, but the next day it will be back in 5 to 6 range (assuming eat little or no carbs on that day).

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
does it really take a week for effect? I guess it depends on person, but if I stuff myself with carbs I can see spike from 6 to 12 which lasts throughout the day, but the next day it will be back in 5 to 6 range (assuming eat little or no carbs on that day).
That drop in bgl you show here is NOT due to Metformin. It is your body producing enough insulin to deal with the excess glucose.